The Best Component Upgrade for a Mountain Bike?

Related:
ZAKBROWN!
4/10/2020 12:31pm
skypig wrote:
[i]I've been lucky enough to get some fast-engaging rear hubs [/i] My new Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 0, came with some nice components. The ratchet...
I've been lucky enough to get some fast-engaging rear hubs

My new Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 0, came with some nice components.
The ratchet seems ”course” (“Slow engaging”?)

Excuse my ignorance - what would I need to replace to improve the situation? “Free hub body”?
Any recommendations?
The hubs on your Reign use DT Swiss star ratchets and come stock with 18t, you can get 36t or 54t ratchets - just pull your cassette straight outward, the freehub body will detach from the hub shell and you can swap them in easily.
skypig
4/10/2020 5:49pm
ZAKBROWN! wrote:
The hubs on your Reign use DT Swiss star ratchets and come stock with 18t, you can get 36t or 54t ratchets - just pull your...
The hubs on your Reign use DT Swiss star ratchets and come stock with 18t, you can get 36t or 54t ratchets - just pull your cassette straight outward, the freehub body will detach from the hub shell and you can swap them in easily.
Thanks for the info - makes sense.

I’ll upgrade for sure.
Only Q is 36t or 54t

My other bike is a 2017 Trance Advanced 1, an “XT” bike.
It’s on the other side of the country, at work, I might not be back for a while...

It has a really loud ratchet, and has a faster engagement.

Is it likely to be DT Swiss star ratchet system as well do you know?
I’m guessing it might be 36t?
brash
4/11/2020 4:30pm
ZAKBROWN! wrote:
The hubs on your Reign use DT Swiss star ratchets and come stock with 18t, you can get 36t or 54t ratchets - just pull your...
skypig wrote:
Thanks for the info - makes sense. I’ll upgrade for sure. Only Q is 36t or 54t My other bike is a 2017 Trance Advanced 1...
Thanks for the info - makes sense.

I’ll upgrade for sure.
Only Q is 36t or 54t

My other bike is a 2017 Trance Advanced 1, an “XT” bike.
It’s on the other side of the country, at work, I might not be back for a while...

It has a really loud ratchet, and has a faster engagement.

Is it likely to be DT Swiss star ratchet system as well do you know?
I’m guessing it might be 36t?
it will be written on the hub if it's ratchet type.

The 54T is worth doing, it's crazy expensive for a small machined gear and some grease/spring but once you ride it you will never go back to a sloppy engaging hub.

Plus it sounds epic if you use a very light amount of grease, like a poor mans Chris King Buzz.

skypig
4/11/2020 5:18pm
Always learning.
The 54T it will be.

Thanks again.
4/13/2020 8:34am
Listing from cheapest to most expensive:
1)Losing weight/training. It's free and the most useful thing.
2) Pressure gauge.
3) close to second: the right brake pads.
These are all cheap upgrades.
yzedf
5/12/2020 9:49am
Grips and tires.
Jon_Angieri
5/13/2020 8:17am
My GX Eagle cassette is getting close to the end of its life. Was thinking about going with XO1 cassette for the weight savings. What are your opinions on this? Is it worth the extra money? Is it really that noticeable?
Masjo
5/13/2020 8:41am
My GX Eagle cassette is getting close to the end of its life. Was thinking about going with XO1 cassette for the weight savings. What are...
My GX Eagle cassette is getting close to the end of its life. Was thinking about going with XO1 cassette for the weight savings. What are your opinions on this? Is it worth the extra money? Is it really that noticeable?
Yes, I did find it noticeable in terms of weight. I upgraded from a GX to X01 groupset and did not change wheels, tires, or frame. I did not notice a difference in shifting performance, but it felt like I cut an anchor off of the rear wheel. It was easier to lift and place the rear wheel with the lighter cassette and unfortunately worth the extra cost.
MTBeerz
5/13/2020 8:55am
My GX Eagle cassette is getting close to the end of its life. Was thinking about going with XO1 cassette for the weight savings. What are...
I ran a full GX drivetrain on my last bike and decided to splurge a lil on my latest build and went with X01. I don't know if the weight savings are that noticeable but the shifting is soo much more crisp, you will for sure notice. The best part is how much longer the X01 setup seems to stay aligned without having to tinker with it or take it to get tuned up. Plus the components are showing less wear in the same amount of time/miles. 100% worth it, I'll never go back to anything less than X01.

Post a reply to: The Best Component Upgrade for a Mountain Bike?

The Latest