FORUM HOTSEAT - Transition Bikes Crew

4/30/2020 1:09pm
TW80 wrote:
Dudes, Seriously, with the money I spent on a Patrol, WTF does the PAINT have more chips than a Doritos bag? What are you gonna do...
Dudes,

Seriously, with the money I spent on a Patrol, WTF does the PAINT have more chips than a Doritos bag? What are you gonna do about it?

If you are having some issues with your paint we recommend giving us a shout directly, warranty@transitionbikes.com, we're always happy to take a look and see what we can do to help out. --Sam
djseeds
4/30/2020 1:14pm
Skidz wrote:
If you could remove one entity (person, company, place, aspect) of the bike industry, what would it be?

The Canadian border is pretty annoying when you are trying to get to Whistler/North Shore/Squamish super fast!
Slotown wrote:
In 2015, the same day I bought my first Klunker, I have two now, from you guys before you moved to Bellingham I was crossing at...
In 2015, the same day I bought my first Klunker, I have two now, from you guys before you moved to Bellingham I was crossing at the Peace Arch with the bike still in the box and got pulled into the Canadian side to ask if I was selling it to someone up there. It is still the one and only time I have been hassled going into Canada and I cross a lot. Crossing back home to the US is a whole different story.

Love my Nexus pass though...

My question is, do you have any “left over” decals for the Klunkers or do you sell them? I am thinking I might repaint my white Klunker and would like to get some replacement decals if possible.

I will also join in and say please bring back the Klunk!

Thanks
Yeah border patrol aren't big fans of taking bikes across boxed...NEXUS is where it's at! We don't stock any bike decals, but if you email info@transitionbikes.com about which model you have I can send you the artwork and you can have most any sign/print shop make them.
ride
4/30/2020 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 1:14pm
Skidz wrote:
If you could remove one entity (person, company, place, aspect) of the bike industry, what would it be?

The Canadian border is pretty annoying when you are trying to get to Whistler/North Shore/Squamish super fast!
Slotown wrote:
In 2015, the same day I bought my first Klunker, I have two now, from you guys before you moved to Bellingham I was crossing at...
In 2015, the same day I bought my first Klunker, I have two now, from you guys before you moved to Bellingham I was crossing at the Peace Arch with the bike still in the box and got pulled into the Canadian side to ask if I was selling it to someone up there. It is still the one and only time I have been hassled going into Canada and I cross a lot. Crossing back home to the US is a whole different story.

My question is, do you have any “left over” decals for the Klunkers or do you sell them? I am thinking I might repaint my white Klunker and would like to get some replacement decals if possible.

Thanks
I don't believe we have anything klunker related left to my knowledge. We actually purchased a Klunker back from a customer in the end of Feb to use in the Klunker wheelie contest we did at our tent in Sedona!

- Lars
Herschel35
4/30/2020 1:15pm
Herschel35 wrote:
Is it safe to assume from you ignoring all of the “When are you releasing the new patrol?” questions that it is coming soon? If so...
Is it safe to assume from you ignoring all of the “When are you releasing the new patrol?” questions that it is coming soon? If so, I hope Chaz Bro’s next big moment will be in the release video, Like, #oncoil and stuff, bra!
Samsquatch wrote:
The Patrol has been a popular bike in our lineup since it was release and it isn't going away, but no new version is on the...
The Patrol has been a popular bike in our lineup since it was release and it isn't going away, but no new version is on the immediate horizon. --Sam
Sweet, look forward to seeing it.
lotsarocks
4/30/2020 1:15pm
TW80 wrote:
Dudes, Seriously, with the money I spent on a Patrol, WTF does the PAINT have more chips than a Doritos bag? What are you gonna do...
Dudes,

Seriously, with the money I spent on a Patrol, WTF does the PAINT have more chips than a Doritos bag? What are you gonna do about it?

Samsquatch wrote:
If you are having some issues with your paint we recommend giving us a shout directly, warranty@transitionbikes.com, we're always happy to take a look and see...
If you are having some issues with your paint we recommend giving us a shout directly, warranty@transitionbikes.com, we're always happy to take a look and see what we can do to help out. --Sam
Sam it's not a warranty issue, it really is a quality of paint issue. Or maybe application Error. Not positive. But the paint chips like the coating on peanut m&m's. I'm not looking for anything but a revision of what your using for paint. I've had many bikes and I have never seen any chip like this.
MDaubVT
4/30/2020 1:17pm
What are you thoughts on giving the new Scout the mullet treatment?
Slotown
4/30/2020 1:21pm
Slotown wrote:

Thanks
ride wrote:
I don't believe we have anything klunker related left to my knowledge. We actually purchased a Klunker back from a customer in the end of Feb...
I don't believe we have anything klunker related left to my knowledge. We actually purchased a Klunker back from a customer in the end of Feb to use in the Klunker wheelie contest we did at our tent in Sedona!

