Forum Hot Seat: Canfield Brothers

Related:
sspomer
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 7:49am

Post your questions for Lance and Chris Canfield from 10am to 2pm today and they'll answer them here.

Lance and Chris Canfield have been designing their own bikes since the late 90's and have grown their Canfield Brothers brand to feature diverse array of models ranging from DH bikes to hardtail 29ers.

They've recently released information on their patented CBF suspension platform and today announced the newest version of their acclaimed Crampon Pedal.

Fire away with questions for Lance and Chris in our Forum Hot Seat!

Visit www.canfieldbrothers.com, Facebook and check out the Vital member Canfield bikes in our Bike Check section.

|
8/4/2016 9:42am
I have the original Yelli Screamy and still love it, I was sold by the short chainstay philosophy and still am, but when are you bringing out boost or even plus versions for the 29er series, makes logic sense to me for the bigger wheels.
Ps what annoys me about current bike trends is the inability to run a 170mm dropper post, which I can do on my Yelli, on the super tight switch backs of the French Alps it makes a big difference.
8/4/2016 9:56am
First off, thanks for doing this. I love Canfield's engagement with the community, doing events like this, being active forum posters, supporting the MTB Park Pass, etc. I also love the Bro's philosophy on bike design - rowdy, durable, with long fronts and tight rear ends.

The recent CBF suspension write-up prompted a lot of people to ask, "how is this better than a single pivot located at the top of the chainring, the same place as CBF places it's CC?". It seems like you get slightly better anti-rise and more control over IC location, but can't you get similar anti-squat and leverage curves with a single pivot? Can you elaborate a bit?
Craw
8/4/2016 9:58am
Love your bikes. In fact I find your philosophy and approach to bike building incredibly cool. Is there any chance we'll see an XL EPO soon?
robnarly
8/4/2016 10:00am
Much love for the bros. Keep up the awesome work boys. RobNarly
Mollie
8/4/2016 10:03am
Marry, f*uck, kill? Femke Van den Driessche, Donald Trump, Kim Kardashian.
C2
8/4/2016 10:08am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 12:22pm
I have the original Yelli Screamy and still love it, I was sold by the short chainstay philosophy and still am, but when are you bringing...
I have the original Yelli Screamy and still love it, I was sold by the short chainstay philosophy and still am, but when are you bringing out boost or even plus versions for the 29er series, makes logic sense to me for the bigger wheels.
Ps what annoys me about current bike trends is the inability to run a 170mm dropper post, which I can do on my Yelli, on the super tight switch backs of the French Alps it makes a big difference.
Headless Chicken,
The whole line is going to make the move to boost on the next changes.
Craw
8/4/2016 10:11am
I have the original Yelli Screamy and still love it, I was sold by the short chainstay philosophy and still am, but when are you bringing...
C2 wrote:
Headless Chicken,
The whole line is going to make the move to boost on the next changes.
Typo or not, Boast is the perfect name for it.
C2
8/4/2016 10:33am
First off, thanks for doing this. I love Canfield's engagement with the community, doing events like this, being active forum posters, supporting the MTB Park Pass...
First off, thanks for doing this. I love Canfield's engagement with the community, doing events like this, being active forum posters, supporting the MTB Park Pass, etc. I also love the Bro's philosophy on bike design - rowdy, durable, with long fronts and tight rear ends.

The recent CBF suspension write-up prompted a lot of people to ask, "how is this better than a single pivot located at the top of the chainring, the same place as CBF places it's CC?". It seems like you get slightly better anti-rise and more control over IC location, but can't you get similar anti-squat and leverage curves with a single pivot? Can you elaborate a bit?
"how is this better than a single pivot located at the top of the chainring, the same place as CBF places it's CC?".

The Anti-Squat numbers on both the Single pivot in that location and our CBF are close in the Linkage program. But the pedaling feel of both are very different.
Hard to say why. But Like the Anti-Rise (braking), it has to do with the rear being on a floating member.

Under pedaling it can cause that lock-out feel if setup correctly. Where a single pivot with the same numbers is much more soft under pedaling.

Same goes for braking- the numbers look the same. But the brake mounted directly to the single pivot arm vs a multi-link with a brake mounted on that floating rear triangle, feel very different. The brake on the single pivot loads into the swing-arm directly. Where as the multi-link bike, the brake will load into that floating member-
C2
8/4/2016 10:34am
Craw wrote:
Love your bikes. In fact I find your philosophy and approach to bike building incredibly cool. Is there any chance we'll see an XL EPO soon?
YES- Coming this fall.
Gnarnia420
8/4/2016 10:42am
Was the Big Fat Fatty Fat named after rolling a big fat fatty?
C2
8/4/2016 10:49am
Gnarnia420 wrote:
Was the Big Fat Fatty Fat named after rolling a big fat fatty?
The Big Fat Fatty Fat-
Was named after our family dog that we grew up with.
He was old and mean as hell and a bit pudgy, so Lance nicknamed him the Big Fat Fatty Fat....

We went around with names forever. But when Lance suggested the BF3- we just went with it.
C2
8/4/2016 10:50am
robnarly wrote:
Much love for the bros. Keep up the awesome work boys. RobNarly
Thank Rob- Love you too man
C2
8/4/2016 10:52am
Mollie wrote:
Marry, f*uck, kill? Femke Van den Driessche, Donald Trump, Kim Kardashian.
Ok- too easy.

