UCI 2017 Event Schedule - Only 6 DH Races?

It's a little bit early days still, as the UCI typically releases its schedules around the end of June or even in July, but the 2017 calendar has nevertheless been updated on their site. Sadly, it seems as though we can only look forward to 6 rounds of DH action next year, all the more baffling given how popular the sport is and how well the events are currently being run.

The schedule is set to take in some classic venues like MSA, Fort William, and Val di Sole, before concluding in the Southern Hemisphere for World Champs in Cairns. There is no US round, and Lenzerheide will somewhat perplexingly apparently NOT host a DH in 2017, even though they invested in a new track (built by Sir Peaty himself), hosted a DH event in 2015 and will host one this year. They are still slated to host an XCO in 2017, so maybe they can still decide to add DH as well, time will tell if there is a further update to the schedule over the coming months.

29-30 Apr UCI MTB WORLD CUP - DHI Lourdes FRA
20-21 May UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO Nove Mesto na Morave CZE
27-28 May UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO Albstadt GER
3-4 Jun UCI MTB WORLD CUP - DHI Fort William GBR
10-11 Jun UCI MTB WORLD CUP - DHI Leogang AUT
1-2 Jul UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO - DHI Vallnord AND
8-9 Jul UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO Lenzerheide SUI
5-6 Aug UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO - DHI Mont-Sainte-Anne CAN
26-27 Aug UCI MTB WORLD CUP - XCO - DHI Val Di Sole ITA
5-10 Sep UCI MTB WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS - XCO/XCR/DHI Cairns AUS

|
AGR97
6/8/2016 2:11pm
This forum post I feel should be labelled "Why the UCI should no longer run Downhill"

Everything the UCI does annoys me, license fees, Kit regulations and fines, scheduling, crazy rules and dq's in races.

Just think how much better our sport would be if someone else besides these money grabbing roadies ran it, I'm looking at you Red Bull. The Enduro World Series has proved it to be possible.

Anyone else agree? If you can think of something good the UCI do for Downhill then please enlighten me.

Rant over.
taldfind
6/8/2016 2:56pm
Expand the Crankworx world tour to 7 stops! Those guys could do far better for mountain biking as a whole than the UCI.
sspomer
6/8/2016 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2016 4:00pm
taldfind wrote:
Expand the Crankworx world tour to 7 stops! Those guys could do far better for mountain biking as a whole than the UCI.
until the World Cup isn't the premiere race series, a different series just won't get the same number of world-caliber riders trying their hardest to compete. since UCI = world champs and there's so much in the cycling industry (road, track and MTB ) tied to the UCI, i don't know how that would change very easily. a MASSIVE prize payout to Top 20 at a bunch of races may pull them all in, but who's going to fund that for 5 or 10 races in a year? (i would have if i won that powerball thing a few months back, but i didn't win : ) you get that vibe at crankworx that the few world-class racers in attendance aren't really risking it like they do at a world cup, so it's just not really comparable IMO.

edit: only 6 races is pretty darn lame too.
kev.1n
6/8/2016 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2016 5:29pm
Once again, shaking my head at UCI.

Less rounds means every round is more important and makes the pressure for points that much higher. If a top guy misses out on one race for whatever reason, or crashes, their whole season is pretty much ruined, and that sucks.

It's also the same venues just being recycled with the same tracks, and in my opinion (and probably the pro riders too) that makes for some boring racing. Don't get me wrong, val di sol and Mont-Sainte-Anne are amazing venues, but ft. william and leogang are pretty burnt out tracks. (once again, my opinion.) I really want to see new and exciting tracks being put in place that get both riders and viewers stoked. There are amazing tracks and amazing bike parks all over the world (looking at you north america), why is the world cup still confined to these venues?

Crankworx would never be allowed because racers would be having too much fun, and you know UCI doesn't like that...

