Prototype Polygon DH Bike at Whistler?

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 11:16am
Polygon's new design in DH bike mode? Mick's Worlds bike? Discuss. Not too subtle, eh?

the production enduro bike version

|
8/10/2017 12:13pm
not sure why you think it is garbage?
have you ridden one?
bike looks insane
good luck mik!!!!!

TEAMROBOT
8/10/2017 2:28pm
Sometimes I feel so bad for Mick Hannah and the shit he has to ride on. The guy won a World Cup on a Cannondale Judge. "This is the most public yet of my many humiliations."
bismojo
8/10/2017 3:11pm
Wow, kudos for on-going research and development!

Haven't ridden one but the bike looks interestingly strange (subjective of course)
- Downtube too bulky and curvy around BB junction
- Elevated chainstay (rear) proportion too big compared to the front triangle
- Overall the bike looks like always in "bottomed out" position

But still hope it get the job done and podium for Mik at the worlds! Good luck..

hazmanno
8/10/2017 3:14pm
Most likely the bike he is going to ride a champs in carins
8/10/2017 4:17pm
I reckon that frame looks perfect to squeeze an electric motor in for some mechanical doping at Worlds. Free watts, why not!? Thank me later Polygon!
bizutch
8/10/2017 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 8:14pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Sometimes I feel so bad for Mick Hannah and the shit he has to ride on. The guy won a World Cup on a Cannondale Judge...
Sometimes I feel so bad for Mick Hannah and the shit he has to ride on. The guy won a World Cup on a Cannondale Judge. "This is the most public yet of my many humiliations."
I said that and no one has any historical context. Most of his career has been on turds. Kids don't know how bad ass he is to have ridden all those wagons
Remember the Haro?

DhDork
8/10/2017 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 11:07pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Sometimes I feel so bad for Mick Hannah and the shit he has to ride on. The guy won a World Cup on a Cannondale Judge...
bizutch wrote:
I said that and no one has any historical context. Most of his career has been on turds. Kids don't know how bad ass he is...
I said that and no one has any historical context. Most of his career has been on turds. Kids don't know how bad ass he is to have ridden all those wagons
Remember the Haro?

No kidding. He is probably the most underrated rider in World Cup. Seconded by Gutierrez and Payet. Been around a long time, always given the shit end of the stick when it comes to bikes and support, and yet still comes back and puts down lighting fast results. He even took a year off because it was so difficult to keep pushing at that level with the little support he was getting.

I remember watching an old Aussie flick (or Earthed?) where he was riding his Haro up and down these massive rock features, with 10' drops into steep hairpin turns. Bike was rediculously tall and looked awkward as hell to push that thing around, yet he somehow managed to make it work for him.

And to add it it, he's got mad respect from me for throwing a No-Hander at every race in honor of Stevie.

kev.1n
8/10/2017 11:10pm
Regardless of what bike he's riding, I just want the man to win world champs this year, definitely deserves it.
8/10/2017 11:58pm
Interestingly, the shock appears to be the same size on the enduro brah bike as the DH version... Or is that fancy proto-camo playing with my eye ballz?
trexyz
8/11/2017 12:07am
kev.1n wrote:
Regardless of what bike he's riding, I just want the man to win world champs this year, definitely deserves it.
I'm totally with you. He is damn fast. The speed is there I hope to see him world champion.
embino
8/11/2017 1:57am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 1:58am
Lots of keyboard warriors here... Have you ridden a bike with the REACT suspension? I did and IMHO this bike has to potential to be the fastest thing on the DH circuit.
Bigburd
8/11/2017 2:35am
Looks like a fucking E bike, poor Mic...
Kusa
8/11/2017 2:41am
embino wrote:
Lots of keyboard warriors here... Have you ridden a bike with the REACT suspension? I did and IMHO this bike has to potential to be the...
Lots of keyboard warriors here... Have you ridden a bike with the REACT suspension? I did and IMHO this bike has to potential to be the fastest thing on the DH circuit.
Most of the people complain about the visual design, not suspension. So calm down Wink
slimshady
8/11/2017 4:34am
Interestingly, the shock appears to be the same size on the enduro brah bike as the DH version... Or is that fancy proto-camo playing with my...
Interestingly, the shock appears to be the same size on the enduro brah bike as the DH version... Or is that fancy proto-camo playing with my eye ballz?
Yup, you are right. Cairns asks for a pedal friendly bike, as the South Africa track. This might be just the Enduro LT model with a dual crown fork.
unskilled
8/11/2017 5:52am
Yea, Mic has spent his life riding bikes as a job. Who are the real losers here.
8/11/2017 10:14am
unskilled wrote:
Yea, Mic has spent his life riding bikes as a job. Who are the real losers here.
It's not that Mic is a loser, no one is saying that. What people are commenting about is that Mic never really had or a team that had a bike with a killer design. The bikes he has been successful on were typically the B-team of the mountain bike world. And this doesn't match up with his talent or ability or awesomeness. I think we'd all like to wonder what he could have accomplished had he been part of a Specialized/Trek/Santa Cruz/Giant sponsored team.
8/11/2017 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 12:54pm
say what?

The makulu he re-emerged on with Unitedride was certainly not crap and got better reviews than many of the aforementioned bikes from SC, Trek, Spesh and Giant, even the team was smaller.

As for his current bike, the guys at Unitedride have basically had the opportunity to develop the bike they wanted with Polygon, and have ended up with a bike with good angles and pretty good kinematics after a ton of race driven r&d. I have yet to hear that it is "crap", even if there are bikes out there with more prestige. Even the Judge had relatively good kinematics, even if the geo was a bit on the short side reach wise and the bb high pre-sag - but then again, so were nearly all the other bikes of that era (go back and check the geo of the V-10 of that era...).

Admittedly though, the fury he rode for a bit was a bit of a wonky design, where both the geo and kinematics were simply sub par. Then again Marc Beaumont made it work for him though and won Val di Sole on it, so i guess if the rider is riding at the limit and with a high confidence, a lot of design shortcomings can be overcome.

as for this prototype, based on the reviews of the current crop of bikes with this rear suspension system, it might actually make for quite the grippy, if not terribly poppy yet pedal-friendly dh bike. It might not win any awards for being the prettiest, but if it works... Function over form right? It will be interesting to see where it goes, but with it seemingly being made from carbon, indications are that they are pretty close to production

Verbl Kint
8/11/2017 11:17pm
For a prototype, they certainly spared no expense and went straight to carbon.
Faction
8/12/2017 8:47am
I had the chance to ride Marin's version (in the parking lot) and really take a close look at that bike. It could be an interesting ride, but a few things I noticed:

- The rear end is VERY flexy. Like, not even remotely close to the most flexy rear ends, way beyond that. You can move the rear end so much by hand that the linkage plates can hit the seat mast. Those tiny little plates are so thin that I thought they were plate steel. The swingarm is so long that those little plates are not up to handling those side loading forces. I could feel it in the parking lot, which says a lot.

- The bike needs a longer travel fork. It feels unbalanced. I think if it were designed around a 170mm fork it would retain the good pedaling aspects of the design but possibly not look like a grasshopper.

qldmtb1
8/15/2017 2:50am

Someone claims to have seen people testing a DH bike like this in Smithfield (Cairns)...
sspomer
8/16/2017 11:16am
another shot of linkage on tracey's garbanzo-winning bike

Post a reply to: Prototype Polygon DH Bike at Whistler?

The Latest