MTB Ban Implemented Based on Strava Speeds

Related:
Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 10:33am
The city of Los Altos, CA has implemented a ban on mountain bikes in the Byrne Reserve following complaints by other user groups. It seems that speeds recorded on Strava helped the council reach its decision:

“I’m done with this as far as I’m concerned,” Councilman John Radford said. “The speed numbers that were talked about tonight are just incredibly unacceptable. I can’t even believe. Sorry, whoever’s done those apps and whoever puts that together – that just put a hole in the whole argument.”

Perhaps it's time to reconsider how we mountain bikers use the app, before we collectively shoot ourselves in the foot?
|
frankie
5/5/2016 3:24am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 3:40am
Cheers for the note. I have been afraid this is going to happen one day. This is the point one shall consider to say good bye to Strava to avoid more bans around the globe
tullie
5/5/2016 6:39am
Nothing new in commifornia, the only place I know where trail users pay to get your trails shut down. This is just more ammo for them but speed shouldn't matter, designate more mtb specific trails instead of shutting them down.
Mr. P
5/5/2016 7:49am
Make your rides "Private" when you upload them. AND opt out of adding your data to the Strava Heat Map - if you do not uncheck this box, private rides will be added to the Heat Map, which is one of the tools land managers use to track us. See screen grabs attached to turn off your connection to the Heat Map.

On the other side of the issue, land managers should be able to clearly see huge number of the MTB users on the land (2nd largest user in our area) and the trail over-use due to limited riding areas. Banning won't solve the issues, MTB is growing, and now CX, and gravel, and bike packing... more trails and more access will solve their issues.

Strava turn off Heat Map upload
(please share this)

Settings --> Privacy

--> Strava Metro & Heatmap = uncheck

FreeForAll
5/5/2016 8:29am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 8:29am
Anyone that thinks it's okay to do 30+mph on multi use bike trails and record it for public consumption is a moron and a douche bag. I have tried Strava, found it dumb, and quit using it. It inspires people to be rude and dangerous toward other trail users. 100% of the people that use Strava long term are assholes. You people deserve what you get.
tbarnesarc
5/5/2016 8:42am
Thanks for the info @Mr. P. I was already private but wasn't aware of the heatmap thing. Appreciate it.

frankie
5/5/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 9:28am
I am private however, my results still appear in segment leader boards just as everybody's regardless of the privacy status.

sideshow
5/5/2016 9:54am
Strava is fun, I enjoy it. It is a useful training tool and a fun piece of evidence from the day.

I do no know what the trail(s) in question are like, nor do I intend to travel to the location to find out (AND BECOME THE KOM!!!! MUAAHHAHAHAHAA).

Blaming an app for the loss of trail rights is stupid. Sure, it gives ammo to the "anti cause", but the real problem is the attitude land managers and other trail users have towards the two-wheeled users. I personally hate horses, always have (and I'm from farm country and have worked on multiple farms, so that's saying something), but I do not get all up on my "high horse" and complain about piles of shit everywhere - or dickhead runners with headphones in who run in the middle of every trail/walkway/place of passage ever.

The underlying issue here is not a gps app that people enjoy using to gauge their performance/compete against their friends after work. The issue is that morons in local government in California, a place known for it's idiocy regarding land use rights, are snubbing an excellent form of recreation over "excessive speed". Road riders have not had it any easier, just in case someone wants to start down that road.

This issue echoes skating's growing pains i.e. "Skating is not a crime". Basically, for this MTB issue, it's give us access to the land we want, or deal with the fact that a slow-paced ride is an easy 20mph - a speed achieved by horses and runners alike. Again, blame the system, not the mechanism the system is blaming.
ASchohn
5/5/2016 9:56am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 9:59am
frankie - you need to take the extra step of selecting your individual rides and checking off the box that makes them private. (this is found in the settings/menu for each ride. This removes that ride from the leader boards (so you have no more bragging rights) but you can still see them in your own results.

My buddies and I have all agreed to do this for our group outings. There is no reason to draw heat to the trails you ride or the speeds you carry. We have a look and compare our times over a post ride beer and then go private.

Strava definitely changes the way people ride. I've found it a useful tool in pushing my training. I agree though, its easy for competitiveness to displace some of the fun factor (and bring out the inner asshole) if you are not careful.

frankie
5/5/2016 10:00am
ASchohn wrote:
frankie - you need to take the extra step of selecting your individual rides and checking off the box that makes them private. (this is found...
frankie - you need to take the extra step of selecting your individual rides and checking off the box that makes them private. (this is found in the settings/menu for each ride. This removes that ride from the leader boards (so you have no more bragging rights) but you can still see them in your own results.

My buddies and I have all agreed to do this for our group outings. There is no reason to draw heat to the trails you ride or the speeds you carry. We have a look and compare our times over a post ride beer and then go private.

