New high-end MTB brand: Instinctiv

Related:
undomestic
Edited Date/Time 12/19/2020 1:27am
Hi all, maybe nice to share with you the coming of a new high-end mountain bike brand: Undomestic.

With my team of riders (who are also engineers and designers) we have been working for the past two years to develop a line of enduro / all-mountain machines. Innovation takes place in our HQ in the Netherlands, testing is done at our test center in Croatia and in the mountains of Slovenia.

So what is the new M like? We can share that the bikes will obviously have great refined design, modern geometry and a patented suspension platform. The platform is based on Horst, with improved kinematics for a gearbox. The machines will come with a Pinion C-line drive train, combined with grip-shifting, trigger shifting and later with our patented electronic shifting. This offers great traction at all times, fast shifting, 115% anti squat in all gears at sag and centered weight distribution.

The bikes are made with 8% recycled automotive carbon. And equipped with the best suspension components from Fox, hubs and wheels from Industry Nine,

The machine will come as M7 with 150mm rear suspension and 27.5″ wheels, as M9 with 140mm rear suspension and 29″ wheels and finally as the M97 with 150mm rear suspension in a mixed wheel setup. We expect to launch in spring 2020.

stay tuned about our launch
|
bturman
12/28/2019 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2019 2:48pm
Very interesting! Intrigued to see that suspension system cycle through the travel.

Sesame Seed
12/28/2019 3:07pm
649gr less weight than...? Another Internet Forum distraction, sure to come.
12/28/2019 5:01pm
bturman wrote:
Very interesting! Intrigued to see that suspension system cycle through the travel. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/12/28/8761/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_12_28_at_3.33.11_PM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/12/28/8762/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_12_28_at_3.33.44_PM.jpg[/img]
Very interesting! Intrigued to see that suspension system cycle through the travel.

Yeah... some really tiny links in there moving in tiny little arcs. Interesting...
Jakers
12/28/2019 6:55pm
bturman wrote:
Very interesting! Intrigued to see that suspension system cycle through the travel. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/12/28/8761/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_12_28_at_3.33.11_PM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/12/28/8762/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_12_28_at_3.33.44_PM.jpg[/img]

Samsquatch wrote:
Yeah... some really tiny links in there moving in tiny little arcs. Interesting...
You shouldn’t stare at another man’s tiny links
undomestic
12/29/2019 12:33am
649gr less weight than...? Another Internet Forum distraction, sure to come.
This is about unsprung weight, because there is no cassette in the rear wheel. Reduction is 766 grams compared to a SRAM GX or 649 grams compared to a SRAM XX1 drivetrain.
undomestic
12/29/2019 1:03am
What is your plan for the US market?
Not sure yet. In Europe we will work with a B2C model, where the bikes will be build on order, as we will offer 6 different color scheme's. Coating, decals and final assembly will be done in the Netherlands.
Capricorn
12/29/2019 1:34am
What was Undomestic's design objective(s), and what's the company's raison d'etre?
Malaya
12/29/2019 1:54am
Any plans for test rides in the Netherlands? I'm very curious to ride one!
undomestic
12/29/2019 2:20am
Capricorn wrote:
What was Undomestic's design objective(s), and what's the company's raison d'etre?
Maybe first of all to inspire people to ride. Ride better, ride faster, with more confidence. To help people want to go out of the cities, explore the undomestic nature, also those that have never ridden before.

With my team we have been for over a dozen of years in advanced design and development of sport products. Now we combined all our experience with our passion for riding. I have been riding since 1992, mostly in Germany, Luxembourg, Slovenia and Croatia. So, it kind of was time to create products of our own.

Apart from our passion for riding and innovation, we also had for a long time the feeling we wanted to do some experiments about how to make sports products a bit more sustainable. Therefore we apply now about 8% recycled carbon fibre that we get from an automotive carbon manufacturer. There are also plans for reuse of the frames after crashes and when you send your frame back to us at the end of life, we will recycle it for you. I know, it does not really make a large impact yet, it is more an experiment and an honest try to improve the cycle without greenwashing. And yes, we thought also about aluminium, titanium, additive manufacturing, but we came to the conclusion that carbon has a lot of potential, it is still early in its development.

In the field of innovation we do small improvements, like our patented linkage driven Horst suspension, electronic shifting, our own chain tensioner and we have more idea's for new bikes that are coming up. By making small innovative steps we hope to contribute to the sport and to confident riding.
undomestic
12/29/2019 2:22am
Malaya wrote:
Any plans for test rides in the Netherlands? I'm very curious to ride one!
Sure, that will happen. And we plan to be present on festivals in Germany and Austria this summer.
Sesame Seed
12/29/2019 6:25am
undomestic wrote:
This is about unsprung weight, because there is no cassette in the rear wheel. Reduction is 766 grams compared to a SRAM GX or 649 grams...
This is about unsprung weight, because there is no cassette in the rear wheel. Reduction is 766 grams compared to a SRAM GX or 649 grams compared to a SRAM XX1 drivetrain.
Incredibly delicate way to justify that exact loss of weight at the rear wheel. Majority of experienced riders understand the general 'paradigm shift' that a gearbox-design would offer - this as a marketing strategy however is leaving too much 'in the White' Looking to be that new, respected, upstart? Opt into some proper Advertising Space and just don't pander your ideas on the Internet Forums.

