World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

6/7/2019 11:55pm
Who is on the giant reign at leogang? I saw it in one of the YouTube vids from practice day. Couldn’t get the number plate.
brash
6/8/2019 10:04pm
Who is on the giant reign at leogang? I saw it in one of the YouTube vids from practice day. Couldn’t get the number plate.
Marcelo Gutierrez Villegas
6/9/2019 12:29am
iceman2058 wrote:
Take a ride down the updated Leogang course with Gee - looks awkward and might provide some extra drama if the race is wet: [embed] https://youtu.be/b7mPJzcCVF0...
Take a ride down the updated Leogang course with Gee - looks awkward and might provide some extra drama if the race is wet:

Looks like Gee is rolling on a Bontrager tire for leogang (and Ft. Will from prior photos), could it be a sharpie job on a G5 or possibly some proto in the works from Conti!

6/9/2019 1:46am
brash wrote:
Marcelo Gutierrez Villegas
Def not Pablo he was riding the glory. I reckon it’s a privateer
brash
6/9/2019 2:14am
Sorry I get reign and glory mixed up there. The dude on the enduro bike is Pierre Lunel I think. Dude rips!
6/9/2019 3:11am
iceman2058 wrote:
Take a ride down the updated Leogang course with Gee - looks awkward and might provide some extra drama if the race is wet: [embed] https://youtu.be/b7mPJzcCVF0...
Take a ride down the updated Leogang course with Gee - looks awkward and might provide some extra drama if the race is wet:

Looks like Gee is rolling on a Bontrager tire for leogang (and Ft. Will from prior photos), could it be a sharpie job on a G5...
Looks like Gee is rolling on a Bontrager tire for leogang (and Ft. Will from prior photos), could it be a sharpie job on a G5 or possibly some proto in the works from Conti!

Conti Kaiser
6/9/2019 12:18pm
iceman2058 wrote:

Looks like Gee is rolling on a Bontrager tire for leogang (and Ft. Will from prior photos), could it be a sharpie job on a G5...

Conti Kaiser
Definitely not a Conti Kaiser. The Kaiser and the Der Kaiser both have uniform shaped cornering lugs, they’re identical and evenly spaced across the tire. This has variable shaped and siped cornering lugs and they have the little braking nubs a-la DHF/G5/Butcher. Also the kaiser hasn’t been made for years so I doubt they would have a 29er version of it available. Unless, that is, that these are Protos of a new Kaiser.
6/11/2019 10:25am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 10:27am
So Vital - have you guys considered doing a piece on the fact that 2 or 3 out of 5 (several anyway) on the woman elite podium of a world cup are all privateers? I dunno - a number 3 junior male placement on the podiium was seemingly a big deal, so perhaps it could be an intersting angle?

It would also be interesting to see a video of somebody walk around the pits and ask all the major teams what they thought about both the level of support and the development in both junior (male and female) and female elite ranks as well. If nothing else, hopefully it could yield some logistical support and tutoring for female elite riders (and hopefully male and female juniors as well) if nothing else.

Perhaps it should not be made a requirement, but it would be good to see some regulation stipulating support of both a female elite rider, and male and female juniors for all of the major teams. Again, not a requirement to provide a hefty pay check, but to facilitate logistical support, know how and support during race weekends and perhaps also to provide equipment. Aka - to help bridge the gap.

That being said - it could be that that kind of support is already in place unofficially on the circuit. If so - good. If not, one would think that it would be an easy win that could help lift the support to new heights. Smile
Verbl Kint
6/30/2019 9:40am
Martin basically announced that he's gunning for the World Championship in MSA. I wonder if he'll race a World Cup before that.
6/30/2019 11:13am
Verbl Kint wrote:
Martin basically announced that he's gunning for the World Championship in MSA. I wonder if he'll race a World Cup before that.
Surely he is banned from World Cups too no? He can't race EWS Whistler and there isn't one between that and MSA so i doubt it.
Verbl Kint
6/30/2019 8:37pm
Verbl Kint wrote:
Surely he is banned from World Cups too no? He can't race EWS Whistler and there isn't one between that and MSA so i doubt it.
I did a bit of checking and you are right.

Martin was meted out a 90-day suspension and the sanction took effect May 13 (day after EWS Madeira). This lapses on Sunday, August 11th, which is the same weekend as Lenzerheide and Whistler.

sspomer
7/2/2019 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 1:24pm
POV of the new US world cup DH track at snowshoe, west virginia coming later tonight! neko and dak crush it. bring tire inserts and learn to jump.

7/5/2019 9:34am
So Vital - have you guys considered doing a piece on the fact that 2 or 3 out of 5 (several anyway) on the woman elite...
So Vital - have you guys considered doing a piece on the fact that 2 or 3 out of 5 (several anyway) on the woman elite podium of a world cup are all privateers? I dunno - a number 3 junior male placement on the podiium was seemingly a big deal, so perhaps it could be an intersting angle?

