Intense Tazer vs Spec. Turbo Levo...???

MOTO13
Looked and really didn't see any threads about these bikes. I snapped my tib and fib in March. After being plated and screwed again I should be weight bearing/walking soon and will be looking to get a new bike in June. I know bits and pieces about both bikes. The Tazer is considerably less expensive than the carbon TL. But, from what I've see the TL is the top dog in the E-MTB world. Both bikes seem like excellent choices.

Basically, I am looking for members who may have real world experience with one or both of these bikes to help in my decision making. I ride mainly woods trails here in SE Wisconsin. No real downhill or high speed stuff. Thanks for any help.
|
Panic_rev
5/24/2019 1:13pm
MOTO13 wrote:
Looked and really didn't see any threads about these bikes. I snapped my tib and fib in March. After being plated and screwed again I should...
Looked and really didn't see any threads about these bikes. I snapped my tib and fib in March. After being plated and screwed again I should be weight bearing/walking soon and will be looking to get a new bike in June. I know bits and pieces about both bikes. The Tazer is considerably less expensive than the carbon TL. But, from what I've see the TL is the top dog in the E-MTB world. Both bikes seem like excellent choices.

Basically, I am looking for members who may have real world experience with one or both of these bikes to help in my decision making. I ride mainly woods trails here in SE Wisconsin. No real downhill or high speed stuff. Thanks for any help.
My brother has the TL. It’s amazing. Being able to program the motor and battery for your specific ride is pretty cool. One thing he doesn’t like is the top speed and how it reacts once it’s reached. Our only other experience is the trek power fly. That thing is heavy even for e bikes and short travel.
MOTO13
5/24/2019 1:36pm
Couple more things/questions about e-bikes...when you pedal them while in assisted mode, are you speed limited or are you able to basically go as fast as you like?

Also, when not in e-assist mode, does the bike pedal harder than a regular bike? Are you always pedaling through the electric motor even when not being assisted and does this make pedaling more difficult?
bturman
5/24/2019 1:51pm
MOTO13 wrote:
Couple more things/questions about e-bikes...when you pedal them while in assisted mode, are you speed limited or are you able to basically go as fast as...
Couple more things/questions about e-bikes...when you pedal them while in assisted mode, are you speed limited or are you able to basically go as fast as you like?

Also, when not in e-assist mode, does the bike pedal harder than a regular bike? Are you always pedaling through the electric motor even when not being assisted and does this make pedaling more difficult?
Depending on the class of e-bike the motor will cut out at a predetermined speed.

I can't speak to resistance in the motor when off, but you'd have to propel all that added weight at the very least.
Raine
5/24/2019 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2019 7:12pm
MOTO13 wrote:
Couple more things/questions about e-bikes...when you pedal them while in assisted mode, are you speed limited or are you able to basically go as fast as...

You are not "speed limited" in that you can go as fast as you can pedal, just like non E-MTBs. However the motor will stop assisting you at a certain threshold - rules vary around the globe, but in the U.S. these "class 1" E-MTBs can assist up to 20 mph. After that it's all leg power.

With regards to your second question, it depends on what E-MTB and what drive unit (motor) it has. Some drive units have some resistance you can feel in the crank more than others; however another important thing to understand is that an E-MTB is frame (with drive unit and battery) is generally around 15-20 pounds heavier than a non-assisted MTB. That weight is always there.

EDIT" Forgot to add, I've tried both of the bikes you mentioned at a local E-MTB demo, and between those two I'd go with the Turbo Levo (if the budget can handle it).
Moosey
5/25/2019 12:02am
The other thing to think about, I'm sure intense is great with service, but working for specialized dealers these last few years they have been exceptional. I haven't had to work on their ebikes much, but when I do it ain't bad. I've done wiring harness swaps, a few motor swaps, and even had to 'hack' one of the 28mph road models to 20mph to make it class one legal. On that one the Levo expert at Spec created the 'hack' specifically for that case. The point here being any specialized dealer should have the same access I do, it'll be up to the mechanics if they wanna take on the challenge (I'm shocked by how many mechanics refuse to work on any any ebike).