- Lars
I would love to see that video, that front end is not easy to get in the air. Haha
Slotown
4/30/2020 1:22pm
Slotown wrote:

Thanks
djseeds wrote:
Yeah border patrol aren't big fans of taking bikes across boxed...NEXUS is where it's at! We don't stock any bike decals, but if you email info@transitionbikes.com...
Yeah border patrol aren't big fans of taking bikes across boxed...NEXUS is where it's at! We don't stock any bike decals, but if you email info@transitionbikes.com about which model you have I can send you the artwork and you can have most any sign/print shop make them.
Thank you, email incoming...
ride
4/30/2020 1:24pm
JaredO wrote:
The new Sentinel is touted as versatile, playful and still big enough to get rowdy. Where does the Smuggler fit? It’s new bike year for me...
The new Sentinel is touted as versatile, playful and still big enough to get rowdy. Where does the Smuggler fit? It’s new bike year for me and I have important decisions to make!
The new Sentinel is all that and more! There are some awesome reviews out on it already that go into great detail that are worth researching. I'll be respectful and not post here on Vital...

It depends on the majority of the type of riding you plan to do. It's easy to overbike yourself for those few bike park trips a year and choose something that's not as ideal for your everyday riding. We see this all the time. Where do you live, and what is the type of riding you do the most? Start there.

The Smuggler is also a great bike, but less ideal on gnarlier terrain than the Sentinel. So if you do a lot of riding on mellower terrain that might be the better option.

I will add, that I've used the Sentinel for my everyday bike on all types of rides for the better part of 4 years.

- Lars
lotsarocks
4/30/2020 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 1:42pm
TW80 wrote:
Dudes,

Samsquatch wrote:
If you are having some issues with your paint we recommend giving us a shout directly, warranty@transitionbikes.com, we're always happy to take a look and see...
Sry Double post.
Do you guys have any tentative plans for east coast demos, obviously dependent on the pandemic.
4/30/2020 1:38pm
MDaubVT wrote:
What are you thoughts on giving the new Scout the mullet treatment?
It's definitely not designed as a "mullet" bike but we don't discourage people from tinkering and experimenting. It won't void your warranty or anything. But some things to keep in mind... the wheel radius / axle height if the 29 wheel is already about 20mm higher to begin with, but shortening a fork by 20mm in travel doesn't account for the extra A-C distance of a 29 fork compared to a 27.5 fork. So you will still end up with a lot higher front end, a higher BB and a slacker head tube and seat tube angle unless you drop the fork travel a whole bunch. --Sam
theweaz
4/30/2020 1:38pm
Have you guys changed your carbon layup since 2016?

I had a 2016 patrol and went through 3 chainstays in one summer, got a warranty on the first two and then stopped getting responses, had to have the shop order me one which meant paying for it, bike was fun but I had to sell it due to being the least durable bike I’ve ever owned, I even changed out the main pivot bearings each time I changed the chainstay.

I will say the bottle rocket I had for a bit and the pbj I had for awhile both withstood the test of time a lot better than that patrol did.
FilipK
4/30/2020 1:47pm
What drove you to change styling so dramatically with scout and sentinel 2.0?
4/30/2020 1:47pm
Hey Team! Curious for those who ride Sentinel's (the original) how you change it up, or if you change it up, when going to Whistler? Do...
Hey Team! Curious for those who ride Sentinel's (the original) how you change it up, or if you change it up, when going to Whistler? Do you switch to coil? Or just leave it as you ride it everywhere else?
djseeds wrote:
Hey Steve, generally for a day at the park I would just switch up to heavier casing tires or full DH rubber ideally. Depends if your...
Hey Steve, generally for a day at the park I would just switch up to heavier casing tires or full DH rubber ideally. Depends if your just sessioning A-Line all day or hitting RDS on changing your suspension....
good stuff, thanks! Honestly didn't think about tires but now in hindsight, that is super smart. I'm still working on clearing everything on A-line so I do hit it a couple times when I get there but try to hit a bit of everything.
BRANTLEYB
4/30/2020 1:49pm
any specific reason the Large sentinels went straight to preorder?
4/30/2020 1:50pm
theweaz wrote:
Have you guys changed your carbon layup since 2016? I had a 2016 patrol and went through 3 chainstays in one summer, got a warranty on...

I had a 2016 patrol and went through 3 chainstays in one summer, got a warranty on the first two and then stopped getting responses, had to have the shop order me one which meant paying for it, bike was fun but I had to sell it due to being the least durable bike I’ve ever owned, I even changed out the main pivot bearings each time I changed the chainstay.