Femke- marry
F$ck- Kim
Kill- Trump
Gnarnia420
8/4/2016 10:55am
Do you guys ever plan on making a steel DH bike again? The old Formula 1 was one of my favorite rigs back in the day.
Jewpowered
8/4/2016 10:56am
If someone you didn't know invited you inside a windowless trailer, would you be most enticed by

A. Cookies

B. Puppies

C. Candy

D. A Vice
C2
8/4/2016 11:08am
Gnarnia420 wrote:
Do you guys ever plan on making a steel DH bike again? The old Formula 1 was one of my favorite rigs back in the day.
Don't even get me started about Steel DH rigs.
Love them so much. But sadly no.
No plans, but I could see doing custom steel again, like the signature series days, with one off custom stuff.

But trust me- I still have two steel rigs at the office built and ready to ride.
The last Signature series frame-
And the prototype LUCKY.
C2
8/4/2016 11:10am
Jewpowered wrote:
If someone you didn't know invited you inside a windowless trailer, would you be most enticed by

A. Cookies

B. Puppies

C. Candy

D. A Vice
I'd say-

D- A Vice

When you need one- it's worth the risk.
Craw
8/4/2016 11:13am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 11:19am
Craw wrote:
C2 wrote:
YES- Coming this fall.
Excellent! Can we roughly extrapolate the sizing numbers from the other size jumps or will XL be treated differently?

I have concerns that an XL rider might be too far off the back of the bike with respect to those 414mm chainstays. A steep STA helps manage this but might be at odds with a XL rider's longer femurs. Thoughts?

Will it get Boost and stealth dropper routing?

8/4/2016 11:24am
At what point was it that your guys realized that you could make a living out of selling bikes?
8/4/2016 11:25am
I look at the riot and see perfect geometry and an awesome suspension platform. How is the durability of the riot? Really considering this as my next bike.
baldemar
8/4/2016 11:31am
What's the main difference between the 2014 and 2016 Balance? I have the 2014, but if the difference is substantial... do you have any upgrade program for something like this?

Thanks!
C2
8/4/2016 11:35am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 1:40pm
Craw wrote:
C2 wrote:
YES- Coming this fall.
Craw wrote:
Excellent! Can we roughly extrapolate the sizing numbers from the other size jumps or will XL be treated differently? I have concerns that an XL rider...
Excellent! Can we roughly extrapolate the sizing numbers from the other size jumps or will XL be treated differently?

I have concerns that an XL rider might be too far off the back of the bike with respect to those 414mm chainstays. A steep STA helps manage this but might be at odds with a XL rider's longer femurs. Thoughts?

Will it get Boost and stealth dropper routing?

The XL is similar to the 2017 N9. Geo charts will be release next week.

I'm 6'1" and feel like the 414mm stay is money for me.
Perfect mix of being able to lift the front for drops, and pump manual through the holes.
With the seat angle to match, the body position works well for the climbs too.
Longer stays might be ideal for the 6'3+ guys that can man handle the bike with their size. But with the size of Canfield Brothers, it's not cost effective to buy another rear triangle mold for just the XL.

And no Boost and Yes to the stealth dropper hole.
Gravnetic
8/4/2016 11:35am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 11:36am
Lance, can you talk about what has been like and meant to you to be essentially on the road for 2-3 years? What was your favorite spots and what were some of the low points being a bike gypsy?
C2
8/4/2016 11:36am
Any plans for a plastic full suspension bike?
YES
rugbyred
8/4/2016 11:37am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 11:44am
Hello,
I'm presently riding an Ibis Mojo HDR with an angle set. Really enjoy the bike but it is cracked (still riding it though without issues).
I'm considering your Balance plus a few others. I ride up to ride down plus race enduro. When we get tired, we use the chairlift and ride the DH trails at Bromont.
Why should I buy your bike over the Evil Wreckoning, Transition Patrol and or the Devinci Spartan?
Thanks
C2
8/4/2016 11:38am
At what point was it that your guys realized that you could make a living out of selling bikes?
After about 10 years we made some pedals and hardtails. That was about when we got a paycheck for the first time.
C2
8/4/2016 11:49am
I look at the riot and see perfect geometry and an awesome suspension platform. How is the durability of the riot? Really considering this as my...
I look at the riot and see perfect geometry and an awesome suspension platform. How is the durability of the riot? Really considering this as my next bike.
The riot is built similar to any Aluminum All Mountain frame.
It not really built extra shout, but normal Canfield Brothers tough.

There seems to be a new trend where people are assuming that any Aluminum frame these days- is somehow burlier or tougher than their Carbon equivalent. Which is not the case. Aluminum or Carbon frames go through the same testing and are built as light as we dare. Of course Aluminum is tougher for sharp point impacts.

Whattheheel
8/4/2016 11:49am
Can you punch Gollub really, really hard in the leg and shout "Whattheheel rules!" while you do it? I love you long time?
C2
8/4/2016 11:56am
baldemar wrote:
What's the main difference between the 2014 and 2016 Balance? I have the 2014, but if the difference is substantial... do you have any upgrade program...
What's the main difference between the 2014 and 2016 Balance? I have the 2014, but if the difference is substantial... do you have any upgrade program for something like this?

Thanks!
The 2016 Balance-
The rear shortened from 425mm to 420mm.
and the BB lowered a touch- 13.75 down to 13.5"
And the headangle slacked out 1 degree to 65.
Reach lengthened .75" as well.
and the travel moved from 160- 165mm
Added a touch of progressiveness to the shock rate.

We do offer a upgrade program for existing customers.
Give us a call or email for details.

Post a reply to: Forum Hot Seat: Canfield Brothers

The Latest