Also having ridden many of them, I can highly recommend. First ride out on one I was so comfy I sent a new 15' gap with ease. I'd never want to pedal without the motor though, it's doable, no extra drag, but they hefty.

I haven't spent a good amount of time on any other ebike. I guess it's because I don't think it can get better than the levo right now.

If you haven't noticed this review is biased. I like specialized. Keep that in mind.
5/26/2019 7:10pm
My 2 cents is, it's gonna come down to the battery/motor/range first...bike geo, spec, service, etc next.
Intense has Shimano motor, Brose in the Specialized.
I've ridden both, owned both motors, the new Brose motor in the new levo's is better-simply put. The new Levo with the 700wh battery is also something that I would consider a need, but to each their own.
SHimano motor is a bit loud, one of the louder motors, BUT, the motor power delivery is nice with shimano.
I put a 275 plus rear wheel on the Levo expert, and its pretty sweet.

You might wanna look at the YT Decoy too, those look pretty sweet, shimano motor in there, but killer looking bike.

I've ridden and owned a bunch of them, always come back to the Levo-especially the new models, that brose motor is smooth, powerful, quiet, reliable.
Crush
5/27/2019 3:27am
I've got a Kenevo. Had a levo.

Levo definitely more fun on trails. Kenevo is a sled. I put a 160 fork on my levo and it would do anything no dramas. The Kenevo eats that stuff up but is more work on the mellow stuff.

Never ridden a tazer but I have read reviews from owners who rave on em.

S's Dealer support is good and so is their warranty. You'll likely need it. Seems they're having their share of issues, which might be more than companies running shimano gear – with the exception of those running shimano with custom batteries... YT have a 6 month warranty on their battery. Crikey. I was keen until that and I bet they're pissed shimano just released their integrated battery.
MOTO13
5/27/2019 5:14am
Thanks for all the great info. I'm leaning towards the T levo for sure. One thing I don't really like is that it's a 29r. I'm more a 27.5 guy.
Crush
5/27/2019 5:50am
Lots of people going mullet or 27.5 on the new levo. I can't comment sorry but I am wanting to try a 29 up front on the kenevo...
5/27/2019 11:36am
MOTO13 wrote:
Thanks for all the great info. I'm leaning towards the T levo for sure. One thing I don't really like is that it's a 29r. I'm...
Thanks for all the great info. I'm leaning towards the T levo for sure. One thing I don't really like is that it's a 29r. I'm more a 27.5 guy.
I probably wont go back to full 29 on the new levo, 275 plus rear (well, 2.8, is that a plus?) is super sick. Might throw a 29 back in there if I do some long fireroad type bullsh1t. I've known a few people that had Levo / kenevo issues, but they honestly dont know how to maintain their bikes AND there is more Specialized emtb's out there than any other....these are the type of riders that pressure wash them, charge battery and just leave it plugged in for days, practice zero common sense
MOTO13
5/28/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 10:45am
I have heard about walk assist while looking at manuf websites. What is this? I can't find any information as to what this exactly is.................................... Forget it...I'm retarded. It's to assist you while you walk the bike.
11/6/2020 8:46am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 8:47am
Old thread but this is what I was looking for. Gonna focus on the Turbo Levo.

I'm almost sure I'd want the 27.5 rear as I've ridden that before and really liked it. What's the most economical way to get that?
MOTO13
11/14/2020 12:25pm
I recently bought the Trek Rail 9.7. It's a 29r, carbon frame,160mm, 625wh batter, 85nm torque bosch cx. I can tell you this thing impresses me everytime I ride it. I never owned or wanted a Trek before (and I live in Wisc). But when I finally read the emtb reviews and was able to buy my Trek locally, that sealed it. Bought the Rail. I would never go back to a regular mtb ever again. E bikes are just WAAAAY more fun. It's not even close. Yes, the walk assist literally helps you walk the bike up a very steep hill etc... I have used it once. I recommend it. Not all e bikes have this feature.Another thing is my bike has emtb mode. It adjusts the level of motor assist you receive based on pedal input. GET THIS FEATURE. It really makes a huge difference as the motor varies power based upon rider input. Amazing.

Post a reply to: Intense Tazer vs Spec. Turbo Levo...???

The Latest