World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

Loki87
4/30/2019 10:56am
Sorry in advance if this has been covered already, but no signs of Martin Maes? Perhaps he's going full enduro? I know the talk at the...
Sorry in advance if this has been covered already, but no signs of Martin Maes? Perhaps he's going full enduro? I know the talk at the end of last season was to race the first two rounds of each WC DH and EWS and decide what series to go from there.

Any pointers will be appreciated!

thanks,
Apparently the dates are overlapping so that plan was probably doomed from the beginning anyways. That´s just what i read somewhere though.
I´d say given his start to the season and the hyper competitive field in dh, he´s better off just finishing the enduro season in the top spot and raise his market value in doing so, instead of risking injury in a dh race just for bragging rights.
4/30/2019 1:49pm
Vali Holl certainly had a good start to her season - go behind the scenes to see how it all unfolded:

5/1/2019 12:48am
More team videos from Maribor!

Charlie Harrison with a career best 4th place finish for Trek Factory Racing

Great result for Unior Devinci at what is essentially their home race

Big Bird
5/1/2019 8:33am
Charlie's manual to table was sweet!
5/2/2019 7:56am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 7:57am
The Syndicate dropping some stats from Loris Vergier's Maribor race run - Loris with some insights into how he's planning to attack this race season as well:

5/8/2019 12:19am
Relive all the excitement of Aaron Gwin's first race with Intense Factory Racing in the first team race edit of the 2019 season:

bizutch
5/9/2019 11:58am
iceman2058 wrote:
Relive all the excitement of Aaron Gwin's first race with Intense Factory Racing in the first team race edit of the 2019 season:

Anybody want to make a techno music loop overlay of Neko warming up at 5:20.
bturman
5/10/2019 11:29am
Between the Races with Amaury Pierron

We spent some time with Amaury Pierron at his home #BetweenTheRaces to find out what the DH World Cup 2018 Champion does on and off the bike. Amaury takes us behind the scenes of his hometown in Brioud, France, to expand on his love for Moto and how he keeps balance in his life while training.

Get up close and personal with the current world champ and get his take on his quest for another domination in the World Cup season.
5/13/2019 7:15am
It's that time of year, when some of the world's top racers head to Fort William for a dress rehearsal before the World Cup hits town. Fresh BDS action from this weekend below (Rachel and Gee went on to win):

mwolpin
5/20/2019 1:55pm
Did he shear the pedal off the crank? Holy cow!

If I recall correctly, he's running E13 cranks, right?
depeche4
5/20/2019 2:08pm
sspomer wrote:
gwin's ankle tweaker from mtn creek pro grt : (

mwolpin wrote:
Did he shear the pedal off the crank? Holy cow!

If I recall correctly, he's running E13 cranks, right?
Think I read on the "other site" he did snap the crank right off which lead to this.
Fox
5/20/2019 3:00pm
Damn. I really hope he has not mangled his ankle as that can be a terrible injury that can be very difficult to recover from. A broken crank arm in this day and age? That is a pretty sad display of quality from his crank manufacturer.
5/20/2019 3:07pm
I think it was the first Transcontinental VHS, where Palmer snapped his BB spindle at Kaprun '99. Put his foot on the frame and carried on to finish. You'd think we'd have evolved past this issue in 20 years, yet here we are.
5/20/2019 3:54pm
Fox wrote:
Damn. I really hope he has not mangled his ankle as that can be a terrible injury that can be very difficult to recover from. A...
Damn. I really hope he has not mangled his ankle as that can be a terrible injury that can be very difficult to recover from. A broken crank arm in this day and age? That is a pretty sad display of quality from his crank manufacturer.
Same, haven't found any news about how bad the hit to his ankle was.

He's not the only rider who had problems at that exact spot, the landing was hell. I have a friend of mine who raced this weekend and snapped his crank arm right off at the exact same place.
grinch
5/20/2019 4:10pm
Fox wrote:
Damn. I really hope he has not mangled his ankle as that can be a terrible injury that can be very difficult to recover from. A...
Same, haven't found any news about how bad the hit to his ankle was. He's not the only rider who had problems at that exact spot...

He's not the only rider who had problems at that exact spot, the landing was hell. I have a friend of mine who raced this weekend and snapped his crank arm right off at the exact same place.
I’m curious what crank he was running?
FCP
5/20/2019 4:18pm
Yikes, you can see the pedal go flying!
jeff.brines
5/20/2019 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2019 5:57pm
Thought it was interesting he came down to "internet peasant land" (that's what I call it) to defend the product and ask Vital to pull the post. Part of me understands this. Part of me goes "cmon dude, that is overstepping a line you don't have control over". I understand he wants to be a good business partner for his sponsors. I understand he wants to put his best foot forward. But I'm not so sure I like him trying to pull strings to keep things hidden that really aren't that big of a deal. Reminds me of how he asked for all the podcast questions in advance, which frankly I also found lame. Why not just be yourself? By all accounts Gwin is an honest, rad, hard working dude and a total icon. He shouldn't worry so much about speaking "perfectly" to an audience as much as simply speaking his mind (see also: Steve Pete, Josh Bryceland, Cedric, Palmer, etc etc etc). The squeaky clean uber controlled image is lame. If I wanted robots I'd play video games.

