G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time)

Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 6:09pm
Who do you believe is the G.O.A.T. of all DH and Enduro?
|
nehuen93
8/31/2015 8:22pm
It will always be cedric for me. May not have as many championships and wins as some others, but is always the most exciting and fun rider to watch. He did well in every discipline he tried (DH, 4x, freeride, enduro). And his movie segments are among the best.
I was lucky to meet him a few years ago in a race in Argentina and share a meal with him, he is super nice and humble.

sspomer
9/1/2015 10:11am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 10:13am
i'm gonna throw minnaar up there. not for enduro, but for all-around bad-assness. minnaar could probably crush enduro if he tried.

it's hard to argue against cedric too. he's won a rampage and can basically do anything on a bike really well.

here's an argument for both cedric and minnaar circa 2001. nasty dirt jump skills before world champs.

the GOAT that i'd prefer to watch ride over anyone, any day of the week is mutha f*%ing sam hill though : )
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 10:19am
Wish I could find that movie in its entirety again. #ruinedmylife Wink
Balog
9/1/2015 10:35am
Vouilloz was an actual ET.... but Sam Hill was not different and I preffered his style.

For me... Sam Hill is the real legend of the sport.

But there´s a problem here... why not girls? ANd if we talk about girls... Chausson was unbeatable... simply the greatest ever. Rachael is great? Yes she is... but Anne Caro was insane. Missy Giove was nuts? Yes she was... but Anne Caro was faster.

Anyway... there are a lot of legends in the sport... Credric was the most stylish! Minnaar the biggest WC winner, super clear riding. Peaty won Worlds older than anyone.

This is a sick sport!
Euskafreez
9/1/2015 10:51am
Sam Hill has a unique style and you know by looking at him he's fast.

When it comes to Vouilloz it's a complete different deal. Despite the fact I was not supporting him back in the days -I always cheered Franck Roman-, Vouilloz was and still is the GOAT. Bat he did and still does on rock garden ...

On one simple move he creates seconds. Lucky me I've seen them all as a spectator. I will always remember some of his moves and his effortless style. How many times did Vouilloz fell when leading the worlds with a huge margin? The only rainbow jersey he lost was due to a puncture.
sspomer
9/1/2015 11:01am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 11:04am
nico is so gnarly. the way he rode the last steep section at vail in 2001 world champs is ludicrous. barely touched the ground on the steepest, off-camber portion of the course.

more 2001 goodness brines : ) stoked to have seen him in action in person. in some of the footage below, he raced dual slalom at the deer valley Norba national. he used his DH bike, reducing the travel somehow. he did really well, too.

jeff.brines
9/1/2015 11:10am
PS, I remember looking for the Billy Jean Lake Arbor vid from 15 years ago too... (eek, been that long!?) That's a gem too.
AGR97
9/1/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 11:43am
In Downhill, Aaron Gwin. He may not have as many wins as Nico or Greg, but he's won 41% of all UCI DH rounds in the last five seasons. Not to mention several runs that will go down in history, Val di sole 2012, Lourdes and Windham 2015, and of course THAT run in Leogang. I believe to come into the Sport as late as he did and dominate when the rest of the field was separated by much smaller margins shows how amazing he is. Worthy of GOAT in my opinion.
9/1/2015 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 12:27pm
Anne Caro
Nico Vouilloz
Jared Graves

Though Minnaar is as good a name as any...and if this question were asked ten years from now...I'd guess he'd be right up there. He's my favorite pro at the moment--such skill, style and technique. Makes it look effortless and still has that fire burning inside.
9/1/2015 12:38pm
AGR97 wrote:
In Downhill, Aaron Gwin. He may not have as many wins as Nico or Greg, but he's won 41% of all UCI DH rounds in the...
In Downhill, Aaron Gwin. He may not have as many wins as Nico or Greg, but he's won 41% of all UCI DH rounds in the last five seasons. Not to mention several runs that will go down in history, Val di sole 2012, Lourdes and Windham 2015, and of course THAT run in Leogang. I believe to come into the Sport as late as he did and dominate when the rest of the field was separated by much smaller margins shows how amazing he is. Worthy of GOAT in my opinion.
Problem with Gwin is he's never won a Worlds, right?
AGR97
9/1/2015 12:43pm
Problem with Gwin is he's never won a Worlds, right?
Not gonna jinx him now am I?
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 2:58pm
Hill is good but reminds me of Tiger Woods in a number of ways. Was so dominate for awhile but can't seem to find his way back uptop.

The greatest ever... (in no order)

Graves: Dominated 4x like nobody ever did. Has won XC races. Killer enduro racer and oh yeah, has podiumed in WC DH (not sure he has a win though)

Ann Caro: If she was a guy there would be no question who the best ever DH racer was. She's dominated both DH and enduro.

Johnny T: Who else can claim top rung road racing, XC racing and DH racing? Sure, the sport has changed but his spawning of Eli only further proves how strong the two wheeled genetics are in this family

Gwinny: You can't argue his ability to find the top step. To be so consistent at this level with such little time (relatively speaking) on a DH bike is unreal. He is on track to be the best DH racer of all time.

Nico: He found seconds where nobody else could. His ability to still find the podium in Enduro at nearly 40 is equally impressive. I never got to watch him ride in person but 9/10 World Champs says something

Barel: Maybe not the best ever but he's got to be on the list.

Minnaar: I actually forgot to add him my first go around mostly cause I think its so damn obvious. On paper, he's the best ever in DH and a formidable competitor in everything he's tried (4x, Dual, DS, etc)
AGR97
9/1/2015 1:05pm
Hill is good but reminds me of Tiger Woods in a number of ways. Was so dominate for awhile but can't seem to find his way...
Hill is good but reminds me of Tiger Woods in a number of ways. Was so dominate for awhile but can't seem to find his way back uptop.

