MT BMX Bike

Edited Date/Time 8/13/2014 6:08pm
Hey...I recently traded a friend for a old BMX bike he had laying around and I wanted to convert it to a MTB bike...I want it to feel and look BMX just be a little bit bigger. The bike I got has pretty good parts: profile cassettes,chris king headset,profile cranks, 25-9 gears ratio... It seems to me that all I need is a new frame/fork combo and relace the hubs to some 48spoke 26" rims. I ride brakeless on BMX and wanted to set up my MTB that way, might invest in new hub eventually so that I can go disc but for now brakeless. Anyways,

Do they make MTB frames with 14mm axel slots? American BB? Will a BMX hub fit a MTB?

If anyone has pictures of bikes like this I would be stoked to see them!
|
bturman
11/8/2010 8:57am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:12pm
BMX converts always kill it on MTBs. Sounds like we need to get you up to speed on mtb parts, though.

Here are the parts you'll likely be able to reuse on a mtb (not many parts will cross over):
- Cranks
- Chain ring
- Chain (although it will be too short)
- Grips
- Pedals
- Valve caps Wink
- Headset

I've never heard of a 14mm dropout on an mtb, and american bb's are very rare. Also, shoot for 36 spokes, not 48.

11/8/2010 2:00pm
DMR used to (still might) make a frame with 14mm dropouts, but the spacing on a bmx rear hub is 110mm which is too narrow for a MTB frame anyways (135mm). a new BB for your cranks should only be about $40 at the most, but you may also need a longer spindle.
11/8/2010 3:02pm
Misfit Psycles makes a frame called the Nummers that looks pretty legit to me...what do you guys think about them?

Should I go for solid forks or get front suspension?

I dont care for brakes and I just want to set it up using a 25-9 ratio so its not so awkward transfering from my 20" to my 26" so could I just put some washers on the hub and call it a day?
11/8/2010 5:02pm
suspension/rigid fork preference is up to you.

25-9 ratio will be pretty damn hard to pedal.... totally different than your bmx ratio with the different wheel sizes
11/9/2010 12:52pm
looks like Ive got a lot more to think about...Ill be back with some questions soon..Moving to Austin and im sure ill be able to find tons of locals to help me out.
bturman
11/10/2010 12:27pm
AceHouston wrote:
suspension/rigid fork preference is up to you. 25-9 ratio will be pretty damn hard to pedal.... totally different than your bmx ratio with the different wheel...
suspension/rigid fork preference is up to you.

25-9 ratio will be pretty damn hard to pedal.... totally different than your bmx ratio with the different wheel sizes
Like Ace said, most riders shoot for a 55 gear inch setup. That's your gear ratio multiplied by your wheel diameter.

So, ideally....

(front sprocket / rear sprocket) * wheel diameter = about 55

With a 25/9, that works out to be (25/9)*26 = 72, which will be very hard to pedal.

Post a reply to: MT BMX Bike

The Latest