It would also be interesting to see a video of somebody walk around the pits and ask all the major teams what they thought about both the level of support and the development in both junior (male and female) and female elite ranks as well. If nothing else, hopefully it could yield some logistical support and tutoring for female elite riders (and hopefully male and female juniors as well) if nothing else.

Perhaps it should not be made a requirement, but it would be good to see some regulation stipulating support of both a female elite rider, and male and female juniors for all of the major teams. Again, not a requirement to provide a hefty pay check, but to facilitate logistical support, know how and support during race weekends and perhaps also to provide equipment. Aka - to help bridge the gap.

That being said - it could be that that kind of support is already in place unofficially on the circuit. If so - good. If not, one would think that it would be an easy win that could help lift the support to new heights. Smile
I like this angle, but also taking the time to mention our race program, SRAM TLD RACING, has been full support of developing the 'next gen' from when we started the program in 2014, with Luca and Walker, and to present day with Vali Holl and Lucas Cruz. Yeah, small program, but, 2 industry brands doing it's part in modeling a jr development program to build the future. Not the 'only' program, but pretty proud of what we are doing. It is a part time project for everyone involved as we all have our 'normal' jobs, but we all LOVE being involved with the program and being part of the future's journey.

Wyn's privateer fund is a fun little thing brewing too-maybe some larger crowd sourced funds for Jr's and Women-as they get the least support, would be cool. Just needs someone to start it, and manage the allocation of funds. Hell, id even be down for a pay to watch redbull TV platform, the funds are public viewing, and those funds generated from viewing access go into this pool - weird, but, there is interest in the sport of DH, its the king shit of MTB racing, and it's starting to brew a new resurgence.
7/8/2019 8:50am
I see all these posts saying that "Gwin is finsihed" and that he and the old guard can't keep up with the young guns. We forget that he won Maribor just last year, then was on a winning pace until he wrecked at Ft Bill, and took 2nd at Leogang with a broken thumb. This year he has one 6th place before his string of injuries and I guess you aren't allowed a single bad race anymore. He wasn't over-cooking it to "try and keep up"; I won't fault anyone for crashing in Andorra this year with those conditions.
7/8/2019 9:25am
I see all these posts saying that "Gwin is finsihed" and that he and the old guard can't keep up with the young guns. We forget...
I see all these posts saying that "Gwin is finsihed" and that he and the old guard can't keep up with the young guns. We forget that he won Maribor just last year, then was on a winning pace until he wrecked at Ft Bill, and took 2nd at Leogang with a broken thumb. This year he has one 6th place before his string of injuries and I guess you aren't allowed a single bad race anymore. He wasn't over-cooking it to "try and keep up"; I won't fault anyone for crashing in Andorra this year with those conditions.
Maribor last year?! There was no worldcup
jeff.brines
7/8/2019 10:31am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 10:34am
The mob is cruel! Poor Gwin. He'll be back. His lifestyle is clean, work ethic strong and competitive spirit too great. Only reason you won't see him on the top step is if any of these injuries make him throw in the towel. Otherwise, the dude is one of the best of all time. He'll get it figured out. This is just like when he switched to the big S a number of years ago. I think if you read between the lines he hasn't absolutely loved the Intense, despite all his ranting and raving about it. My rational there is he couldn't decide on a size coming into the first race. That tells me he isn't totally gelling with it, as do his results.

No doubt however competition in WC downhill and EWS is on a different level. What it used to take to win now won't even put you in the top 20.
7/8/2019 10:32am
grinch wrote:
*Losinje Croatia maybe?
Haha yes! Sorry I'm not the most intellectual person around here. Thats what I meant.
sundaydoug
7/8/2019 10:50am
In an interview with AG right before finals that aired on the live-feed he mentioned that the rider in front of him stopped short during his practice run which ended up causing the crash. Maybe the rider is out of the shot, but on his helmet cam it just looks like he just flat out shoulder-checks that tree. You can tell that one hurt for sure
Roots_rider
7/8/2019 1:28pm
I see all these posts saying that "Gwin is finsihed" and that he and the old guard can't keep up with the young guns. We forget...
Not saying he is or isn’t out. But, to say he was on a “winning pace” is a bit gratuitous...I mean, yeah he managed to ride really well for that first 10-15 seconds of a 4:40 minute race.
bizutch
7/8/2019 1:37pm
sundaydoug wrote:
In an interview with AG right before finals that aired on the live-feed he mentioned that the rider in front of him stopped short during his...
In an interview with AG right before finals that aired on the live-feed he mentioned that the rider in front of him stopped short during his practice run which ended up causing the crash. Maybe the rider is out of the shot, but on his helmet cam it just looks like he just flat out shoulder-checks that tree. You can tell that one hurt for sure
He mentioned the dust. I think he was referencing the rider hucking up dust after possibly going down & therefore bad visibility.
He immediately stated it was 100% his fault & didn't blame the other rider in the very next sentence. You can even see the cloud getting thicker.
Biggest thing with the dust there is that in the shadows, you can see better than when you hit the patches of sun which block visibility & double down by reflecting & refracting the light like crazy.

