No-pedal Shifting - Easy Shift from HXR Components

970biking
Edited Date/Time 12/28/2015 11:47am
Would you ride it? A novel approach to pedal-less shifting:
|
toddtoth
12/23/2015 1:28pm
Yeah, I don't know. What's the point of needing to shift if you're not pedaling? Plus the chain is moving all the time now. That's more chain/cog wear for an upside that I'm missing.
12/23/2015 1:53pm
I could see this being a pro for downhillers that only have runs that are 4 min long and every split second counts, when charging through a rough section with a smooth section right after that requires petaling you could now change gears in the rough and petal right from the start with no fear change delay. For the regular trail rider though I see no gain.
megatryn
12/23/2015 2:00pm
Trials riders have had similar things for ages. I've played with the idea myself for a long time (since the 90's). I've always thought it would be nice to be able to shift while coasting, because it's not always one can shift while going downhill on a trailride through rough stuff and it would be nice to be able to preshift before an uphill instead of having to shift with weight on the pedals. Actually I think it would outweigh the wear on the spinning drivetrain by far. I mean; there's not much wear on a spinning drivetrain that hasn't got any weight on it.

The reason think it hasn't been viable before, is the simple fact that a drivetrain spinning with the wheel as the driveforce, would slacken the chain and make it derail. -Much the same as when backpadling. But, with todays clutched derailleurs, I actually think this might work.

So, yes, I would try this. Actually I'd like to try it on my downhill bike.
orion98
12/23/2015 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 2:21pm
that's pretty cool, cuz it would keep tension on the chain even while coasting.
sspomer
12/23/2015 3:07pm
i remember this from when i was a kid. same thing, eh?

12/23/2015 4:42pm
sspomer wrote:

Same idea but these systems also had a fixed rear cluster, which reminds me of the Honda RN-01 which then reminds me how much better it would be just to have a gearbox instead of this.
J1br0ni
12/23/2015 5:11pm
Wouldn't rear suspension be more active since the wheel movement wouldn't pull on the chain? Just think about how nice Gwinn said his suspension was when he broke his chain......
Big Bird
12/23/2015 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2015 8:10am
sspomer wrote:

I do not. They kept that gem hidden from me. Was that the first freecoaster? Or did it not work backwards?

MW
12/23/2015 10:20pm
So you could run the rear as some sort of spin-on fixie? Seems it would reduce unsprung weight and allow for a stronger freewheel and wheel. You could have larger bearings in the rear and you would not need to make the freewheel so micro for the front ring. Could be a winner. But It could go bad real fast if chain suck or a mis shift happened with a fixed rear though. That and them dam moving chains are known to take fingers off when lubing them up :-(
JLutzy
12/24/2015 2:40am
I love the idea. I quite often shift gears without pedalling in anticipation of what's Next so that I'm not just spinning or standing up trying to stamp down on heavy pedals out of a corner, rocky section or off a drop.
SBRDUDE1
12/24/2015 6:33pm
Seems like a solution for a nonexistent problem and as others have already stated will create more wear on the drive train.
dodgysam
12/24/2015 10:57pm
I think it sounds like a great idea.
Im forever shifting in anticipation on my Zerode and I am always doing it without thinking on my AM bike...but then comes the inevitable clunking of deraileur and chain while you wait for it to select a gear.
Coaster shifting is great.

Id still prefer more gearbox bikes...deraileurs are the devil!
12/25/2015 12:46am
Shifting while coasting is a good thing agreed but I dont know about doing it like this though. I've thought about the same solution but having a constant spinning chain seems like it could be a problem.

If its reasonably priced I would def try it out
12/27/2015 6:27pm
Well the Truvativ hammerschmit did the same thing and you could shift without pedaling but it the idea of it was quickly thrown out by most people.
dodgysam
12/27/2015 7:55pm
Aaron_Hill wrote:
Well the Truvativ hammerschmit did the same thing and you could shift without pedaling but it the idea of it was quickly thrown out by most...
Well the Truvativ hammerschmit did the same thing and you could shift without pedaling but it the idea of it was quickly thrown out by most people.
I use Hammerschmidt on my AM bike and its awesome...just a bit noisy.
12/27/2015 8:02pm
I loved the idea of it. Most companies didn't face the bottom bracket shell when they installed it and it made a few problems for some people and it was a little heavier.

Post a reply to: No-pedal Shifting - Easy Shift from HXR Components

The Latest