Joe Barnes' DIY Coke Bottle Tubeless Compressor Hack

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 4/1/2015 5:09pm
Sven sent over this video of Joe Barnes' rad Coke bottle compressor hack. He's used it up to 100psi. #watchyoureyes

New pics of the system

|
norbar
3/6/2015 2:27pm
I've seen some people do this before. It's a good idea if you don't want to pump like a madman
Dave_Camp
3/6/2015 2:37pm
He should just put some dry ice and water in that bottle. NO pumping required!
groghunter
3/6/2015 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 2:46pm
huh. Be nice to know what the other fitting (the one that isn't obviously a tubeless presta valve) is. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm not placing it. Safer than a compressor, for those that worry about blowing tires off the rim: high pressure, low volume. So low that I wonder how well it would work for high volume tires like fatties or + size tires(though I guess you could just switch out the bottle for a 2L.)
Dave_Camp
3/6/2015 3:03pm
groghunter wrote:
huh. Be nice to know what the other fitting (the one that isn't obviously a tubeless presta valve) is. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm not placing...
huh. Be nice to know what the other fitting (the one that isn't obviously a tubeless presta valve) is. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm not placing it. Safer than a compressor, for those that worry about blowing tires off the rim: high pressure, low volume. So low that I wonder how well it would work for high volume tires like fatties or + size tires(though I guess you could just switch out the bottle for a 2L.)
it might just be a schrader valve with the core removed...

you could cut one off a tube and leave a little rubber flange+hot glue for sealing- the air pressure will just make it seal better. I did that to make a boxxer top cap have an air fitting lol.

vogankhadafi
3/6/2015 3:07pm
groghunter wrote:
huh. Be nice to know what the other fitting (the one that isn't obviously a tubeless presta valve) is. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm not placing...
Definitely a presta with the core removed.
groghunter
3/6/2015 3:07pm
Dave_Camp wrote:
it might just be a schrader valve with the core removed... you could cut one off a tube and leave a little rubber flange+hot glue for...

you could cut one off a tube and leave a little rubber flange+hot glue for sealing- the air pressure will just make it seal better. I did that to make a boxxer top cap have an air fitting lol.

I guess you could just buy a pack of tubeless valves & pull the valve core out of one of them as well. If you use a shrader, you might have to worry about one size of tubing fitting both the shrader & the presta you're trying to inflate.
3/6/2015 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 7:23pm
Just made one, they work, holy shit. 70psi, 2 liter coke bottle

sspomer
3/6/2015 9:27pm

that's rad you tried it! cool to hear it worked. post a pic of your setup
3/7/2015 2:11am
Dave_Camp wrote:
It's a good principle. Unfortunately the carbon dioxide causes the sealant to cure, it's the method used for molding latex.

Joe's coke bottle is a wicked hack, definitely one for the road trips!
krisrayner
3/7/2015 6:16am
Am I the only one sketched out by the thought of 100psi in a coke bottle?
elmatzo
3/7/2015 6:38am
groghunter wrote:
Dave_Camp wrote:
it might just be a schrader valve with the core removed... you could cut one off a tube and leave a little rubber flange+hot glue for...

I remember that! DC Special ftw
Big Bird
3/7/2015 8:14am
Dave_Camp wrote:
That's called making a dry ice bomb! It's fun with confetti inside.
sspomer
3/7/2015 1:06pm
krisrayner wrote:
Am I the only one sketched out by the thought of 100psi in a coke bottle?
i know i would be flinching for sure. a quick look around the web shows unscientific claims of a 20oz bottle supporting 140-160psi.

sspomer
3/7/2015 1:53pm
some close up pics of the system via sven. #hightech

3/7/2015 2:46pm

sspomer wrote:
that's rad you tried it! cool to hear it worked. post a pic of your setup

I wasn't able to get an airtight seal with the bleed hose crimper so I used channel locks. Also bought 2 feet of plastic hose and those metal crimp things from the hardware store for $3

sspomer
3/7/2015 2:56pm
that's awesome! budget soda for maximum $avings haha. good work
Pudskies
3/7/2015 8:48pm
I made this one with a few spare parts from work. Thanks for the idea.

jojotherider
3/9/2015 6:43pm
I wonder how big of a bottle you would need. I wonder if an old Nalgene bottle would work. Approx 1 liter.
groghunter
3/14/2015 2:34pm
I wonder how big of a bottle you would need. I wonder if an old Nalgene bottle would work. Approx 1 liter.
The bottle in the original video is a 1L.
groghunter
3/14/2015 2:37pm
So I tried this with an Arizona Tea bottle today. the indentations in the bottle started deforming at around 30PSI, bottom blew out at around 50. So avoid that one.
tmano2
3/14/2015 2:56pm
groghunter wrote:
So I tried this with an Arizona Tea bottle today. the indentations in the bottle started deforming at around 30PSI, bottom blew out at around 50...
So I tried this with an Arizona Tea bottle today. the indentations in the bottle started deforming at around 30PSI, bottom blew out at around 50. So avoid that one.
coke bottles are way more stronger because they are made for a drink with c02 in it, it has to withstand pressure like if you shake a coke bottle you will ear the gas in it, and if you open it ,it will be compressed out, on a normal drink no
groghunter
3/14/2015 3:20pm
groghunter wrote:
So I tried this with an Arizona Tea bottle today. the indentations in the bottle started deforming at around 30PSI, bottom blew out at around 50...
tmano2 wrote:
coke bottles are way more stronger because they are made for a drink with c02 in it, it has to withstand pressure like if you shake...
coke bottles are way more stronger because they are made for a drink with c02 in it, it has to withstand pressure like if you shake a coke bottle you will ear the gas in it, and if you open it ,it will be compressed out, on a normal drink no
I get that, but I wanted something with wider cap, so I could use a 1/4" brass fitting for the outlet, with a nice ball valve(which incidentally, works great. threw it on a air tank a buddy had when the bottle didn't work.)

