Just picked up a Trek rail 9.7 (EMTB)

MOTO13
Got a Trek Rail 9.7 last Sat from Wheel and Sprocket. Rode it Monday at John Muir here in Wisconsin. I can say without hesitation, that I am very happy with it. For those of you that have never ridden an EMTB...I was on the lowest pedal assist setting (ECO) for about 4 30 minute loops. It feels like someone is pushing you as you ride. Anything over ECO and it was simply too fast for the trails honestly...lol. The bike is friggin incredible. I will never go back to a regular MTB again. It's super quiet, powerful as heck. I don't post much, but thought some of you may be interested.
|
MOTO13
9/11/2020 8:54am
I rode it on turbo for like 30 seconds in the parking lot. It feels like the Hulk is pushing you as you pedal.

Who thumbs down a new MTB bike???...lol. WTF??
thejake
9/11/2020 7:47pm
I think a lot of people just hate ebikes hence the down votes. I used to be one of those people that hated them but now I just figure if your out riding and having fun it’s all good. As long as the user is respectful, this is a big deal on multi use trails, and not poaching trails that specifically have signs up saying “no ebikes” it’s no big deal. Glad your having fun man.
MOTO13
9/12/2020 5:44am
Well, I don't get the entire hate e-bike deal at all. Snapped my left leg last year racing MX. Completely severed off both the tib/fib right below the knee. Two operations, a bone graft from my pelvis, two 7" plates and 40 screws later, I can finally do something. The EMTB is a god send. Got me back on the bike again. These things are the future, like it or not. They're here and they aren't going to go away. Most people who hate them have probably never even ridden one. I would never consider a non e bike ever again. They are a game changer 100%.
9/16/2020 10:14am
MOTO13 wrote:
Well, I don't get the entire hate e-bike deal at all. Snapped my left leg last year racing MX. Completely severed off both the tib/fib right...
Well, I don't get the entire hate e-bike deal at all. Snapped my left leg last year racing MX. Completely severed off both the tib/fib right below the knee. Two operations, a bone graft from my pelvis, two 7" plates and 40 screws later, I can finally do something. The EMTB is a god send. Got me back on the bike again. These things are the future, like it or not. They're here and they aren't going to go away. Most people who hate them have probably never even ridden one. I would never consider a non e bike ever again. They are a game changer 100%.
It's cool that an ebike lets you ride again after an injury and you can have fun again, but you need to understand that you are a bad person for wanting to ride, because you didn't work for your descent (shuttling is an exception, that is super hard work).
MOTO13
9/16/2020 11:29am
Lol...tell me about it. You should have to work for every foot you ride on a bike...feel the burn before you earn your drop. I've ridden a MTB for years and probably have more miles under my belt than most. I could have gotten back on a regular bike with no problem. I've done it before with other injuries over the past 30 years of riding and racing MX. But when I tried my buddy's EMTB (Haibike 6.0 Fatty)...that was it...I'm getting an EMTB. It makes me laugh when I hear goons shooting off their mouths about EMTB's. Like they're going to stop e bikes or shame people into not getting them. It's like these people are in 4th grade or some shit.
Skerby
3/1/2021 12:54pm
I think a lot of people are just resistant to it dude. Ebikes are pretty fucking weird if you were a hardcore mountain biker before they existed (you know, like 4 years ago).

Basically this thing that nobody asked for shows up and completely changes the game at your local riding area. Then the bro riding it just won't shut up about how everybody needs one, like 'we already enjoyed this past time, we don't need to spend more money to have fun.
MOTO13
3/2/2021 6:52am
I suppose certain people will never come to terms with EMTB's. Apparently the more difficult it is the better to keep outsiders away from "their" sport. They say it takes away some of the work...and it absolutely does. These are the same people that hit the down hills and then jump on a chairlift or load it up on the truck back to the top. Yeah, that's real hardcore right there.
3/2/2021 7:09am
MOTO13 wrote:
I suppose certain people will never come to terms with EMTB's. Apparently the more difficult it is the better to keep outsiders away from "their" sport...
I suppose certain people will never come to terms with EMTB's. Apparently the more difficult it is the better to keep outsiders away from "their" sport. They say it takes away some of the work...and it absolutely does. These are the same people that hit the down hills and then jump on a chairlift or load it up on the truck back to the top. Yeah, that's real hardcore right there.
Wait until you find out about the people that shuttle their ebikes
MOTO13
3/2/2021 7:31am
MOTO13 wrote:
I suppose certain people will never come to terms with EMTB's. Apparently the more difficult it is the better to keep outsiders away from "their" sport...
Wait until you find out about the people that shuttle their ebikes
That's what I meant. It boggles the mind...lol. I hate emtbs because they take away the work and you have to earn your burn in my MTB world. As the get shuttled and lifted to the next drop point...lol.

