Full face eyewear

Losifer
Edited Date/Time 3/15/2020 6:48pm
Hoo boy... At the risk of starting a fashion discussion, I'm wondering what folks who use full face helmets for trail riding are using to cover their eyeballs.

After 9 surgeries to rebuild my face after getting hit by a car, I ain't gonna stop wearing a full face on pretty much all of my trail rides. Vital MTB agrees that, especially with the increasingly burlier trails that are being ridden on increasingly capable trail bikes, protecting the front of your head is a good idea.

My new TLD Stage is super comfortable, lightweight, and ventilated. There's just so little drawback to wearing it on any ride on dirt. It looks really good too, although I dork it up by wearing sunglasses.

Now, Johan may bag on the idea of wearing anything other than goggles with a full face helmet, but how the hell are you wearing goggles on a 10 mile climb in 90+ degree day?

|
bturman
1/2/2020 10:43am
I strap them on backwards for long climbs.
BHowell
1/2/2020 12:33pm
You can also do the double wrap around your forearm to keep your vents from being covered.
1/2/2020 12:55pm
bturman wrote:
Same, i wear goggle pretty much every trail ride with a half lid or the full face, strap them on backwards and just put them on the you start heading down.
Big Bird
1/2/2020 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 10:23am
bturman wrote:
stringbean wrote:
Same, i wear goggle pretty much every trail ride with a half lid or the full face, strap them on backwards and just put them on...
Same, i wear goggle pretty much every trail ride with a half lid or the full face, strap them on backwards and just put them on the you start heading down.
We used to get a second to catch our breath at the top of the climb to lower our seat posts. Now that chore is solved, it's the goggle flip.
Falcon
1/3/2020 9:07am
Wear comfy goggles. I'm really happy with my SPYs and I bet if you pick a brand that really works for you it will be fine. I've found that the sweat absorption aspect is really nice in the summer compared to sunglasses. I don't mind the heat so much, I guess. I just wear them on my face at all times. I'm quite used to goggles from the moto side of things, though, and I take a lot of breaks, so maybe there's the critical difference.

For me, the biggest issue with a full-face is how to get a drink of water from a bottle. I'm going to have to figure out a straw system or something.
Skerby
1/3/2020 11:50am
Losifer wrote:
Hoo boy... At the risk of starting a fashion discussion, I'm wondering what folks who use full face helmets for trail riding are using to cover...
Hoo boy... At the risk of starting a fashion discussion, I'm wondering what folks who use full face helmets for trail riding are using to cover their eyeballs.

After 9 surgeries to rebuild my face after getting hit by a car, I ain't gonna stop wearing a full face on pretty much all of my trail rides. Vital MTB agrees that, especially with the increasingly burlier trails that are being ridden on increasingly capable trail bikes, protecting the front of your head is a good idea.

My new TLD Stage is super comfortable, lightweight, and ventilated. There's just so little drawback to wearing it on any ride on dirt. It looks really good too, although I dork it up by wearing sunglasses.

Now, Johan may bag on the idea of wearing anything other than goggles with a full face helmet, but how the hell are you wearing goggles on a 10 mile climb in 90+ degree day?

Your face will get strong again dude! I only had to have 3 surgeries, but they were massive. Took me a few years to feel normal, but I have been smacked in the same part of my face really hard with a number of objects since and it has held up very well.
skypig
1/11/2020 11:39pm
I’m going through a similar phase.
I’ve found Moto X googles great, except for long slow climbs.

After a face plant cut my nose badly with my Rudy Projects, I bought a Fox Pro frame full face.
Feel a little safer wearing the sunnies with that, but have issues with sweat control. (As I had with open face.)
The MX googles are great for sweat control - but as mentioned - hot on slow climbs.

No where good to mount the goggles on the helmet when not on my face. (Strange shell shape and unadjustable peak)
Might try the “arm” suggestion.
Not really keen on constant on/off with the gogs for some of my riding - hot desert. Flat with short climbs/descents.

Need better sweat band/skull cap and sunnies for those rides maybe.
MX goggles for rides with bigger ups and downs. (Off for the ups.....)
Losifer
1/12/2020 9:13am
Losifer wrote:
Hoo boy... At the risk of starting a fashion discussion, I'm wondering what folks who use full face helmets for trail riding are using to cover...

Skerby wrote:
Your face will get strong again dude! I only had to have 3 surgeries, but they were massive. Took me a few years to feel normal...
Your face will get strong again dude! I only had to have 3 surgeries, but they were massive. Took me a few years to feel normal, but I have been smacked in the same part of my face really hard with a number of objects since and it has held up very well.
Yeah.... not so much.

Graphic pic- this is after being stabilized. There’s been 9 surgeries and 6 bone grafts to get me back to where I am.

rtclark
1/12/2020 6:09pm
I've strapped the googles around the top tube.
erik saunders
1/12/2020 9:38pm
+1 on the goggles turned backwards... its very hard enduro... they offer some pretty good protection too... bigger coverage, stay in place, padded... if you are worried about your face, cant go wrong... ive had my lenses gouged across the whole thing after crashing into a bush... so i will always run them on the protection thing alone...
Ryno785
2/11/2020 1:30pm
The Smith Squad MTB goggles don't have foam over the vents like moto goggles do and breathe a lot better. Obviously it lets in a little dust on a super dusty day but it is a happy medium between glasses and normal goggles. I guess one could cut the foam out of their current goggles as well.
2/12/2020 9:00am
I saw sometime ago that Oakley were bringing out some MTB specific goggles that had much finer foam across the top to prevent fogging, but still protect against dust.. But they never appeared anywhere. Think they were new O Frames.
What about some of the larger glasses - almost goggle shaped. Think 100& make some?
3/15/2020 6:48pm
Pretty much everyone's said this but but yeah, keep goggles on you on the way up, and wear them on the way down. Or if It's a mellower ride and you don't feel you need eyewear, then don't. that's perfectly fine too.

Post a reply to: Full face eyewear

The Latest