Let's Nerd out on World Champs History

With Gwin being so dominant during the World Cups over the past several years, but always being slightly off the mark during the World Champs, I was curious to see how many seasons had concluded with a rider claiming both honours: a double World Cup Champion and World Champion.

The answer: Not many and not often (at least for Men's)

Francois Gachet (FRA) in 1994
Nicolas Vouilloz (FRA) in 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999
Sam Hill (AUS) in 2007
(honourable mention for Bryceland, had he not launched into outer space in 2015)

For Women's it again isn't many names, but far more often:

Anne-Caroline Chausson (FRA) in 1998 through 2002 (5x in a row!)
Sabrina Jonnier (FRA) in 2007
Rachel Atherton (GCool in 2008, 2013, 2015, 2016
Manon Carpenter (GCool in 2014

Can Gwin/Nicole add themselves to the shortlist??

What other cool facts can we pop out from the history books?
-People often talk about who has the most wins (Vouilloz, Minnaar, Hill, Chausson, Atherton)
-I love when the medal table by country is pulled up and South Africa is up in the top ranks based on the efforts of a single rider (Minnaar)
-Palmer undoubtedly has the most famous runner up story (although Ratboy's is up there too).
-Other famous runs and commentary from Hart (Champery) and Hill (VDS)
-Steve Peat was famous for how many times he was runner up before finally taking the win in 2009
-John Tomac won silver in the DH in 1991, but also won Gold that same year in XC!
-Not looking up the full stats on this one, so there may be others, but interesting that Bruni and Hart won World Champs before winning an Elite World Cup
-Fresh in memory is the Mondraker 1-2-3 podium of last year, that must be unprecedented.
-I remember some site, maybe this one, doing a look at what are the most successful World Cup DH bikes. What are the most successful Champs bikes?
-What was the first year Champs was won on 27.5? Will this be the first year for a 29er--or will it ever happen?
|
sspomer
9/7/2017 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2017 8:05pm
love this, great discussion topics! i don't have much to offer other than the ratty honorable mention is gold. pretty crazy the pressure and lack of consistency heaped on this race.

Pedal4life
9/7/2017 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 8:45am
How well has Aaron done in the past at Cairns
Verbl Kint
9/7/2017 10:24pm
I'm certainly interested to find out which bike (or manufacturer) has had the most World Championships.
9/8/2017 9:03am
Based on my calculations and Memory since 1990 in Men's Elite, SUNN is up there with 5x I think (Vouilloz & Gachet), Santa-Cruz 3x (Minnaar & Peaty), & VProcess 3x
9/8/2017 11:07am
Love me some nerd facts. I'd just like to point out that the Ratpollo mission was in 2014, not 2015
Kusa
9/8/2017 12:14pm
Why Cairns – if they have bucks to pay for Worlds, I'm curious if there is any bikepark / huge sport community or simply they are burning some sport budget given by government to promote place.
Van Cuz
9/8/2017 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 2:45pm
Kusa wrote:
Why Cairns – if they have bucks to pay for Worlds, I'm curious if there is any bikepark / huge sport community or simply they are...
Why Cairns – if they have bucks to pay for Worlds, I'm curious if there is any bikepark / huge sport community or simply they are burning some sport budget given by government to promote place.
Cairns is a pretty special place as far as MTB goes.

In the early 90's it was home to a very progressive riding culture that became world famous through the MudCows series of Videos.

Also, for such a small city (population now is a bit over 100,000) it has produced more than its far share of good world cup riders like Michael Ronning, Sean McCarrol, Mick Hannah and Tracey Hannah.

It also hosted a world cup in 1994 and a world championship in 1996.

Riders seem to enjoy the DH course, in the dry at least, and the XC course is awesome.
Verbl Kint
9/8/2017 9:53pm
Based on my calculations and Memory since 1990 in Men's Elite, SUNN is up there with 5x I think (Vouilloz & Gachet), Santa-Cruz 3x (Minnaar &...
Based on my calculations and Memory since 1990 in Men's Elite, SUNN is up there with 5x I think (Vouilloz & Gachet), Santa-Cruz 3x (Minnaar & Peaty), & VProcess 3x
Nice. I would've thought Intense would have won a couple considering many of the other manufacturers used their bikes back in the day.
Kusa
9/9/2017 12:07am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2017 12:08am
Verbl Kint wrote:
Nice. I would've thought Intense would have won a couple considering many of the other manufacturers used their bikes back in the day.
Not that much in the Worlds... there is basically one Haro (Intense), one Schwinn (Yeti), couple of Iron Horses...

However if you also count women field, I think we have many times Cannondale here (Chausson) or Trek (Atherton).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Mountain_Bike_%26_Trials_World_Champi…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Mountain_Bike_%26_Trials_World_Champi…

Post a reply to: Let's Nerd out on World Champs History

The Latest