Go try and buy an EMTB. Good luck even finding one without a wait. Now, go find a regular MTB. They'll ask... how many you want?
Skerby
3/2/2021 10:34am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2021 10:39am
I think they're cool anyways lol. I think it just caught a lot of people by surprise, maybe would have received a warmer welcome if the industry let the enduro craze cool down a touch more.

Or if they came earlier. To me it felt like the industry was like 'Yea, pedaling is sick!" and then in a few years time they pivoted to "Dont ever pedal again without assist!"
MOTO13
3/2/2021 2:57pm
I say do whatever you like. If you like emtb, cool. If not...pedal til you guts ache. But, don't dislike or ridicule people who LOVE them them because they "pedal assist" and then those same people tank their fat ass in a shuttle or on a chairlift.
Holeshot413
3/23/2021 6:28pm
MOTO13 wrote:
I say do whatever you like. If you like emtb, cool. If not...pedal til you guts ache. But, don't dislike or ridicule people who LOVE them...
I say do whatever you like. If you like emtb, cool. If not...pedal til you guts ache. But, don't dislike or ridicule people who LOVE them them because they "pedal assist" and then those same people tank their fat ass in a shuttle or on a chairlift.
Congrats on the new ride, I just picked up a new Yamaha e mtb a week ago and love it. I’m almost 60 and 45 years of motocross and mountain biking have just about trashed my knees and this bike has rejuvenated and extended my cycling life! Can’t wait for spring and summer 😎
Suns_PSD
3/24/2021 4:29am
E-bikes are a hazard on my local trails (CTX) because we are bi-directional, tight & windy, getting a bit crowded and beginners tend to gravitate towards e-bikes. Also, they are just way too much power for the space we have. They are also specifically forbidden by law on public trails.

That said, I've ridden in other locations with huge boring road climbs and 1 way descents, and in those locations I'm certain that they are amazing and totally appropriate and when I retire to one of those locations I'll 100% own one, possibly as my only big bike.
Holeshot413
3/24/2021 4:56am
Suns_PSD wrote:
E-bikes are a hazard on my local trails (CTX) because we are bi-directional, tight & windy, getting a bit crowded and beginners tend to gravitate towards...
E-bikes are a hazard on my local trails (CTX) because we are bi-directional, tight & windy, getting a bit crowded and beginners tend to gravitate towards e-bikes. Also, they are just way too much power for the space we have. They are also specifically forbidden by law on public trails.

That said, I've ridden in other locations with huge boring road climbs and 1 way descents, and in those locations I'm certain that they are amazing and totally appropriate and when I retire to one of those locations I'll 100% own one, possibly as my only big bike.
A”share” the trails 🏁
MOTO13
3/24/2021 8:23am
CONGRATS on the new ride HS. I just rode mine over this past weekend and forgot how fast it was. After a few months of not riding due to winter, it was great to get back on. Yeah, I raced MX also. But, due to my injury in March 2019, I finally decided that was my last ride. EMTB make everything better and is a great substitute for MX. Actually looking at buying another EMTB. Just waiting for availability to ease up a bit. It's not like looking for a regular MTB.

Yeah, 2 way trails are insane and make no sense and have nothing to do with E bikes. That's just a crazy trail system. I ride all single track. As far as beginners leaning towards emtb's, I haven't seen that around me at all. Quite the opposite. Not a lot of beginners riding $6k+ bikes. EMTB's are definitely the savior of this sport as far as I am concerned.

Holeshot413
3/24/2021 9:12am
MOTO13 wrote:
CONGRATS on the new ride HS. I just rode mine over this past weekend and forgot how fast it was. After a few months of not...
CONGRATS on the new ride HS. I just rode mine over this past weekend and forgot how fast it was. After a few months of not riding due to winter, it was great to get back on. Yeah, I raced MX also. But, due to my injury in March 2019, I finally decided that was my last ride. EMTB make everything better and is a great substitute for MX. Actually looking at buying another EMTB. Just waiting for availability to ease up a bit. It's not like looking for a regular MTB.

Yeah, 2 way trails are insane and make no sense and have nothing to do with E bikes. That's just a crazy trail system. I ride all single track. As far as beginners leaning towards emtb's, I haven't seen that around me at all. Quite the opposite. Not a lot of beginners riding $6k+ bikes. EMTB's are definitely the savior of this sport as far as I am concerned.

You nailed it

Post a reply to: Just picked up a Trek rail 9.7 (EMTB)

The Latest