Is there any way we can get racers to collectively petition against UCI and insist some kind of radical change? The guys riding rampage managed to create change within their event, why can't everyone in the world cup stand behind a shift in how and where UCI organizes races. I know it's all politics and UCI would love to keep on doing what they do, but something needs to change. We need better/newer tracks, more rounds, and more relaxed rules and regulations. I also want Rob Warner swearing and saying wild shit again, he sounds like a news anchor these days. Viva la world cup Revolution

Inclag
6/8/2016 5:36pm
UCI is a racket in the the same vein that FIFA or IOC are. Once you realize this it's pretty easy to understand.
bblackyeti1
6/8/2016 6:09pm
UCI is the FIS of the freesking... seriously the action sports world needs to get their shit together
spammyg
6/8/2016 10:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2016 10:35pm
totes agree with everyone. UCI is a bunch of arse holes that only worry about their beloved road races (that are boring as hell) and couldnt give a shit about us poor DHers.
they are badly predjudiced against gender as well, which needs to stop.
bring on the revolution kev.1n!

MPH24
6/9/2016 5:40am
Does anyone know how much the UCI charge for hosting a WC? What some the requirements are? Or is it just a pay for the UCI delegates to come to town, put in the nicest hotel, wine/dine, and get some hookers to blow them?
tmano2
6/9/2016 6:41am
MPH24 wrote:
Does anyone know how much the UCI charge for hosting a WC? What some the requirements are? Or is it just a pay for the UCI...
Does anyone know how much the UCI charge for hosting a WC? What some the requirements are? Or is it just a pay for the UCI delegates to come to town, put in the nicest hotel, wine/dine, and get some hookers to blow them?
you have to meat some requirements like places for all racers,tem staff, uci staff and spectators to stay, i think you have to pay more or less 100.000,00€ and are for sure more parameters involved
sspomer
6/9/2016 7:13am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2016 8:23am
everyone will be stoked to know (sarcasm) that the natural woods section of leogang has been cut out of the course. apparently the riders aren't happy at all. pretty "bike parky" from top to bottom. now this wasn't necessarily the UCI's decision (we're waiting to hear if there's any offiical stance), but it's a bummer everyone seems unhappy w/ leogang this year.
Ahab
6/9/2016 7:43am
sspomer wrote:
everyone will be stoked to know (sarcasm) that the natural woods section of leogang has been cut out of the course. apparently the riders aren't happy...
everyone will be stoked to know (sarcasm) that the natural woods section of leogang has been cut out of the course. apparently the riders aren't happy at all. pretty "bike parky" from top to bottom. now this wasn't necessarily the UCI's decision (we're waiting to hear if there's any offiical stance), but it's a bummer everyone seems unhappy w/ leogang this year.
Hoping for some brutally honest talk from the riders in the trackwalk slideshow about this track and about next year's schedule.
AGR97
6/9/2016 7:50am
Ok here's what I'm thinking. In the next few years someone comes up with a series similar to EWS, for arguement's sake we'll call it the Downhill World Series. Venues that want to host rounds can, there'll be AT least ten rounds if not more. Scoring will be done to include a certain number of rounds at the start to encourage people to participate in enough to go for the overall. All the money from entry fees will go straight back into the organization. Improving the running of the events and meaning big prize pay outs for the top ten at least with a large one for winning the overall. The tracks will be decided on by experts or retired racers. Lenzerheide was designed by Steve Peat after all. With enough awesome tracks, good camera placement for a live feed, and big prize money it's only a matter of time before this series becomes bigger than the UCI Downhill series.
What do you guys think? Any problems to address or should I found the Downhill World Series?
6/9/2016 7:51am
sspomer wrote:
everyone will be stoked to know (sarcasm) that the natural woods section of leogang has been cut out of the course. apparently the riders aren't happy...
It was the one change that added a bit of drama and challenge to the course last year. Why they would get rid of it is completely beyond me.
blast_off
6/9/2016 8:21am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2016 8:21am
sspomer wrote:
sorry bud, but check out Brycelands instagram... he calls it "mega techy"

edit: the link haha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGcDpcvGbL8/?taken-by=ratboy_bryce
sspomer
6/9/2016 8:26am
blast_off wrote:
sorry bud, but check out Brycelands instagram... he calls it "mega techy"

edit: the link haha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGcDpcvGbL8/?taken-by=ratboy_bryce
considering bryceland's emoji's i'm guessing he's joking, but who knows.

