World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

sspomer
5/30/2019 3:08pm
amaury's sense of humor?

followed by this photo in his insta stories...

jeff.brines
5/30/2019 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 3:27pm
^^. Chirp. Chirp.
harorider13
5/30/2019 3:31pm
Santa Cruz are awesome for sponsoring all of Cathro's travel this year that is f'ing commendable
harorider13
5/30/2019 5:06pm
bturman wrote:
Ben Cathro and Greg Minnaar go deep in this interview:

https://youtu.be/KhLeyUPF-pA
In all sports, people are obsessed with the thought of when a legend/future hall of famer is going to retire. From this video and his AMA on the other site among a number of other interviews its always "When are you going to retire?". I don't get it... I'm tuning in to watch Minnaar race World Cups every time, hope the guys around for years more. I guess I just don't get the fascination with it
sspomer
5/30/2019 7:58pm
greg has been busy. loic bruni corners him and grills him in outspoken ep. 2. knowledge dropped for days.
5/31/2019 3:47am
A fresh new web series just launched, perfect for keeping up with some of your favorite American downhillers:

harorider13
5/31/2019 8:37am
Scotland living up to its reputation, not only is it raining race day, it’s raining for the foreseeable future. At least it’s no surprise going to be a wet race

5/31/2019 8:55am
The UCI has just announced an extra, single-run training opportunity for Elite Women ranked 6-15 on race day, just before the last Elite Men's training schedule (which the top-5 Elite Women already have access to as of this year). This levels the playing field somewhat for the women ranked 6-15 who now get a chance to feel out the track a bit closer in time to their race run, in addition to their race day early morning session.
---------------------------------
PRESS RELEASE: UCI

The Women’s rider representative Myriam Nicole has recently been in contact with the top-15 riders to discuss group training.

Due to the short notice there will be no change to the published training schedule: Women will train with Group B, and the top-5 Women can also train with Group A.

However, on Sunday there will also be an opportunity for the riders 6 - 15 to do a single non-stop run at 10:50am - 10:56am between the finish of the Men Junior race and the start of official training for the Elite Men riders who have qualified for the Final. Myriam will continue to liaise with the riders and the UCI to ensure any possible future changes to schedule will be communicated well in advance of the event.
-----------------------------------
bturman
5/31/2019 1:33pm
Brendog out for Fort William:

abe
5/31/2019 2:00pm
am I the only one hyped to see more of finn iles? I feel like hes such a talented rider, but no one seems to know who he is
abe
5/31/2019 2:01pm
Scotland living up to its reputation, not only is it raining race day, it’s raining for the foreseeable future. At least it’s no surprise going to...
Scotland living up to its reputation, not only is it raining race day, it’s raining for the foreseeable future. At least it’s no surprise going to be a wet race

its gonna be a gnarly one for sure
peecee
5/31/2019 2:29pm
Scotland living up to its reputation, not only is it raining race day, it’s raining for the foreseeable future. At least it’s no surprise going to...

Weather in the UK is so hard to predict like anywhere but from the 2 sites i go off it may not be the worst for qualis (but then again these forecasts are for the town not what’s happening on top of the hill)

peecee
5/31/2019 5:35pm
Mmmm his story should of say tweaked my ankle again today not please heel faster, seems to me that his ankle isn’t up to scratch and it’s another social media story excuse
6/1/2019 2:40am
Catch up on news, gossip, and of course the weather with your favorite WynTV reporter coming in wet and cold from the Scottish Highlands:

6/1/2019 2:59am
All the action along with expert analysis and insights as Eliot Jackson and Red Bull take you trackside in Fort William during Friday's practice and timed training sessions:

jeff.brines
6/1/2019 6:40am
Serious Question...

Would anyone here pay for a "season pass" (like motocross) to be able to watch a live feed of qualifying? I would. I'd pay $50 or something to watch it through the year.

RedBull is already there filming, and I get paying for the crew isn't free, but just to put a handful of camera men on course and then have the control booth toggle between them for everyone's run, even without a commentator, I'd be in.

Net cost to RedBull would be minimal being I have to think their fixed costs of filming are the big chunk compared to the variable cost of one more day for a handful of dudes. (Maybe $5K?)
6/1/2019 7:23am
Serious Question... Would anyone here pay for a "season pass" (like motocross) to be able to watch a live feed of qualifying? I would. I'd pay...
Serious Question...

Would anyone here pay for a "season pass" (like motocross) to be able to watch a live feed of qualifying? I would. I'd pay $50 or something to watch it through the year.

RedBull is already there filming, and I get paying for the crew isn't free, but just to put a handful of camera men on course and then have the control booth toggle between them for everyone's run, even without a commentator, I'd be in.

Net cost to RedBull would be minimal being I have to think their fixed costs of filming are the big chunk compared to the variable cost of one more day for a handful of dudes. (Maybe $5K?)
100% Yes. Double up the amount of racing watched on the weekend would be well worth the cost.
sspomer
6/1/2019 7:27am
Serious Question... Would anyone here pay for a "season pass" (like motocross) to be able to watch a live feed of qualifying? I would. I'd pay...
Serious Question...

i definitely would.
vinny4130
6/1/2019 8:38am
I would pay however the number of track cameras would need to increase I want see more wooded areas and not motorways.
sundaydoug
6/1/2019 9:14am
Serious Question...

Yup
k.shiz
6/1/2019 12:16pm
Serious Question...

Definitely not $5k.

Not saying that sales of a "season pass" with extra access to media would not be able to offset the additional expense for production on that extra day but it's a lot more than $5k I would guess. I can't speak to the specifics of how Red Bull is running things but you're potentially having to bring in the cam ops a day earlier, that includes lodging, per diem, and work meals. Any additional support crew like assistant camera crew, same thing. If you want audio on that feed you'll have to be paying for an audio supervisor and any sound utility crew who now also potentially have to be brought in and supported a day earlier. The tech truck people have to get in a day earlier to build out and get things running in time to capture qualifiers and that's more than just one person at a board switching feed from camera to camera. That's a whole bunch of people who have to run miles of cable on the hillside, build out the data pipeline, get the control room operational, etc. All those people need to get there and do this a day earlier now too.

It would not surprise me if it was more than an order of magnitude more expensive than $5k. My guess would be closer to 50k. Could they sell a thousand subscriptions to that extra access at $50 worldwide per season? Probably. I likely would buy into it. But production ain't cheap. And it's rarely as simple as just tossing a few dudes at a location with a camera for an extra day.
shreda
6/1/2019 1:16pm
Gwin on aluminium cranks this weekend... Wink

And is he running Crankbros pedals? MTB-news clearly took the pics of his bike.

Loki87
6/1/2019 1:31pm
Not just only for qualifying.
Only if it´d bring other value alongside it, like more cameras.
Also they´d have to first make the situation better for all the independent media guys on the track before i´d trust RB with going full paid coverage.
I fear if they´d go for it, they´d agressively protect their property and kill amazing things like cathrovision in the process.

Post a reply to: World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

The Latest