Opinion on fixies?

Ladavis83
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2014 2:04pm
Hey! I am looking to get a fixed gear bike, and I know this is a MTB oriented website/forum, but does anyone have any opinion or suggestions about fixies?
|
Big Bird
5/17/2014 2:42pm
I'm not a fan. Why limit yourself and make your bike more dangerous to others at the same time?
Big Bird
5/17/2014 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2014 12:27pm
Once a pretty girl stepped out in the street in front of me while was riding very fast. I did a twenty to thirty foot nose wheelie and stopped just in time to kiss her on the cheek. On a fixie I'd have creamed her. Same thing with brakeless freewheel bikes. It seems all of a sudden that it's just not cool to have a brake on a BMX bike. That's just stupid and irresponsible.
ezduzit
5/18/2014 5:45pm
Why not get a road bike? Fixies are trendy but really only a practical tool for commuters who travel short distances on flat pavement who want a low-maintenance bike.

They are bad for climbing (no gears), bad for descending (limited by crank rpm), bad for stopping fast (no hand brakes), etc...

Side note: if you are trying to join a fixie crew then disregard my comments, you will need a fixie.
toddtoth
5/19/2014 9:18am
My favorite kind of fixie is the kind with a freewheel, knobby tires, lots of gears, and front and rear suspension.
Danimal5-0
5/20/2014 8:17am
F the fixie, get a kickback 2speed! They are super fun and very functional. Plus, do you really want to be tightening your cog and lock ring every four days? Fixes are for oval tracks.....'nuff said.
Ladavis83
5/28/2014 7:24am
Big Bird wrote:
Once a pretty girl stepped out in the street in front of me while was riding very fast. I did a twenty to thirty foot nose...
Once a pretty girl stepped out in the street in front of me while was riding very fast. I did a twenty to thirty foot nose wheelie and stopped just in time to kiss her on the cheek. On a fixie I'd have creamed her. Same thing with brakeless freewheel bikes. It seems all of a sudden that it's just not cool to have a brake on a BMX bike. That's just stupid and irresponsible.
Oh I will most definitely be running brakes. That is irresponsible I agree. I will mainly be using it for fitness anyways.
Rnauth1418
5/28/2014 8:23am
A budy of mine rides a single speed 26 fully rigid mtb. He used to race track bikes so he's got tree trunk legs and can just barely keep up with me on the trails (I'm riding a geared hardtail). It's super impressive that he can keep up with me as much as he does though.

I have riden some of his fixes and you really have to get your gearing dialed. Luckily he had a ton of gear combos to choose from so I was able to set it up for the road I would be riding. But if you're off by even a few teeth it can mean you're pushing instead of riding up hills.

I don't recommend it at all.

Post a reply to: Opinion on fixies?

The Latest