Edited: Road Bike with Electric Motor Hub Catches Fire in Australia

Related:
sspomer
Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 11:59am
During a ride up Corkscrew Road near Adelaide, Australia, the electric bike of 79-year-old Gary Ryan burst into flames. Thankfully, Ryan jumped off the bike safely as he and his friends watched the bike burn with flames that witnesses say reached nearly 10 feet in height. Because there were CO2 inflaters in Ryan's tool kit, getting near the burning bike was too dangerous for fear of explosion. The burning bike almost started a brush fire but local fire crews happened to be nearby fighting another fire and were able to contain and extinguish the blaze.

A call to the shop that built Ryan the bike indicated there must have been a short in the system to start the fire as Ryan was told "that doesn't happen."

Watch the video with interviews here

|
Greenedog
1/15/2019 7:50am
Only a guessing here. In the news video clip it looks like where they were was on a steep hill. My guess is the E-Bike assist system over heated in the Aussie summer and prolonged climb. Not a short.
1/15/2019 9:22am
Not really an "e-bike". A road bike modified with a sketchy e-bike aftermarket wheel.
Yes, likely an overheat in high temps, sun, getting worked on the steep climb.
1/15/2019 11:22am
I wouldnt call that an ebike persay, it looks like a pinarello F8 carbon regular/acoustic bike, but he put some hack wheel motor system on it.
1/15/2019 11:47am
Not really an "e-bike". A road bike modified with a sketchy e-bike aftermarket wheel. Yes, likely an overheat in high temps, sun, getting worked on the...
Not really an "e-bike". A road bike modified with a sketchy e-bike aftermarket wheel.
Yes, likely an overheat in high temps, sun, getting worked on the steep climb.
Looks like this to me... https://lunacycle.com/double-gear-double-torque-motor/

Lots of those out in the marketplace.
sspomer
1/15/2019 12:00pm
i tweaked the title accordingly
Scrub
1/15/2019 5:12pm
The rider can pick up a new nickname now, Hot Pants, Fire Crotch, Burning man....

JamesR_2026
1/15/2019 6:13pm
There's a crazy heat wave in Adelaide at the moment and it has been around 40 degrees Celsius the last few days. (104 for you Americans).
I wouldn't be surprised if the thing just overheated and flamed up!

Post a reply to: Edited: Road Bike with Electric Motor Hub Catches Fire in Australia

The Latest