Oh, and to those questioning the cranks, I have been around bikes long enough to know anyone can break anything (except those Profile three piece cranks...those were burly...but they weighed like 15 pounds). All the WC pros break things in ways that makes most of us go "huh?".

Just my $0.02

5/20/2019 6:38pm
Fox wrote:
Same, haven't found any news about how bad the hit to his ankle was. He's not the only rider who had problems at that exact spot...

grinch wrote:
He was running XO1 DH cranks, would've liked to show you guys the damage but it was an IG story and it's gone now.
nh dude
5/20/2019 6:39pm
Fox wrote:

Witnessed your buddy's incident from the lift.... we were shocked and glad to see him get up.
carbon cranks and bars no thanks...
grinch
5/20/2019 6:58pm

grinch wrote:
He was running XO1 DH cranks, would've liked to show you guys the damage but it was an IG story and it's gone now.
Thanks. I guess I've seen e13, sram, and rf carbon cranks come apart. The RF ones I've seen were the older next sl's. I have sixC's that I've had for a few years with no problems but I cant help thinking I'd be better off with aluminum shimano's, if only for piece of mind. Maybe sixC's and/or nextR's are ok?
5/20/2019 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2019 7:24pm
Gwin broke a crank in a similar fashion a year or two ago at the Bootleg Canyon winter series.
5/20/2019 9:01pm
Thought it was interesting he came down to "internet peasant land" (that's what I call it) to defend the product and ask Vital to pull the...
Thought it was interesting he came down to "internet peasant land" (that's what I call it) to defend the product and ask Vital to pull the post. Part of me understands this. Part of me goes "cmon dude, that is overstepping a line you don't have control over". I understand he wants to be a good business partner for his sponsors. I understand he wants to put his best foot forward. But I'm not so sure I like him trying to pull strings to keep things hidden that really aren't that big of a deal. Reminds me of how he asked for all the podcast questions in advance, which frankly I also found lame. Why not just be yourself? By all accounts Gwin is an honest, rad, hard working dude and a total icon. He shouldn't worry so much about speaking "perfectly" to an audience as much as simply speaking his mind (see also: Steve Pete, Josh Bryceland, Cedric, Palmer, etc etc etc). The squeaky clean uber controlled image is lame. If I wanted robots I'd play video games.

Oh, and to those questioning the cranks, I have been around bikes long enough to know anyone can break anything (except those Profile three piece cranks...those were burly...but they weighed like 15 pounds). All the WC pros break things in ways that makes most of us go "huh?".

Just my $0.02

You can tell Aaron’s a perfectionist. He likes to be thoughtful and accurate so asking for interview questions ahead doesn’t really bug me. I’ve done the same for a newspaper article that probably nobody ever read or cared about but I kinda suck at on-the-fly questions so I asked if I could get an idea of what they were wanting to know about ahead of time. If you’ve ever transcribed a conversation between friends it sounds good to listen to but reading it is awkward with all kinds of ums and yeah mans. Long live the podcast!
jimmypop
5/21/2019 3:55am
Gwin asked that the Instagram post be pulled? That's.. just no. Protect the income stream at all costs!
schwaaa31
5/21/2019 3:58am
Yikes.Not sure I’m buying this crap. Tossing Hall under the bus too. Pretty lame. The crank broke. They’re crap. It’s been pretty well documented. Why would you have a pair of 3 year old cranks in your pits anyway?
Nozes
5/21/2019 5:28am
30 years in this sport and I'm still reading the same BS as it was 1992.
Pre-production,defected batch, prototype,my a$$!
millsr4
5/21/2019 5:52am
schwaaa31 wrote:
Yikes.Not sure I’m buying this crap. Tossing Hall under the bus too. Pretty lame. The crank broke. They’re crap. It’s been pretty well documented. Why would...
Yikes.Not sure I’m buying this crap. Tossing Hall under the bus too. Pretty lame. The crank broke. They’re crap. It’s been pretty well documented. Why would you have a pair of 3 year old cranks in your pits anyway?
Thanks for the posting this since we don't all have IG! I've always had a ton of respect for this guy but this response is petty and childish. No wonder he wanted interview questions in advance... lol. That's what you get for riding carbon cranks! Tongue

Post a reply to: World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

The Latest