rupert chapman's social media said "does anyone else just want to quit DH after that track walk?" and i just got a text from a photog saying "top wood section is gone, replaced with a muddy mess akin to a forestry operation. other tech tree section lower woods, trees removed. thanks red bull." - maybe bryce is saying drifts will happen b/c it's muddy? wondering if trees were removed to see webcast better? will be interesting regardless.
epic
6/9/2016 10:22am
I don't really understand people wanting new tracks for the World Cup. I mean yes, let's get rid of lame ones (I'm looking at you Cairns), but you don't see F1 fans being like "Man I am so sick of Spa-Francorchamps, Thank God this year we have Kazakhstan!"
sspomer
6/9/2016 11:13am
epic wrote:
I don't really understand people wanting new tracks for the World Cup. I mean yes, let's get rid of lame ones (I'm looking at you Cairns)...
I don't really understand people wanting new tracks for the World Cup. I mean yes, let's get rid of lame ones (I'm looking at you Cairns), but you don't see F1 fans being like "Man I am so sick of Spa-Francorchamps, Thank God this year we have Kazakhstan!"
gotta agree. the legacy of Fort William and MSA add an element of excitement IMO. make some minor track tweaks each time to spice things up, but classic sections are rad to look at and compare year after year.
6/9/2016 12:04pm
I will block this PR from Troy Lee's computer, he is always freaking that there was only 7 races!
Ahab
6/9/2016 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2016 12:12pm
I will block this PR from Troy Lee's computer, he is always freaking that there was only 7 races!
I was thinking about this—how do sponsors/teams/manufacturers feel about such a short season? Worth the ROI?
rawdog
6/9/2016 2:23pm
sspomer wrote:
the track looks completely tech in the same spots on helmet cam. i think some of the complainers from the venue were just upset the trees...
the track looks completely tech in the same spots on helmet cam. i think some of the complainers from the venue were just upset the trees were cut down. i'm calling #falsealarm on course sanitation. sorry for the mis-information. judge for yourself

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/HELMET-CAM-Claudio-and-Gwin-Chain…
Doesn't look all that different from last year, which was a decent course. I wonder if the deforestation was for expanded skiing areas, and they just made a show of it for the race and will finish the job next week.

Looks sloppy!
6/10/2016 6:40am
kev.1n wrote:
Once again, shaking my head at UCI. Less rounds means every round is more important and makes the pressure for points that much higher. If a...
Once again, shaking my head at UCI.

Less rounds means every round is more important and makes the pressure for points that much higher. If a top guy misses out on one race for whatever reason, or crashes, their whole season is pretty much ruined, and that sucks.

It's also the same venues just being recycled with the same tracks, and in my opinion (and probably the pro riders too) that makes for some boring racing. Don't get me wrong, val di sol and Mont-Sainte-Anne are amazing venues, but ft. william and leogang are pretty burnt out tracks. (once again, my opinion.) I really want to see new and exciting tracks being put in place that get both riders and viewers stoked. There are amazing tracks and amazing bike parks all over the world (looking at you north america), why is the world cup still confined to these venues?

Crankworx would never be allowed because racers would be having too much fun, and you know UCI doesn't like that...

Is there any way we can get racers to collectively petition against UCI and insist some kind of radical change? The guys riding rampage managed to create change within their event, why can't everyone in the world cup stand behind a shift in how and where UCI organizes races. I know it's all politics and UCI would love to keep on doing what they do, but something needs to change. We need better/newer tracks, more rounds, and more relaxed rules and regulations. I also want Rob Warner swearing and saying wild shit again, he sounds like a news anchor these days. Viva la world cup Revolution

Can we force the riders to petition against the UCI based on what we as spectators want, not necessarily what they want? I don't think many riders are comfortable shit talking the UCI (eg. Minnaar and the "not a trade team" stuff). You can criticize all you want, but just admit it's for selfish reasons, and may even be contrary to the the interest of the racers.

The riders pushed for changes to rampage because of issues that affected them. It may have helped that the viewers got behind that. I would do the same for a similar situation with downhill.

I'm pretty sure Rob is employed by Red Bull, so wrong tree there.

Post a reply to: UCI 2017 Event Schedule - Only 6 DH Races?

The Latest