Strava definitely changes the way people ride. I've found it a useful tool in pushing my training. I agree though, its easy for competitiveness to displace some of the fun factor (and bring out the inner asshole) if you are not careful.

Cheers A Schon
5/5/2016 10:10am
People not respecting other trail users is the main issue. Openly giving municipality's data that backs up grumpy hikers is just stupid.
5/5/2016 10:58am
If there were any question about trail use then you should definitely be keeping your rides PRIVATE.
5/5/2016 11:52am
I was about to delete my account when I read this-but I looked and all my stuff is set to private, but I still see my name on the rankings, can anyone recommend an app that just tracks my riding, I DO like to know how many miles, feet of climbing, etc, but, more and more I don't want my every move being recorded for all to see.
bturman
5/5/2016 11:56am
Here's the button you all should be clicking:

kev.1n
5/5/2016 12:11pm
Strava is the devil.

Blowing up illegal/secret trails since day 1 and making general mountainbiking way too competitive. I'm with stickman on this one.
unskilled
5/5/2016 12:17pm
I want to know when multi-user networks will start addressing horse-riders. Rode through a pile of shit on a plus tire means you got a really good grip on some shit and get to carry it with you for the rest of the ride.
haddad
5/5/2016 12:46pm
Didn't read all the comments but I'll say whether or not stava is out there, I'm gonna go as fast as I can out there on a good trail, don't need some app to tell me that. Before this app there were the same arguements of angry hikers and radical bikers, and trail networks banned to bikes because of it. Let's not throw our hands up at strava for being the root cause of all of this.
Jerome
5/5/2016 1:02pm
Strava business is actually to sell your data to local governments and whatnot. They are not distributing KOM because they like you. The same way Facebook is not here to publish your cat pictures but to sell your profile to advertisers. When you use Strava, you pretty much yell at the Ranger :"LOOK AT ME".
Strava is not responsible for riders being stupid but riders are responsible for sending information to rangers, governments thru Strava. On a side note, these informations are not even reliable ;-(
5/5/2016 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 1:15pm
I was about to delete my account when I read this-but I looked and all my stuff is set to private, but I still see my...
I was about to delete my account when I read this-but I looked and all my stuff is set to private, but I still see my name on the rankings, can anyone recommend an app that just tracks my riding, I DO like to know how many miles, feet of climbing, etc, but, more and more I don't want my every move being recorded for all to see.
This just means your account is private and no one but your friends can view your rides. Your rankings are still recorded and listed on the leaders boards. To prevent that, you have to select the padlock (I think) after you finish every ride. This prevents your results showing up on leader boards, as well as your friends from seeing your activity. Further up the page Mr. P explains how to also opt out of sharing your data with Strava that they use for their "Heat Maps." I was unaware of this feature but will do this in the future, if I even continue to use the app.

I'm more interested in an alternative at this point... to track my own progress. I don't really care about leader boards and where I stack up. If I did, I'd sign up for a race.
jimmypop
5/5/2016 1:13pm
Source for Strava selling data - aggregate or otherwise - to "local governments" or other regulatory or enforcement bodies?
5/5/2016 1:30pm
Only narcissistic riders use Strava, same kooks who post a hundred photos of themselves like little teenage girls. This species of MTB rider needs to be removed, gutted and mounted on the wall. DEATH TO STRAVA!
Mr. P
5/5/2016 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 2:35pm
As noted a few times here, it isn't just Strava that is our issue.

Our behaviour on the trail is a big part of it.

As a group, if all mountain bikers:
Slowed - Yield the trail by stopping or slowing down. Announce your presence if approaching from behind.
Talk - Share a word or two about the beauty of the day! A simple "Howdy" goes a long way too!

We would have no issues and would be banned from no trails.

Most of the problem is that we "scare" other trail users by coming up on them fast (I've done it) and it is the perception of danger, not the reality of danger that is killing us - they think we are out of control and are going to hit them. We know we are not out of control, and are not going to hit them. But stopping early and a quick "Hi" kills any negativity.

Being overly nice is a small price to pay for access.

It only takes a few old complainers who are retired and have lots of time on their hands to squeek the wheel against us in the land manger's ear to make problems for us.

P

5/5/2016 2:42pm
Not a single trail user rose to speak at the meeting. For this to be approved it had to appear on at least one prior council meeting agenda, where public comment is solicited. You do not have to live in the municipality to participate in public comment.

