Why Do So Many People Think the New Enduro Looks Like a Nomad?

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 3:07pm
I get it that people want to be funny on the internet, but there are SO MANY comments about "i thought it was a santa cruz nomad" when referencing the new specialized enduro. i understand the angle and placement of the shock being similar, but that's about it. there's an upper link on the nomad and not the enduro, and the solid rear triangle of the nomad vs fsr of enduro just for starters...

also (and i posted this in the enduro article), the 2012 carbon demo had the low shock in the split seat tube. that frame was actually the inspiration for the new enduro according to brad benedict, so if that's part of the looks-like-a-nomad argument, it doesn't hold up too well.

|
Big Bird
8/16/2019 8:06pm
Same seat tube angle. Same head angle. Same top tube angle. Same shock position. Same down tube bend. And a vertical link in line with the seat tube.
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 9:09pm
Big Bird wrote:
Same seat tube angle. Same head angle. Same top tube angle. Same shock position. Same down tube bend. And a vertical link in line with the...
Same seat tube angle. Same head angle. Same top tube angle. Same shock position. Same down tube bend. And a vertical link in line with the seat tube.
Beat me to it. On a side note, hell of a Friday nigh I'm having over here...

via GIPHY

BHowell
8/17/2019 7:39am
I will preface this by saying that I find the whole, "looks like a..." statements rather off-putting. To that end, my eyes glazed over at all the comments surrounding the new Enduro.

Ironically, it wasn't until you put the two pictures together that I really see it: the front triangles look strikingly alike. So, aesthetically, yeah, they look a fair bit similar to each other. As for the idea stealing and whatnot statements...well, we all need to go ride our bikes.
8/18/2019 10:41am
@sspomer - mainly because people are lazy and when they see a small resemblance (which to be honest, the front triangle does have a bit) they say the whole thing was copied. Haters jumping on the fact the Specialized shock goes through a tunnel above the bottom bracket aren't paying attention to frame design of the mid-2000s. Just look at the 2005 Specialized Enduro or latter model year SX Trails. All of them did this well before Santa Cruz copied them Smile
Big Bird
8/18/2019 2:22pm
Just for the record, I made no mention of thievery or any subterfuge. Just similarities and trends.
Verbl Kint
8/19/2019 4:30pm
Does this mean we'll see a shootout soon aka Vital MTB Test Session? Cool
Big Bird
8/20/2019 7:42pm
I just realized why this is so obvious and true and possibly subconscious.. Santa Cruz is in Santa Cruz, and the best trails close to Morgan Hill, where Specialized is, are in Santa Cruz. So all the tester boys from Santa and Speck end up meeting up on the trails. Who knows, they might even share a shuttle or two. Word gets back to engineers. Of course the down tube needs to bend to make room for a lower shock.
GabeTrahan
8/21/2019 10:50am
The prototype for the new enduro was first being produced about 3 years ago actually, that's even before the new Demo or maybe before the gen 4 Nomads were being made into prototypes. It's hard to say who made it first, but Specialized has been spending a lot more time on their lower link design making it arguably better than some newer Santa Cruz models.
8/21/2019 2:03pm
GabeTrahan wrote:
The prototype for the new enduro was first being produced about 3 years ago actually, that's even before the new Demo or maybe before the gen...
The prototype for the new enduro was first being produced about 3 years ago actually, that's even before the new Demo or maybe before the gen 4 Nomads were being made into prototypes. It's hard to say who made it first, but Specialized has been spending a lot more time on their lower link design making it arguably better than some newer Santa Cruz models.
This was one of Santa Cruz's prototypes for the Nomad 3 back in 2013-14:

(from this article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-santa-cruz-nomad-2014.html)

And Santa Cruz has been working on their lower link design starting with the first V10 in 2002.

GabeTrahan
8/21/2019 3:07pm
I suppose both brands have been going lower and lower with their link design, starting in about 2000 both brands shock placements would get lower year after year.

Post a reply to: Why Do So Many People Think the New Enduro Looks Like a Nomad?

The Latest