I will say the bottle rocket I had for a bit and the pbj I had for awhile both withstood the test of time a lot better than that patrol did.
First of all... something must have slipped through the cracks, because we never want to leave anyone hanging. I'm sorry if you did't get taken care of at the time, but send us a message again if there is anything we can do for you now. We happen to be using an entirely different carbon facility since the frame you owned. But even within one bike model coming out of the same exact tooling, we will adjust process and layup over time to attempt to address issues we see out in the real world. Nothing is completely static. --Sam
lotsarocks
4/30/2020 1:52pm
theweaz wrote:
Have you guys changed your carbon layup since 2016? I had a 2016 patrol and went through 3 chainstays in one summer, got a warranty on...

Samsquatch wrote:
First of all... something must have slipped through the cracks, because we never want to leave anyone hanging. I'm sorry if you did't get taken care...
First of all... something must have slipped through the cracks, because we never want to leave anyone hanging. I'm sorry if you did't get taken care of at the time, but send us a message again if there is anything we can do for you now. We happen to be using an entirely different carbon facility since the frame you owned. But even within one bike model coming out of the same exact tooling, we will adjust process and layup over time to attempt to address issues we see out in the real world. Nothing is completely static. --Sam
That is what makes you guys awesome!!!
ride
4/30/2020 1:57pm
TW80 wrote:
Dudes,

Samsquatch wrote:
lotsarocks wrote:
Sry Double post.
Do you guys have any tentative plans for east coast demos, obviously dependent on the pandemic.
We had a full summer of east coast demos planned, but everything is currently on hold. Time will tell!

- Lars
theweaz
4/30/2020 2:00pm
theweaz wrote:

Samsquatch wrote:
First of all... something must have slipped through the cracks, because we never want to leave anyone hanging. I'm sorry if you did't get taken care...
Unfortunately I no longer own the bike and I have moved most of the way across the US at this point so there not much to be done and I don’t know who owns that bike at this point. Good to know things have changed and I’m glad that my experience was some kind of anomaly, new bikes are looking good!
FilipK
4/30/2020 2:03pm
Looking for and suspension advice.

I own 2019 Scout GX. Rear-end often feels a bit dead, (the usual doesn't feel supple off the top, but also doesn't seem to have support for bunnyhops and pumping) I don't think I can handle the rebound any faster, and I run low sag to mitigate the latter issue.

Is this a common pattern with the bike/customers, and are there any ways to improve its performance?
EG popular shocks or shock parts or shock tunning within your tester's friends and employees on this bike?

Other than this nag, I'm in love with the bike and I'm very happy I've put my money into this one. It's beautiful, unique, and it has an incredibly rewarding ride when pushed hard and ridden right. Thanks!
Maybee way too cramped ISCG mounts and scarce rubber protection are only other niggles, but you seem to fix that with a new gen.
sspomer
4/30/2020 2:05pm

Holy cow, you all crushed it!! So many good questions and answers. Thanks Transition crew, thanks Vital members!

This Forum Hotseat is officially closed, but you can still post questions and maybe, if we're lucky, between PBR-Bottlerocket ride sessions, the crew can respond from time to time.

Nice work! We're all stoked.

4/30/2020 2:11pm
Is there a new Ripcord in the works? It's the oldest bike in the line now and my daughter is about to get into 24" wheels... It would be nice to see an SBG version, or least a better/more appropriate suspension like a 145mm Manitou J-Unit that wouldn't really effect the geometry and a link that could use a 165×45 mm trunnion shock for more travel, ~120mm (providing there's clearance) to balance the travel better.
jnroyal
4/30/2020 2:11pm
I don't have any questions but wanted to send out a big thank you for making great bikes and keeping the fun in the bike industry.

I've got an old Bandit 29 that I love dearly and it just keeps on ticking. Even did a 100+ mile race on it a few years ago.

I just ordered a Patrol frame that should be here in NC next week. Stoked!

John in NC
tpeter
4/30/2020 2:28pm
Been loving your bikes for years now, have a 2015 Patrol, 2015 TransAm, and a 2018 Smuggler - that being said, the new Scout has about eclipsed the old Patrol measurements, and every bike is getting bigger and bigger. My only critique with the newest geometries is similar to what Bike Mag said: that your designs are outpacing the skills of many riders. I've been looking for a mid-travel 27.5 trail bike, something like 130/140ish, basically the old Scout but with a hair more travel and SBG. Any chance you guys have a new model on the horizon to fill that gap in your lineup?

I love my Smuggler, but it only wants to be ridden one speed, and that's Mach 5. Sometimes I just want to cruise and be lazy with line choice, and the Smuggler definitely doesn't like that. I and others I've spoken to who have the same gen model have noticed that the rear end tends to get hung up on stuff at times, both climbing and descending. Don't know if it's related to wheelbase or axle path through the travel, but just thought I'd relate that since we have your ear.