Coke isn't pressurized to 100PSI, so if those bottles are rated for more pressure than they actually use, I figured it was worth a try with an another bottle. It's not like there isn't some pressure in those bottles, to keep stuff from going bad.
Big Bird
3/14/2015 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 8:59am
On a slightly different note. Anyone ever heard of a Whisky Cloud? No? Here's what you do. Take a two liter bottle and put a dram of your finest whisky in there. Only use the good stuff, because you end up tasting every molecule of flavor. Then you get a rubber plug for the top into which the hose to your pump is threaded. Have your friend pump it up to about thirty pounds, or however much pressure you can hold in, then QUICKLY let the top pop, stick in a long straw and suck out the cloud of whisky vapor that you've just created. It's the rapid change in pressure that creates the tasty cloud. It gives you a slight little tipsy buzz which fades fairly quickly. Unless you do one after the other in quick succession. Enjoy!

Edited for proper Whisky spelling.

groghunter
3/14/2015 7:29pm
Big Bird wrote:
On a slightly different note. Anyone ever heard of a Whisky Cloud? No? Here's what you do. Take a two liter bottle and put a dram...
On a slightly different note. Anyone ever heard of a Whisky Cloud? No? Here's what you do. Take a two liter bottle and put a dram of your finest whisky in there. Only use the good stuff, because you end up tasting every molecule of flavor. Then you get a rubber plug for the top into which the hose to your pump is threaded. Have your friend pump it up to about thirty pounds, or however much pressure you can hold in, then QUICKLY let the top pop, stick in a long straw and suck out the cloud of whisky vapor that you've just created. It's the rapid change in pressure that creates the tasty cloud. It gives you a slight little tipsy buzz which fades fairly quickly. Unless you do one after the other in quick succession. Enjoy!

Edited for proper Whisky spelling.

That's god damn genius.
Big Bird
3/15/2015 8:58am
I'd like to claim the idea as my own, but my brother showed me. Try it with a good peaty whisky and you'll taste the ocean.
groghunter
4/1/2015 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2015 3:23pm
So I'm working on a parts list to do this with about 10 dollars of brass pipe, to get a nice, clean device (possibly figure out a way to attach a presta to brass pipe, as well. waiting on parts to test.)

But I got to thinking today: what about a paintball air tank & regulator? you can get into those parts for about $40 bucks. advantage over coke bottle is, you could probably do all your bikes, all your friends bikes, & not have to fill the bottle more than once every few years. Thoughts?

edit: hmmmm: http://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Pneumatics-WRCO2-K1-regulator-Coupler/…

Now to see if one can find a cheaper option... Paintball regulators are much cheaper, but less adjustable.
Big Bird
4/1/2015 4:34pm
groghunter wrote:
So I'm working on a parts list to do this with about 10 dollars of brass pipe, to get a nice, clean device (possibly figure out...
So I'm working on a parts list to do this with about 10 dollars of brass pipe, to get a nice, clean device (possibly figure out a way to attach a presta to brass pipe, as well. waiting on parts to test.)

But I got to thinking today: what about a paintball air tank & regulator? you can get into those parts for about $40 bucks. advantage over coke bottle is, you could probably do all your bikes, all your friends bikes, & not have to fill the bottle more than once every few years. Thoughts?

edit: hmmmm: http://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Pneumatics-WRCO2-K1-regulator-Coupler/…

Now to see if one can find a cheaper option... Paintball regulators are much cheaper, but less adjustable.
You could trim the bottom of a presta valve so that there's no rubber or anything left at the base then tap a brass pipe cap to accept it with a bit of thread locker.
groghunter
4/1/2015 5:09pm
groghunter wrote:
So I'm working on a parts list to do this with about 10 dollars of brass pipe, to get a nice, clean device (possibly figure out...

Big Bird wrote:
You could trim the bottom of a presta valve so that there's no rubber or anything left at the base then tap a brass pipe cap...
You could trim the bottom of a presta valve so that there's no rubber or anything left at the base then tap a brass pipe cap to accept it with a bit of thread locker.
I'm actually hoping it will be far simpler: I'm hoping a standard 1/4" compression fitting will seal to standard tubeless valve, with the compression olive removed. If that doesn't work, I've got some botranger tubeless valves that have a smooth shaft at the bottom: maybe the olive will seal around it. I'm actually only playing with this for others: My pump handles shraeder just fine, so I'll just end up using a standard tank valve, because it's easier. I'm just waiting on some fittings & a specific bottle that I think will work better than a coke one, to test all this out.

Post a reply to: Joe Barnes' DIY Coke Bottle Tubeless Compressor Hack

The Latest