The greatest ever... (in no order)

Graves: Dominated 4x like nobody ever did. Has won XC races. Killer enduro racer and oh yeah, has podiumed in WC DH (not sure he has a win though)

Ann Caro: If she was a guy there would be no question who the best ever DH racer was. She's dominated both DH and enduro.

Johnny T: Who else can claim top rung road racing, XC racing and DH racing? Sure, the sport has changed but his spawning of Eli only further proves how strong the two wheeled genetics are in this family

Gwinny: You can't argue his ability to find the top step. To be so consistent at this level with such little time (relatively speaking) on a DH bike is unreal. He is on track to be the best DH racer of all time.

Nico: He found seconds where nobody else could. His ability to still find the podium in Enduro at nearly 40 is equally impressive. I never got to watch him ride in person but 9/10 World Champs says something

Barel: Maybe not the best ever but he's got to be on the list.

Minnaar: I actually forgot to add him my first go around mostly cause I think its so damn obvious. On paper, he's the best ever in DH and a formidable competitor in everything he's tried (4x, Dual, DS, etc)
Barel deserves a mention for his contribution to both riding technique and bike geometry. The guy is a wizard and watching his Dirt interview on flow did more for my riding than years at my local cycling club
Chuck Norris
9/1/2015 1:56pm
For Downhill: Steve Peat.

Think about it...

For Enduro: Give it another 10 years.
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 2:13pm
For Downhill: Steve Peat.

Think about it...

For Enduro: Give it another 10 years.
He should be on my silly little list for sure. But he's not the greatest of all time...

Now, best DHer to have a beer with of all time, he's certainly winning that one. Or "best ambassador of all time"... but greatest? Not by any objective measuring stick...
Micalet
9/1/2015 2:39pm
You ain't get called ET by your own adversaries for a few winnings...

...it TOTAL SUPREMACY

But I think Anne Caro is even better !!!
TEAMROBOT
9/1/2015 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 2:55pm
There are several noteworthy, amazing athletes that rose above the rest, but there can only be two senior men in discussion for the GOAT. We're not playing "who's your favorite rider," because the correct answer to that is clearly Sam Hill.

Minnaar: three world champ titles, 18 world cup wins, three world cup overall wins, a bunch of Norba wins, and something like 70 world cup podiums in a little over 100 appearances?

The Alien: ten world champ titles, 16 world cup wins, four world cup overall wins, countless Norba wins and titles.

In short, Minnaar has raced for longer and won more. The Alien raced for a shorter period, but was completely dominant during that time. They are both great for their consistent ability to find time on tracks, in conditions, and on days where they should not be expected to succeed. They are both incredibly smart, cerebral athletes.

As for women, clearly Anne Caro. She beats guys regularly, is still racing Enduro, and holds an olympic gold medal for a completely different event, so she's like Jared Graves and Nico rolled up in one.
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 2:57pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
There are several noteworthy, amazing athletes that rose above the rest, but there can only be two senior men in discussion for the GOAT. We're not...
There are several noteworthy, amazing athletes that rose above the rest, but there can only be two senior men in discussion for the GOAT. We're not playing "who's your favorite rider," because the correct answer to that is clearly Sam Hill.

Minnaar: three world champ titles, 18 world cup wins, three world cup overall wins, a bunch of Norba wins, and something like 70 world cup podiums in a little over 100 appearances?

The Alien: ten world champ titles, 16 world cup wins, four world cup overall wins, countless Norba wins and titles.

In short, Minnaar has raced for longer and won more. The Alien raced for a shorter period, but was completely dominant during that time. They are both great for their consistent ability to find time on tracks, in conditions, and on days where they should not be expected to succeed. They are both incredibly smart, cerebral athletes.

As for women, clearly Anne Caro. She beats guys regularly, is still racing Enduro, and holds an olympic gold medal for a completely different event, so she's like Jared Graves and Nico rolled up in one.
Shit, I failed. Totally meant to put Minnaar on my stupid list too. #Fail
chup29
9/1/2015 4:41pm
Sam Hill without a doubt. Talk to me when somebody, anybody, can get within 10% of the corner speed and inside line sneakiness that god/man possesses in his pinky. Corner speed and inside line sneakiness are the only relevant parameters that matter to me. Every other part of mountain biking is just passing time until the next sneaky line or corner.
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 4:47pm
chup29 wrote:
Sam Hill without a doubt. Talk to me when somebody, anybody, can get within 10% of the corner speed and inside line sneakiness that god/man possesses...
Sam Hill without a doubt. Talk to me when somebody, anybody, can get within 10% of the corner speed and inside line sneakiness that god/man possesses in his pinky. Corner speed and inside line sneakiness are the only relevant parameters that matter to me. Every other part of mountain biking is just passing time until the next sneaky line or corner.
Then why hasn't he won more Wink
drexel
9/1/2015 4:57pm
Why hasn't Hill won more you ask? INJURIES!!
jeff.brines
9/1/2015 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 5:01pm
drexel wrote:
Why hasn't Hill won more you ask? INJURIES!!
For sure. That's part of it. But I also think the world caught up to his ability to carry speed. Maybe nobody can find the inside line quiet like him but the sport is a bit different than when he was unstoppable over a half of decade ago.
drexel
9/1/2015 5:21pm
Sure, everyone has gotten faster, but he's only raced a full season one time since his dominant days. In that season, he won twice and should have won World Champs.
mp
9/1/2015 5:48pm
Tomac, Nico....

rock jesus... maybe in 10 years.

Post a reply to: G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time)

The Latest