Good Luck though - it's an ambitious market right now.
12/29/2019 11:03am
Absolutely love everything about this except your company name "Undomestic".

As someone who rides a Pinion and wants to see gearboxes become the norm within the Industry, I mean this in the most constructive way possible. Undomestic is not a good name for a bike brand.

I think your intention for choosing this name is lost in translation.
Primoz
12/29/2019 11:10am
Do you need any help testing the bikes in Slovenia?
undomestic
12/29/2019 11:51am
Absolutely love everything about this except your company name "Undomestic". As someone who rides a Pinion and wants to see gearboxes become the norm within the...

As someone who rides a Pinion and wants to see gearboxes become the norm within the Industry, I mean this in the most constructive way possible. Undomestic is not a good name for a bike brand.

I'm interested to hear more. We believe that it is all about contrasts. The contrast of advanced technology and riding in nature. The contrast of our design language that is inspired by big cats, and high-tech like carbon or a gearbox. The name fits in this line of contrasts, it hints to wild, to undomestic big cats.
Primoz
12/29/2019 1:08pm
FWIW, undomestic is very searchable on the Internet, there are not many hits for the brand so it's easy to stand out. That also important when creating a brand.
rugbyred
12/29/2019 2:53pm
Will the electronic shifters be available for purchase for people who already have a pinion?
undomestic
12/30/2019 12:30am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2019 12:46am
rugbyred wrote:
Will the electronic shifters be available for purchase for people who already have a pinion?
Unfortunately no, it will be only available on the M-line bikes from Undomestic. That has to do with the integration of parts into the frame, both electronics, battery and servo will be integrated very much into the frame. That is not possible on other Pinion frames.

And electronic shifting will be available later than the mechanical shifting options. We have the system working at the moment, but need more time testing it in extreme situations. We wrote testing software to test the durability of the system and battery life. At the moment, while shifting very intense, a battery will last about 7 - 8 hours before it needs to charge. That should be fine in normal conditions, but if you take the bike on long tours, then there will be a solution to charge the battery from a power pack. But also that needs more testing. So still enough work to do on this system as it is quite crucial for your drivetrain.

Falcon
12/30/2019 8:05pm
Absolutely love everything about this except your company name "Undomestic". As someone who rides a Pinion and wants to see gearboxes become the norm within the...

undomestic wrote:
I'm interested to hear more. We believe that it is all about contrasts. The contrast of advanced technology and riding in nature. The contrast of our...
I'm interested to hear more. We believe that it is all about contrasts. The contrast of advanced technology and riding in nature. The contrast of our design language that is inspired by big cats, and high-tech like carbon or a gearbox. The name fits in this line of contrasts, it hints to wild, to undomestic big cats.
Now it makes a lot more sense. The large cats reference would make more sense with the word, "undomesticated," however. At least in English.
undomestic
12/31/2019 3:10am
Any plans for an XC focused model ?
Next focus will be on a trail bike and a freestyle model. For the trail bike we have some interesting innovations in mind as well. After that a logical step would be to look at a more XC oriented bike.
12/31/2019 4:54am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2019 4:55am

undomestic wrote:
I'm interested to hear more. We believe that it is all about contrasts. The contrast of advanced technology and riding in nature. The contrast of our...
Whereas undomestic is a real word; it is used so infrequently in common English speech that it just sounds weird.

It doesn't dance of the tongue and sounds incongruous, contrived and clunky.

If someone told me "my companies brand name is "Undomestic", what do you think I'm selling?", it certainly wouldn't be mountain bikes that would spring to mind.

Just my two cents about the brand name.

The bike looks and sounds amazing!
Big Bird
12/31/2019 8:09am

undomestic wrote:
Whereas undomestic is a real word; it is used so infrequently in common English speech that it just sounds weird. It doesn't dance of the tongue...
Whereas undomestic is a real word; it is used so infrequently in common English speech that it just sounds weird.

It doesn't dance of the tongue and sounds incongruous, contrived and clunky.

If someone told me "my companies brand name is "Undomestic", what do you think I'm selling?", it certainly wouldn't be mountain bikes that would spring to mind.

Just my two cents about the brand name.

The bike looks and sounds amazing!
How about "Feral Bikes."? Similar meaning, but a bit more edgy and Wild.
12/31/2019 9:02am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2019 9:05am

Even Google agrees lol.

Undomestic just isn't a term that is commonly used especially compared to to the much more common alternatives like wild, ferral etc.

Instead of sounding wild and aggressive, Undomestic sounds sedate, inert and innocuous.

Anyway that's my last 2 cents. Sick bike, shit brand name.
Primoz
12/31/2019 10:36am
That just means people searching for the brand will find it on Google with no problems. Which is a very good thing.
12/31/2019 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2019 2:19pm
Primoz wrote:
That just means people searching for the brand will find it on Google with no problems. Which is a very good thing.
No it doesn't mean just that. It means a whole lot of other things as well.

Sincerely

Someone who actually knows about SEO.

Post a reply to: New high-end MTB brand: Instinctiv

The Latest