Given that only supporters of the ban spoke up and provided evidence, the council's vote is no surprise. We can all think of several counter-arguments that would have made it much more difficult for the council to steamroll this ban through. Without participation, we have no voice...
ardor
5/5/2016 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 2:57pm
I was about to delete my account when I read this-but I looked and all my stuff is set to private, but I still see my...
This just means your account is private and no one but your friends can view your rides. Your rankings are still recorded and listed on the...
This just means your account is private and no one but your friends can view your rides. Your rankings are still recorded and listed on the leaders boards. To prevent that, you have to select the padlock (I think) after you finish every ride. This prevents your results showing up on leader boards, as well as your friends from seeing your activity. Further up the page Mr. P explains how to also opt out of sharing your data with Strava that they use for their "Heat Maps." I was unaware of this feature but will do this in the future, if I even continue to use the app.

I'm more interested in an alternative at this point... to track my own progress. I don't really care about leader boards and where I stack up. If I did, I'd sign up for a race.
Stick, Fred. Try out Garmin Connect. Not sure if it works without a Garmin, but it's where I log more and more info. The account is set to private and it means it's private, period. Shows you everything the same as Strava and have found it a great way to track rides. There are others that I'm brainfarting on right meow. Training Peaks may allow for it too?

Jerome
5/5/2016 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 3:06pm
jimmypop wrote:
Source for Strava selling data - aggregate or otherwise - to "local governments" or other regulatory or enforcement bodies?
I actually talked with Strava CFO but it's not that secret : metro.strava.com

5/5/2016 3:48pm
Free version of this is rad, much better that Garmin connect.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/

For what it's worth, the "trails" that bikes got banned from in this dispute are not worth mentioning.
All horse stuff, super small area, never even though about going there....
ardor
5/5/2016 4:29pm
Free version of this is rad, much better that Garmin connect. [url=http://home.trainingpeaks.com/]http://home.trainingpeaks.com/[/url] For what it's worth, the "trails" that bikes got banned from in this dispute...
Free version of this is rad, much better that Garmin connect.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/

For what it's worth, the "trails" that bikes got banned from in this dispute are not worth mentioning.
All horse stuff, super small area, never even though about going there....
Sweet as. Wasn't sure if it had a mobile app. May just switch over. Thanks @dirty booger!
enrico650
5/5/2016 5:31pm
iceman2058 wrote:
The city of Los Altos, CA has [url=http://www.losaltosonline.com/news/sections/news/199-city-affairs/52265-]implemented a ban on mountain bikes in the Byrne Reserve[/url] following complaints by other user groups. It seems that...
The city of Los Altos, CA has implemented a ban on mountain bikes in the Byrne Reserve following complaints by other user groups. It seems that speeds recorded on Strava helped the council reach its decision:

“I’m done with this as far as I’m concerned,” Councilman John Radford said. “The speed numbers that were talked about tonight are just incredibly unacceptable. I can’t even believe. Sorry, whoever’s done those apps and whoever puts that together – that just put a hole in the whole argument.”

Perhaps it's time to reconsider how we mountain bikers use the app, before we collectively shoot ourselves in the foot?
This is just going to get worse with the E-bike revolution, pedal assisted or not.
5/5/2016 5:49pm
Not a single trail user rose to speak at the meeting. For this to be approved it had to appear on at least one prior council...
Not a single trail user rose to speak at the meeting. For this to be approved it had to appear on at least one prior council meeting agenda, where public comment is solicited. You do not have to live in the municipality to participate in public comment.

Given that only supporters of the ban spoke up and provided evidence, the council's vote is no surprise. We can all think of several counter-arguments that would have made it much more difficult for the council to steamroll this ban through. Without participation, we have no voice...
Zero participation in the meeting. There is a very good reason for that, NO ONE rides the trails except for the people who Strava'd it and helped to get the rich ass local hikers and equestrians to them shut down. And Dirty Booger is right too, those aren't even mtn bike trails. Los Altos is one of the richest zip codes in CA, and horses rule the roost. Peninsula dwellers have legal options of real mountain biking very close to where this occurred. Skeggs is about 15 minutes from this area, and for beginner riders and 'cross riders, Arastradero is a prime example of successful multi-use, just down the road from these banned "trails". Strava isn't getting Skeggs shut down, but there are rangers with speed guns out on those trails there ticketing people. They've been doing that for way longer than Strava has been popular. People, including mountain bikers, love a scapegoat. I am unaware of other trails in my region being shut down as a result of Strava, (Marin has always had major issues of land access) and there are MANY illegal trails that have a ton of user data on them in regions close to some really cool bike companies. Those trails are even featured in a ton of product launch videos, team videos, and countless edits. Been rolling strong and illegally for decades, even after Strava.

5/5/2016 6:10pm
If I want to track/map/record my speed on rides I use runtastic mountain bike app it records all of these things and doesn't make them public unless you choose to.
Bman
5/5/2016 7:13pm
Trainingpeaks.com is MUCH better than Strava for tracking your rides, speed, and any other data you may want. Strava's only advantage is the competitive nature of it, if you wanna call the an advantage.

Post a reply to: MTB Ban Implemented Based on Strava Speeds

The Latest