Related:
Create New Tag
Bearded Clam
4/1/2010 8:11 AM

There are so many rad frames out its hard to pick my way through them all. I have a 08 glory that needs to go i cant be on such a tank while racing the expert class. I really want the new glory but the wait list is huge and its weeks and weeks away.

Then theres the Trek which i like but people have been saying that the downtubes are fairly thin and dent easy. I did notice at the race last weekend a lot of guys had a carbon shield zip tyed to the down tube.

Then theres the Intense 951 and i have heard mixed reviews on that but one thing is certain is its light! adjustable wheel base, bb and head angle. 9.5 with rc4 steel spring

Transition 450??I sat on the bike and rode around the parking lot and it felt great. adjustable bb height. looks like it would be more on the heavier side single pivot frame. 9.5lbs w/out shock

I have fairly light components on my current rig but if im going to put my tax return to good use i want to build the lightest bike possible because im done throwing my back out getting my glory out of my truck!

Whats your guys thoughts on all these frames? Ill be running a Diverse Dueler rear shock ti spring (2.3lbs) Would like to have a new rig before i start traveling. who knows...

sofa king slow
4/1/2010 9:17 AM

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes listed. I believe Trek beefed up the tubing on the Session for 2010, though that's second hand info.

Bearded Clam
4/4/2010 4:39 PM

theres so many out there that i would be stoked on, but im on a racers budget with traveling this year its going to come down to what i can get the frame for. So many bad ass frames out there thats for damn sure!

that morewood looks rad! i heard there older frames are on the heavy side but im sure they have cut some weight

Marting14
4/4/2010 5:20 PM

smartiboo companies hope for shoppers like you thats why they try to make their parts look shiny and fresh. just because its shiny doesnt mean its strong dont fall for typical marketing tricks.

and clam you have to realize that you make a compromise between weight and strength there will almost never be something thats light and strong no matter what companies claim unless its titanium. id rather put on a couple extra grams and be safer knowing my bike wont crumble underneath.

but banshee makes some pretty good bikes i have yet to hear a complaint about them i myself run their Dj/4x bike the Amp but thats a different story i really have no experience with their DH bikes. intense has a pretty good rep but quite pricey and my friend has had some gnarly crashes on his trek and its still running good (2010 trek session DH) ive ridden it myself its pretty burly

MTB R&D
4/5/2010 7:36 AM
Bearded Clam wrote:

theres so many out there ...more

We cut off the prototype tube and added a hydro-formed top tube. As far as Smartiboo's Email the office is closed till tomorrow because of Easter. I hope we have "character".

Bearded Clam, there are a ton of awesome frames out there. If you are heading to Sea Otter, the Black Mountain Morewood United Team will have a couple of World Cup level Makulu's, Camp of Champions should have a couple, I will have mine unless COC needs to borrow it. I would be happy to throw one on the scale for you out there. (My scale is packed up ready to go.)

There are certain companies that just don't make a bike to fit me. Get on as many bikes as you can. Ride, ride, ride...choose...kill it.

Lance

Bearded Clam
4/7/2010 2:22 PM

im all about performance over looks. I know i am going to have to make a sacrafice on something and im not sure if its my bank, grams or what just yet. There isnt a perfect bike and i think me being a perfectionist im trying to find that while im wearing myself OUT over it. Every year theres a new frame out thats new and improved. Ill deff keep you posted soon i hope on a new frame set and build..

Commecal???

respectivley,
the clam

dacrebrochill17
4/7/2010 3:57 PM

i dont know what smartiboo is talking about, waaaay to much redbull in that guy. i think hydroformed tube has much more "soul" then a standard tube. a ferrari with no soul? come on.

all of those bikes you are interested look great! one thing you could keep in mind is the fact that the big box companies tend to back up their warranties a little more then some of the smaller ones. just my opinion.

good luck! i hope you end up with one that you think is sweet!

Chainline cycles
4/8/2010 8:37 AM

FLATINE W/C TWO THUMBYS IN MY EYE'S BUT I MIGHT BE A LITTLE BIAS.

Bearded Clam
4/9/2010 12:01 PM

Commencal came into the picture recently due to how much i can get it for. I believe by the time i get back from sea otter ill have something on order. Looking forward to pedaling my glory at sea otter! woot woot

CrazyBacon
4/10/2010 7:19 AM

The Evil Revolt frame looks like a joy to ride, nice geometry specs and such, but how the linkage works is a tricky one to answer butit seems okey if you ask Smith perhaps
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41095

In It To Pin It

Bearded Clam
5/4/2010 7:45 AM

got the 2009 commencal supreme dh with the world cup colors thing rips! need to play around with the rear shock because i had it set up for my giant. this bike rolled so much damn faster than my glory it was soo noticable. i have the -1 degree head tube sleeve and i have this thing stretched out as far as it goes. 40.8lbs and i felt a huge difference in the cornering and stability. pedals way better than my glory! stoked on the frame!
Photobucket

Photobucket

sspomer
5/4/2010 9:47 AM

nice! glad you're stoked on it.

sofa king slow
5/4/2010 9:48 AM

Congrats man! Everyone I know on those bikes loves them. Mind sharing your thoughts on the Diverse? That thing has me intrigued.

Bearded Clam
5/17/2010 3:01 PM

Well coming off a fox dhx 5.0 that i ran a little bit on the giant thats the only shock i have to compare it to because i have only been riding DH for about a year and a half now. I am no suspension expert but i had it on my giant for a few months and noticed a difference obviously in weight especially with the ti spring. I noticed it pedaled a lot better, i asked Fadi a good starting point to play with it and after that it was easy to tune and adjust to my liking. I race the expert class and i liked my shock a little stiffer on the glory running a 450 spring. In overall i noticed a big difference on the way the entire shock felt before i tuned and tweeked it compared to the dhx 5.0 when it was dialed.

Now that i have a different linkage Fadi and i have just started to play with some settings and pretty much agree that the 450 spring is too stiff. My buddy has a V-10 and had the opportunity to test the vivid, dhx 5.0 and diverse and stuck with the diverse. Fadi is a great guy who knows a lot. Give him a jingle!

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry