MTB Advice I'd Give Myself Five or Ten Years Ago

Related:
2/11/2016 8:47am
Get in to trail-building

Stop resisting the urge to buy a DH bike, you can thank me/yourself? later
2/11/2016 8:51am
TAKE A LESSON, YOU IDIOT.

Sorry for the all-CAPS, I'm shouting at me 10 years ago. I'm still hoping I can hear me. #timetravel
TRex
2/11/2016 8:58am
dad_khakis wrote:
Put more in your 401k.
Great advice. Also, I'd tell myself to feed some starving children, read moar books, and most importantly, only date people of an equal or greater social standing to myself.
Mike Buell
2/11/2016 11:45am
I'll play!

- Never trust anything Kidwoo says on the internet, although you can trust him if he's leading you into a DJ set.
- Not every sponsorship deal is a good deal. Tires, Brakes, Suspension... Ride trusted parts, especially if you're taking big trips to foreign lands with 0 support and expecting to compete on a world stage!
- Always be nice to people, talk to everyone, and don't worry so much about what people think of you. Haters are always gonna hate, but most people are pretty Rad.
- Stay in touch with the cool people you meet along the way. Networking isn't just for business, its for future fun too!
- Friends around the world are a good thing! Don't think your to cool to send friend request on Facebook.
- When taking big rad trips, never over plan! The best experiences are always improvised. On the same note, it's not a bad idea to have a place to go, and no how to get there, on the first day of a trip. Its hard to drive long distances in new countries when your exhausted and suck at the language! Sleeping in Airports and Train Stations will always continue to be a good back up plan.
- Always go above and beyond.
- Always maintain a trail bike. All those XC rides on the 4X and DH bike were great and all, but seriously, always have a trail bike.
- Get a dropper post ASAP. That gravity dropper you make fun of. It's actually pretty F'en cool!
- Learn to dirt jump ASAP! Get a BMX if good dirt jumpers don't exist yet. Also, ride more trials.
- Don't ever be persuaded to race without a chain guide. Clutches are ok, but you NEED a chain guide.
- Tires that are in the trash are probably their for a reason, leave them in the trash, or at most only use them for training.
- Patent the terms Enduro, Endurbro, and Spirit of Enduro.
- Don't pay extra to swap out that Dorado for a Monster T.
- It won't be long before your little brother is faster then you. The quicker you get over that, the better you'll both get!
- If it sounds to good to be true. It's to good to be true. Trust most people most of the time, but don't get taken advantage of... Know your worth.
- 2 weeks might mean 6 months. Don't sell your current bike till the new one is in hand!
- If your lists are to long and you ramble on, no one will read what you write... Damn still haven't learned that Smile
2/11/2016 1:00pm
I'm just here to say... I dig vintage Lake Arbor shots! The ol' Big Hit! How about don't ride 24" wheels as a piece of hindsight advice?
wydopen
2/11/2016 2:36pm
Stop shuttling sooner...although that 2001 stinky with a 24" double wide in the back wasn't very much fun to pedal or ride for that matter compared to the stab primo...
jeff.brines
2/11/2016 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2016 5:23pm
* Shut your yapper. Open your ears. (that includes internet forums and the likes...hence the irony to this post)
* Latest and greatest probably isn't that much better. Spend money accordingly.
* Take care of your noggin. You only get one.
* Be less anxious about the small things (and come to think of it, the big things)
* Take more rest days. Riding 29/30 days every month in the summer takes its toll and prevents any progress from happening and can make you appreciate the sport less than you should.
* Beers are fun. Riding is more fun. Set your priorities accordingly.
* The best people you meet will be on two wheels (or two skis). Treat them as such.
* Invest in better camera gear before you invest in a better [xyz bike part] (that you will break)
* Never leave the camera behind if you can help it.
* Every ride isn't a race
* There will be this thing called "Strava" and it will be the bane of local trails future. Save the racing for the race course.
* Dogs are rad. Get one. Soon. And take care of it.
* Not everyone will want to see as many pictures of said dog as you will. Deal with it.
* Sleep well and sleep lots. You can't do anything well while perpetually tired.
* Don't change your bike too often. Get used to something and know it better than you know anything.
* Don't waste as much time on the internet (sorry Vital).
* Teaching people to ride bikes is almost as fun as riding bikes yourself.
* Never complain about a trail unless you have a shovel in hand.
* Slow everything down in that hyper-energetic noggin to go faster.
* Stop spazing so much
* Find a time everyday to meditate.

