GoPro 7 with HyperSmooth - game changer for mtb?

Related:
dmcd38
Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 7:05am
Hey guys,

Got the new GoPro 7 Black!!
In my opinion its a bit better than the 6, but only because of the firmware and i think it also makes a bit more crop on the image.

Colors seams better yes, but again, because of the firmware as it uses the same processor and sensor as the 6.

whats your opinion? way better or just a bit better??

|
LLLLL
9/30/2018 1:52pm
It's also got more ram. Explains why it's doesn't snap correct the stabilisation like the six.
skypig
1/18/2019 6:15pm
Used mine for the first time yesterday.
Seems great. (Also have a Hero 3 - old, and a “Fusion” - amazing 360 deg!)

1080p 50fps - will play with settings.
https://vimeo.com/312065732
B_Rupp
1/18/2019 6:46pm
I think the stabilization is a huge step up. I’ve used it for snowbording and biking and the footage looks way more dialed than on past cameras. For me, it’s become far more usable and worth having.
Eoin
2/19/2019 2:51am
I've gotten better at recording with the hero 7 black, and now would consider gimbals unnecessary.

You need to have a very stable chest mount (or helmet mount but I dont like the angles). I have added padding to my chest mount and resown the straps to be extra tight, this way I get very smooth footage nearly everytime despite riding pretty rough trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgj4AUk8pE (re-encoded footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWlVInULFyk (raw footage)

Needs 4k or 1440 on youtube to prevent bitrate distortion.
Skerby
3/5/2019 7:48am
^ I got a 7 black for Xmas and have sort of struggled to get a the chest mount dialed in.

Will running the camera upside down mess with the footage at all?
Falcon
3/6/2019 11:53am
Skerby wrote:
^ I got a 7 black for Xmas and have sort of struggled to get a the chest mount dialed in. Will running the camera upside...
^ I got a 7 black for Xmas and have sort of struggled to get a the chest mount dialed in.

I had a GoPro way back in the day. (When they were called "GoPro." This was even before GoPro HD, GoPro 3, etc.) Even then, you could orient the footage on that camera if necessary. I'm sure there's a setting for that on the new ones.
sspomer
3/6/2019 11:58am
Skerby wrote:
^ I got a 7 black for Xmas and have sort of struggled to get a the chest mount dialed in. Will running the camera upside...

running upside down is fine (i do that) and like falcon said, you can flip the footage in settings (i'm too lazy and do it when i edit).

the stabilization is rad. the only missing piece vs a gimbal is the berm lean. the camera leans w/ you, flattening things out. a gimbal stays parallel to ground making bike/bar lean way more impactful. still, a gimbal is a huge hassle anymore after the 7
Eoin
3/7/2019 7:05am
sspomer wrote:
running upside down is fine (i do that) and like falcon said, you can flip the footage in settings (i'm too lazy and do it when...
running upside down is fine (i do that) and like falcon said, you can flip the footage in settings (i'm too lazy and do it when i edit).

the stabilization is rad. the only missing piece vs a gimbal is the berm lean. the camera leans w/ you, flattening things out. a gimbal stays parallel to ground making bike/bar lean way more impactful. still, a gimbal is a huge hassle anymore after the 7
Yes, I run my GoPro upside down 90% of the time and it figures it out. Just make sure to be at a standstill when you turn it on or the vibrations/motion might cause it to get confused and flip your footage, it checks which direction is up when you press record.

My wife is always making fun of me for "leaning into the turns" when I rewatch my videos at home Tongue , so that is a good argument for a gimbal: not looking like a dork when you watch yourself ride...

Based on other riders' advice I modified my chest mount with extra padding top and bottom, and recently added grip tape to make sure it doesn't move around.

sspomer
3/7/2019 7:17am
Eoin wrote:
Yes, I run my GoPro upside down 90% of the time and it figures it out. Just make sure to be at a standstill when you...
Yes, I run my GoPro upside down 90% of the time and it figures it out. Just make sure to be at a standstill when you turn it on or the vibrations/motion might cause it to get confused and flip your footage, it checks which direction is up when you press record.

My wife is always making fun of me for "leaning into the turns" when I rewatch my videos at home Tongue , so that is a good argument for a gimbal: not looking like a dork when you watch yourself ride...

Based on other riders' advice I modified my chest mount with extra padding top and bottom, and recently added grip tape to make sure it doesn't move around.

HAHA leaning while you watch! guilty.

Post a reply to: GoPro 7 with HyperSmooth - game changer for mtb?

The Latest