Sram Guide RSC lever upgrade?

astrizzle
So when I bought my new Spesh enduro I thought I could manage with the Code R brakes that are stock on there. But after a month or so of riding and a couple bleeds on the code R's, I have realized that I can't deal with their inconsistency anymore, its getting dangerous out there with these brakes.

A friend of mine just purchased some Code RSC brakes and they feel amazing compared to mine. I noticed that the caliper of both brakes looks really similar if not identical. Which makes me wonder if I could just upgrade to RSC levers and basically have a complete RSC brake system. Is this true? Has anyone done this before? Would this work well? Or do I need to just get new brakes all together? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts!
|
Big Bird
11/14/2020 7:40am
I'm pretty sure that would work just fine. Hopefully an actual professional will chime in.

Are you sure that your levers are not affected by the recall/warranty situation. If they're pumping up when they get hot, you should be eligible for a free set of new levers.
meow
11/14/2020 9:32am
Pretty sure you can, I replaced the shit guide levers that came on my bike with slightly less shit versions and it was easy. The caliper is the same for all levels of the Guide and pretty sure its similar with the Code but not 100% on that.

astrizzle
11/14/2020 10:17am
Big Bird wrote:
I'm pretty sure that would work just fine. Hopefully an actual professional will chime in. Are you sure that your levers are not affected by the...
I'm pretty sure that would work just fine. Hopefully an actual professional will chime in.

Are you sure that your levers are not affected by the recall/warranty situation. If they're pumping up when they get hot, you should be eligible for a free set of new levers.
Good call, I'll check, because they are for sure pumping up when things get hot and initially when I start riding they just aren't there until I pump them 4-5 times.
11/14/2020 10:49am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2020 10:51am
You can definitely upgrade to the RSC levers with no issues and the pad contact adjustment will help keep the lever feel consistent as the pads wear.

Although there is an unorthodox trick you can try on any brakes that use the edge bleed port to help shorten the throw. Just be really careful not to get fluid on the pads.

-Remove your wheel, you can remove the pads or leave them in
-Push fluid from the caliper up until bubbles stop like a normal bleed, then down to the caliper, and back up to the lever.
-Close the caliper edge bleed port and leave the syringe snapped in place.
-Remove the lever syringe and cap the bleed port.
-Re open the caliper edge bleed port and gently press the plunger, then close the port while keeping pressure on the syringe plunger.
-Gently pull back on the plunger when removing it from the edge bleed port to prevent any fluid from spewing out as t will still be under pressure.
-Check lever feel by reinserting the wheel and rotor or with a pad spacer snapped into place and you can adjust the feel by adding or removing pressure from the line.

This is definitely not the procedure sram recommends but I have had good luck with it helping my codes and guides bite quicker with much shorter lever throw. Worth a shot before buying any additional parts.

If you are doing it on RSC levers just be sure the lever throw is at its longest setting for the best results

Scrub
11/14/2020 11:10am
I've done a few ever swaps, upgraded to RSC lever from RS with no issues on current model Guides and I've even swapped RSC levers to older '11 Guide calipers.
11/14/2020 12:12pm
Hey there, you’ll be totally fine with swapping the RSC levers onto the R calipers. They both use the same caliper. Make sure to do a full bleed and make sure the pads aren’t super worn. Like someone mentioned above, pressurize the caliper after completing the lever bleed and they will stay more consistent throughout. You might need to do a re pressurize every few days at the bike park but that’s normal. The brakes themselves get so hot that the oil starts to degrade.
metadave
11/14/2020 9:32pm
Just a chime in, SRAM actually sells the Guide RE, which has a code caliper. They are by far one of the best brakes SRAM has ever made, the RSC lever would have made them far better. The RE is designed for ebikes and have a ton of stopping power for non-ebikes. They're almost more Shimano like than SRAM.
astrizzle
11/15/2020 9:54am
Thanks for the tips but I think I'm just gonna buy all new brakes and try to sell the code R's, new levers are about $140 each with tax anyways, might as well just get some new brakes and guarantee that they are the good ones.
11/15/2020 4:43pm
astrizzle wrote:
Thanks for the tips but I think I'm just gonna buy all new brakes and try to sell the code R's, new levers are about $140...
Thanks for the tips but I think I'm just gonna buy all new brakes and try to sell the code R's, new levers are about $140 each with tax anyways, might as well just get some new brakes and guarantee that they are the good ones.
Get some TRP DHR evos and don’t look back
TEAMROBOT
11/15/2020 6:31pm
I've always thought one of the best tips for bleeding SRAM brakes was throwing them in the garbage and buying Zee's.
BL69
11/15/2020 8:46pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
I've always thought one of the best tips for bleeding SRAM brakes was throwing them in the garbage and buying Zee's.
I remember 2015 too.
Skerby
11/16/2020 8:11am
I had guide REs and I thought upgrading to rsc lever was a good idea. I broke one of the new levers on the first ride. Now i have an R lever on one side and RSC on the other, cannot tell the difference when Im riding.

Post a reply to: Sram Guide RSC lever upgrade?

The Latest