2/11/2016 4:45pm
Defiantly good advice, but WD40 actually makes some really rad bike specific lubes now.. check them out!
TommyG77
2/12/2016 8:58am
After getting a good education, get married young and have kids shortly-after. That way you're financially-secure, still fit and can teach them how to kill-it on the trails.
thom9719
2/12/2016 10:35am
Skip Sea Otter.
Skip Interbike.

More road trips.

bturman
2/12/2016 1:44pm
I'm just here to say... I dig vintage Lake Arbor shots! The ol' Big Hit! How about don't ride 24" wheels as a piece of hindsight...
I'm just here to say... I dig vintage Lake Arbor shots! The ol' Big Hit! How about don't ride 24" wheels as a piece of hindsight advice?
That's solid advice as well. Haha!

I miss Arbor. Good times.
Big Bird
2/12/2016 3:52pm
I'm just here to say... I dig vintage Lake Arbor shots! The ol' Big Hit! How about don't ride 24" wheels as a piece of hindsight...
But 24" rears turn so fast! like on a dime fast! like 90 degrees in the parking lot fast!
Zoro
2/23/2016 10:26am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2016 10:30am
* Seems cliché, but the most important thing you should *ucking understand is that the mere fact of getting out there, on your bike, on a trail, is the most important act there is to preserve your own sanity
* Minion DHF is the only tire you should ever buy; don't dick around with Kendas, Continentals, etc...
* Never be caught without a small play bike
* Teaching your kids how to ride is much more rewarding than your 2nd place at the 4x Canadian Nationals (a sport raced by about 25 people countrywide!)
* A DH bike won't be necessary in a couple of years. Your bike will bie 80% dh worthy while still being competent on local XC rides
* ALWAYS keep racing slalom. AKA the best mountain bike discipline ever created.
* Having a good car/truck to roadtrip with the family and friends with proper camping gear and bikes for the whole family will mean more to you than having the usual family home suburb package.
* You will meet new friends through riding; be nice and don't judge their riding style
* You will be working 9 to 5 in an office; make most of your time while your not stuck in that glass prison
* Last but not least: riding mountain bikes will be the single constant thing by which you define yourself to the world and to other people you meet. It's a transcendant passion and one you will never let go, ever.

bstens
2/24/2016 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 2:07pm
1. Get a pick up truck - cause shuttles (I'm still working on this one)
2. Ride with faster people - although they may not verbally teach you anything, playing a game of chase is paramount
3. Stay away from the weed as long as you can
4. Get a trail bike - ride if often and every where. I learned 360s doing skate park flyouts on a 2003 enduro.
5. Take lessons from Simon Lawton - You probably don't have the fundamentals - learning them (or reinforcing them) and practicing them will allow you to ride longer and faster.
6. Do more cutties and wheelies (Watch Nathan Rennie's video about his riding fundamentals)
7. Watch Fundamentals by Alex Rankin (it's on youtube, there are 6 segments)
8. Race against yourself / challenge yourself
9. Find a method to keep yourself out of your head, allowing you to put your brain in your back pocket, and make sure you trust yourself and visualize success.

jhmckean563
2/29/2016 11:43am
Spend more money on good brakes and a decent chainguide...

Post a reply to: MTB Advice I'd Give Myself Five or Ten Years Ago

The Latest