Don't take this as a bunch of complaints, I love your company, love your bikes, and love that you actually reach out to your customers like this and take our suggestions to heart. I do second an above question: any more steel hardtails in your future??
JaredO
4/30/2020 2:52pm
JaredO wrote:
The new Sentinel is touted as versatile, playful and still big enough to get rowdy. Where does the Smuggler fit? It’s new bike year for me...
The new Sentinel is touted as versatile, playful and still big enough to get rowdy. Where does the Smuggler fit? It’s new bike year for me and I have important decisions to make!
ride wrote:
The new Sentinel is all that and more! There are some awesome reviews out on it already that go into great detail that are worth researching...
The new Sentinel is all that and more! There are some awesome reviews out on it already that go into great detail that are worth researching. I'll be respectful and not post here on Vital...

It depends on the majority of the type of riding you plan to do. It's easy to overbike yourself for those few bike park trips a year and choose something that's not as ideal for your everyday riding. We see this all the time. Where do you live, and what is the type of riding you do the most? Start there.

The Smuggler is also a great bike, but less ideal on gnarlier terrain than the Sentinel. So if you do a lot of riding on mellower terrain that might be the better option.

I will add, that I've used the Sentinel for my everyday bike on all types of rides for the better part of 4 years.

- Lars
I’ll be blunt... Can we also be expecting a revised Smuggler?
hbelly13
5/1/2020 6:59am
Two things: First, the old Sentinel was the only "long travel" 29er (I've ridden pretty much all of them over the last four years) that I would have considered replacing my Evil Wreckoning with. It's only minor downside (which is a factor of most Horst-link bikes) was that it would blow through it's travel. This was actually not that bad as up until riding the Sentinel and more recent bikes from Specialized I did not care for Horst-link suspension bikes. It would make sense that either A. modifying the air shock with more tokens (or whatever) or B. as I have with my DHX2 add a progressive spring (MRP) would solve that. Have you employed these or do you recommend them to heavier/more aggressive riders? Second, will you ever release a black bike again? :D
5/1/2020 7:58am
Damn... bummed I missed this... Been a fan of these guys for a long time... I remember Kyle juggling credit cards to get forks ordered... So rad to see how far this have come over the years! Keep the party going!
fitek
5/1/2020 10:26am
tpeter wrote:
Been loving your bikes for years now, have a 2015 Patrol, 2015 TransAm, and a 2018 Smuggler - that being said, the new Scout has about...
Been loving your bikes for years now, have a 2015 Patrol, 2015 TransAm, and a 2018 Smuggler - that being said, the new Scout has about eclipsed the old Patrol measurements, and every bike is getting bigger and bigger. My only critique with the newest geometries is similar to what Bike Mag said: that your designs are outpacing the skills of many riders. I've been looking for a mid-travel 27.5 trail bike, something like 130/140ish, basically the old Scout but with a hair more travel and SBG. Any chance you guys have a new model on the horizon to fill that gap in your lineup?

I love my Smuggler, but it only wants to be ridden one speed, and that's Mach 5. Sometimes I just want to cruise and be lazy with line choice, and the Smuggler definitely doesn't like that. I and others I've spoken to who have the same gen model have noticed that the rear end tends to get hung up on stuff at times, both climbing and descending. Don't know if it's related to wheelbase or axle path through the travel, but just thought I'd relate that since we have your ear.

Don't take this as a bunch of complaints, I love your company, love your bikes, and love that you actually reach out to your customers like this and take our suggestions to heart. I do second an above question: any more steel hardtails in your future??
I've owned every generation of the Scout and find the latest feels livelier than the '18/'19, despite the added travel. The '15 was definitely a different animal though.
F-Bomb
5/2/2020 3:15am
Hey Team! Curious for those who ride Sentinel's (the original) how you change it up, or if you change it up, when going to Whistler? Do...
Hey Team! Curious for those who ride Sentinel's (the original) how you change it up, or if you change it up, when going to Whistler? Do you switch to coil? Or just leave it as you ride it everywhere else?
djseeds wrote:
Hey Steve, generally for a day at the park I would just switch up to heavier casing tires or full DH rubber ideally. Depends if your...
Hey Steve, generally for a day at the park I would just switch up to heavier casing tires or full DH rubber ideally. Depends if your just sessioning A-Line all day or hitting RDS on changing your suspension....
good stuff, thanks! Honestly didn't think about tires but now in hindsight, that is super smart. I'm still working on clearing everything on A-line so I...
good stuff, thanks! Honestly didn't think about tires but now in hindsight, that is super smart. I'm still working on clearing everything on A-line so I do hit it a couple times when I get there but try to hit a bit of everything.
I have a second wheelset with Cushcore inserts and DH tires. I find it a practical, confidence-inspiring solution for those shuttle-assisted days.

Post a reply to: FORUM HOTSEAT - Transition Bikes Crew

The Latest