Rocky Mountain Altitude C50

Just ordered this online. Inventory is so low, I just went with it. It has 160 up front and 150 out back. I’m new to a fs rig, so curious if all mountain type bikes can be great on high speed, hardpack trails. Do those suspension numbers mean you always give up some speed on XC type trails, or can modern bikes like this still roll fast with quick pedal to the ground efficiency?
|
easton
9/16/2020 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 5:38pm
I assume you got the 2020 or earlier, not the new 2021? In my judgement that bike can be pretty versatile and fun on XC stuff too if you set it up in a smart way.

With rear sag, you might want to run it a bit firm, more like 25-28% rather than the usual 30- 33%. Also use some compression damping on your rear suspension. If you have a fox float this just means putting it in trail mode instead of open or locked out. It makes the bike bob less under pedaling, pump more responsively, and also makes the bike easier to pop off small trail features, all at the expense of some small bump sensitivity.

Also tire choice and tire pressure makes a huge difference to the bikes character. It probably comes with EXO casing Maxxis tires with 3C Maxx Terra rubber compound. If the bike feels sluggish, try a harder compound fast rolling tire in the back, for instance the Maxxis Aggressor or High Roller Semi-slick. If it's still sluggish you could switch the front to something harder and faster rolling, but at that point you are going to be kind of riding a heavy bike with only XC capabilities, because a grippy front tire really gives the bike more capability for enduro type trails.

Post a reply to: Rocky Mountain Altitude C50

The Latest