Santa Cruz vs Specialized

Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 8:35am
Hey,
Im looking for a new bike and I am looking at the Demo 8 or the V10.
Which is better? What are some compliments/complaints on the two brands?
I would also like to know some information on the brands concerning quality and stuff like that.
Thanks.
|
Big Bird
9/30/2013 5:54pm
I haven't personally ridden either frame as they don't make them big enough (Or cheap enough.) to fit me. I do have a friend who has had both and didn't so much rave about any improvements when he switched from SC to Spec. They're both good bikes. My only advice is that if you go Specialized, make sure that you get a straight frame. I've seen some really crooked frames from them. The same friend got an SX trail which turned out to be way off. We were measuring it at our other friends shop and he was saying that theres no way it came from Spec. crooked. We showed him the numbers showing it was true, then measured the shop owners bike (A high end inner.) and it was crooked too.
10/1/2013 11:49am
So Big Bird, what you are saying is that SC has better quiality control than Spec.? What bike do you ride?
I am also wondering about their customer satisfaction and like their reputation.
And thanks for that assurance Danrack.
10/1/2013 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2013 2:22pm
I've ridden both, and I'd choose the V-10 over the Demo. No question about it. yes, it is personal preference, but my experience has been that the V-10 is a far more enjoyable bike. The Demo's front end feels super nice going through steep rock gardens, but in the corners (where a lot of DH speed is gained or lost), the rear end feels really sluggish. To me, the V-10 is just about as adept in the front end, with a much lighter feeling rear end. It feels like when I push into the V-10 needing some rebound/pick-up, I get something back. In contrast, the Demo seems to soak up the push, robbing me of the push and giving nothing back. The final deciding factor was when I happened to run into a few reps for Santa Cruz at a trailhead, having a dealer-only ride event. I'm not a dealer, I'm just a nobody. But they offered to set up a V-10 carbon for me and let me take it out for a ride. Fantastic bike. It sprinted better than any other DH rig I've ridden, and it was liveable pedaling up milder climbs. Note, I said liveable, not enjoyable. It was still rather sucky. But the bike ate everything in its path, yet felt light and nimble.

If you're worried about durability, check out the video of the Santa Cruz test lab. Their bikes are strong. Very strong.
10/1/2013 2:50pm
Thanks.
The only problem for me is that the V10 is alot more expensive than the Demo. But from what ive heard, the Demo 8 is a great bike as well as the v10. I guess youre right though, its all up to personal preference.
Big Bird
10/1/2013 5:49pm
Yo D. I actually worked at Santa Cruz for a brief period as a frame assembler, until I quit in disgust when the then new Nomad came out. If you'd believe it, the whole rear end was held centered with green locktite. I knew that they were gonna be coming back with creeks and sloppy rear ends, and they did. They've since remedied the problem and now have the sweet and creek free collet axle system that comes on the V-10. Anyway, all those frames got a good looking over when they were assembled right here in the USA. It seems obvious to me from the number of crooked Specs. I'v'e seen that they have much looser guidelines as to what gets to leave the factory. As to your other question, at 6'7", I pretty much need a custom frame (An XL V-10 could be made to fit with those special head set cups, but I'll never be able to afford one.) so I make my own. My downhill bike right now, and probably forever, is a chromoly steel front end with a later model Bullit swing arm. It's got "World Cup" geometry with a 62.5 deg. HA and a 13.5" BB. I moved the main pivot up the down tube a bit and run a steep seat angle and 3.5" stroke shock to get 9.5" of travel. It's got what some would say is a ridiculously short chain stays and a ridiculously long front end, so it fits me, but still has a reasonably short wheel base.
10/1/2013 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2013 8:05pm
Wow. Thats Quite the set up on your bike! Locktite, I mean really, come on. So what do you know about spec.? How is their quality? A personal question, (if you dont mind). Which bike would you prefer? If they made sizes that fit you. Do you really think its necessary to spend $4,000 more on the V-10?
Thanks.
Big Bird
10/2/2013 8:47am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2013 8:49am
I think I've been pretty clear about what I think of the two companies quality control. There's not much more to say on that. Just make sure that you get a straight one if you go Spec. and feels confident that the Santa Cruz would be good. It does occur to me now that I have ridden earlier, (Read the first.) versions of both bikes, though both were too small for me. Keep in mind that there have been signifigant changes since to both bikes since then. On the original V-10, and I'm talking way back, I found it impossible to bunny hop even up a small curb, but strangely, it flowed well through small jumps. They have made changes to the VPP design since then to make it more progressive. I also rode an original Demo 9 and actually found it to be a pretty good climber and nice and supple on the downs. I've also heard that they run short in the top tube, so think about a larger size than you would normally ride. Whether the V-10 is worth the $4000, that's for you and your accountant to decide.

Post a reply to: Santa Cruz vs Specialized

The Latest