Lightest Carbon Kid's Full Suspension Bike?

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 1/3/2021 4:03pm
This hit the email inbox this morning and thought it was interesting...
-------------------
We have just released what we believe is the lightest and highest spec 20” kids racing dual suspension mountain bike ever. Built and tuned for kids who want to have an unfair advantage.

I believe your followers may be interested, as I spent many hours looking for just this bike and in the end had to build it and now make it commercially available. The CarbonXS Mad 6 bike.
--------------------

A little digging shows it's an Australian company, the bike gets 50mm rear travel, 65mm front travel and weight is around 15 and a half pounds. It's adjustable for 3 different standover heights and has custom carbon 20" wheels that are 1290g for the set. Bike price is around $2800 for custom, hand-built.
http://www.carbonxscycles.com/bikes.htm
http://www.carbonxscycles.com/technology.htm

|
10/7/2015 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2015 4:35pm
I'm all for innovation but... why?

I just feel like they we're so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

That being said, I will admit that it is kind of cool.
TrailHead
10/7/2015 6:07pm
Why not single crown fork? That would save even more weight!
10/8/2015 3:46am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2015 3:53am
TrailHead wrote:
Probably because a lightweight reliable press-fit single crown fitting is harder to make.

Also, the way the frame is constructed from bolted machined sheets of carbon and the general lack of tubular components would suggest the bike is built from specific/limited tools/materials/know-how.

I´m not saying that is a bad thing though, you use what you have and know best.

Cool bike anyhow!
10/8/2015 12:54pm
A 4 year old would poop their pants if he or she got a bike like that... or even if they didn't.
MrPlow
10/10/2015 10:31pm
TrailHead wrote:
Probably because a lightweight reliable press-fit single crown fitting is harder to make. Also, the way the frame is constructed from bolted machined sheets of carbon...
Probably because a lightweight reliable press-fit single crown fitting is harder to make.

Also, the way the frame is constructed from bolted machined sheets of carbon and the general lack of tubular components would suggest the bike is built from specific/limited tools/materials/know-how.

I´m not saying that is a bad thing though, you use what you have and know best.

Cool bike anyhow!
20" Carbon suspension forks are available from SR suntour and are damn sweet!
10/11/2015 3:20am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 3:26am
CarbonXScycles are all about getting kids out there and it's great to see the interest in suitable bikes. We are very focused on XC bikes and would not recommend it's suitability for downhill disciplines. Our forks are about half the weight of other commercial models and tuned for the MAD6 geometry and rider weight. We looked at single crowns but struggled to get the strength at the crown for the carbon upper tubes. The MAD6 is the product of 3D CAD and Finite Element Analysis (FEA). - The result is high quality Japanese carbon where it is needed and none where it is not.
My 8 year old has a ultra-light dual suspension carbonXS proto-type (24"tubular frame) - beat me up a large climb riding today (time to take that off him and put the development project back 6 months!)

carbonXScycles. Get Riding.

3/21/2018 6:38pm
Updating our work on the most advanced kids bike in the world. We have now launched the Series II with all new carbon frame and rear triangle from one of the best global manufacturers (complete new tooling) Upped the weight limits. New ultra light carbon rims - our own tooling. (990g wheelset). Also a second gear set option available - 10 Speed Shimano ZEE. Forks now a modified version of the Grind Air forks. And a shiny new website. The pricing now includes free delivery to major countries around the world. We love to share the details,

Dave at CarbonXScycles

CarbonXS.com
Carbonxscycles.com

3/21/2018 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 6:57pm
Just a few more details for interested folks on our suspension research. The goal of dual suspension is to keep the wheels on the ground not to help you get off it. Here's a quick video with some of our high speed video of our suspension working in harmony with a reasonably big obstacle for a 20" bike wheel. - Try doing that on a hard tail !

Dave from CarbonXScycles.com

4/16/2018 4:25pm
Dave form CarbonXS here,

As we constantly develop new tech and stay on trend. We have gone all out and made our lightest bike ever - The MAD6 GRAVEL - yes a gravel bike for kids - or maybe just an ultra light street bike for everyday use.

The MAD6 GRAVEL tips the scales at just under 6kg (5.95kg) or 13.1 pounds. with 9 speeds !

Released soon

Dave

1/3/2021 4:00pm
Its been a tough supply year in 2020 with the Covid and demand for bikes. We have been no different and selling bikes as quick as we got frames built. The MAD6 has been updated with new padded all carbon saddle, new Spinner 300 forks, new carbon rims and logo carbon bars. Better faster and lighter .

dave

carbonXScycles
1/3/2021 4:03pm
Oh forgot ! The MAD6 gravel - we have decided after testing further that is is just too fast for a kid - it was an absolute weapon and one luck buyer has the demo. Sometimes you can push the limits a bit too far !

dave

carbonXScycles

Post a reply to: Lightest Carbon Kid's Full Suspension Bike?

The Latest