It's a crap situation. Did it sound more like he was implying he had to dodge the rider is where the confusion is?
Verbl Kint
7/8/2019 6:18pm
AG is definitely far from finished.

I'm pretty sure him, John Hall and John Steber are going to get the M29 absolutely dialed by next season. People easily forget that Aaron had to hustle hard and hustle quickly in the off-season after YT unceremoniously ended their relationship. Time which could have been spent on bike development and getting acclimated to the linkage design and geo was instead used to make deals and build a new team.
7/9/2019 8:51am
rtclark wrote:
New demo is now available. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/07/09/8283/s1200_demo1.jpg[/img] https://www.specialized.com/us/en/demo-race-29/p/170588?color=262644-170588
The review will be live here on the site in 10 minutes when the embargo lifts! Wink
7/11/2019 12:21am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 12:22am
With P7 in Andorra, David Trummer scored his best World Cup result to date. But who is David Trummer, and what about the team he races for, Team Racing Dudes? Some answers below:
-------------------------------------------------
YT introduces: Team Racing Dudes

Three rad dudes, three fast bikes, one hell of a season: Since David Trummer has been kicking ass at the latest World Cup races, voices have been getting louder asking who this guy is and where he's been all the time. The "Team Racing Dudes" sponsor YT is happy to shed some light on the matter by introducing David and his team mates.

Erik Irmisch, Johann Potgieter and David Trummer are Team Racing Dudes, they’re competing at World Cups and other high profile downhill races around the world onboard the TUES 29. Erik and Johann have been travelling the world and racing as Team Racing Dudes for five years now. In January, they decided to extend their roster recruiting reigning Austrain Downill Champion, David Trummer. Another team member is Lars Diedenhofen, founder of 70ID, who supports the team as a mechanic and with his painting skills. Lars was the man behind the custom YT frames for Rampage in 2018 and is THE MAN when it comes to custom paint jobs, as shown by the frames of the Racing Dudes.

Erik "Irm" Irmisch

Irm has been one of the fastest downhill riders in Germany for over 10 years and is firmly rooted in the German MTB scene. He can look back on some successes in the iXS Downhill Cup and in 2018 he took part in Red Bull Hardline – a true life experience, as he says himself. In order to share his experience and his knowledge with ambitious young riders, he founded the West East Bike School together with Heiko Hirzbuch. In the camps, Irm not only helps the participants with riding techniques, but above all focuses on the fun aspect of mountain biking that anyone can enjoy! The camps take place between races and during the off-season both in Germany and South Africa. "Good Times" are all inclusive! This spirit is why we love to have Irm in the YT Family. Since 2009 he has been on a YT and is an integral part of our bike development process. Whether TUES or JEFFSY: Irm is one of our riders that receives prototypes to put them through their paces and we make changes based on his feedback.

Johann "Pottie" Potgieter

South African Johann "Pottie" Potgieter and Irm primarly founded the team Racing Dudes to have a good time together on their YT bikes. Meanwhile, the two compete not only in competition for kebabs, but also in races such as the iXS Cup, where they recently shared the podium. Speaking of sharing: Pottie also actively promotes riding within the younger community, passing on his downhill experience at the West East Bike School camps in South Africa. Incidentally, Pottie runs his own coffee shop "Pottie's Coffee" in Port Elizabeth.

David "Daveboy“ Trummer

Since January 2019, David Trummer, the reigning Austrian downhill champion, has competed for Team Racing Dudes. So far his World Cup season has been his best yet, finishing 15th in Maribor, 14th in Fort William and his latest result 7th in Andorra. With 4 World Cup races behind him David is sitting 16th in the overall, which is incredible and we can't wait to see what the second half of the season will look like for him. He brought his mechanic Jens "Jensen" Prahlow along for the journey and has a high level of support both at the races and with training at home. Some of David's favorite tracks are still to come on the World Cup calendar, he’s fired up with plenty more in the tank.

The choice of the dudes: YT TUES 29

The guys are serious about downhill racing and for good reason they choose the YT TUES 29. Made for full-on racing, it's the perfect bike for speed and stability and therefore the only option for the gnarly tracks these guys are racing on. The rest of the bike is complemented with SRAM drivetrain and brakes, Rockshox suspension and Truvativ cockpit, whilst wheels are provided by DT Swiss and Maxxis Tires for uncompromising performance.

As a sponsor YT is stoked about the success of Team Racing Dudes, thankful for the support and looking forward to the upcoming races. Stay greedy, guys!

Photos by Rick Schubert
Video by Ralph Schupp

Post a reply to: World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

The Latest