Best Colorado Bike Parks

dyermaker41
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 8:22am
I live in Salt Lake and have wanted to do a road trip to Colorado to visit some of the great bike parks in your state. I want to ask if anyone has any recommendations of which parks I should visit. I have four days in August that I can do it and want to hit the best bike parks I can but also have the most fun. I was thinking of leaving Salt Lake early in the morning, riding Steamboat in the afternoon, spend two days at Winter Park and on the fourth day ride Keystone or Snowmass. Is there anywhere else that I should be going? Any help you can give would be appreciated.
|
7/13/2014 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2014 4:01pm
Your plan sounds fun. Part of what comes into play is which day of the week you are starting.

Steamboat closes down at 4pm Sat-Tues and 7pm on Wed-Fri so your idea of starting early is good. The day at steamboat might be short but that's fine as there are only a couple of trails anyway. I had fun doing flying diamond>rawhide>wrangler>buckin>bull all day.

Two days at Trestle should be fun. Plenty of trails to explore and get dialed. It can get a bit zooy on the weekends. You might need a half of a rest day on day 3 to prep for Keystone since that place will be more physically demanding than the others.

You'd be missing out if you don't go to Keystone. I definitely wouldn't waste time on Snowmass unless you are absolutely whooped from the first few days and want to ride a single, smooth flow trail over and over.

An alternate option not listed is Crested Butte's Evolution bike park. It is a bit out of the way from everything but the trails are fun and they've been putting in a lot of work to add trails recently. It's worth checking out if you want to swap out one of the days at Winter Park or if you can add another day to your bike vacation.
7/14/2014 5:01am
Speaking as a local here in Steamboat, there is certainly a strong case to be made for making a stop here. If you want to get a little info about the bike park before you come, here's a link (no aff.) ~ http://bike.steamboat.com/index.aspx

Note that the Enduro-X Race is happening in Steamboat from Aug 16-17 so many of the better trails/park will be closed to the public those days. If you're looking to ride the Bike Park and most of the trails @SaddleRags mentioned, you'll want to come before or after this event.

Looks like you can find info on Trestle here: http://trestlebikepark.com/

7/15/2014 1:36pm
dude u have to go to winter park all 4 days. it is the most fun and it has everything any other colorado bike park has. its by far the best.
bturman
7/15/2014 2:15pm
dude u have to go to winter park all 4 days. it is the most fun and it has everything any other colorado bike park has...
dude u have to go to winter park all 4 days. it is the most fun and it has everything any other colorado bike park has. its by far the best.
WP is fun, yes, but it lacks the full-on raw terrain of some other Colorado destinations. Many find that a trail/AM/Enduro bike is plenty for Winter Park, and that a DH rig is overkill. Depends on what you're looking for in a bike park I suppose.
kidwoo
7/15/2014 3:32pm
I had fun at keystone and vail.

Sol vista was fun back when the right people were running it. That trail listing is pathetic. Are they abandoning the dh crowd as a business decision?
7/15/2014 3:38pm
bturman wrote:
WP is fun, yes, but it lacks the full-on raw terrain of some other Colorado destinations. Many find that a trail/AM/Enduro bike is plenty for Winter...
WP is fun, yes, but it lacks the full-on raw terrain of some other Colorado destinations. Many find that a trail/AM/Enduro bike is plenty for Winter Park, and that a DH rig is overkill. Depends on what you're looking for in a bike park I suppose.
This ^. I would recommend one day at as many bike parks as possible vs multiple days at one place. Keystone, Steamboat, Trestle/Winter Park, Crested Butte, etc are all fun.
dyermaker41
7/15/2014 8:15pm
Thanks for the advice. I plan on hitting at least Steamboat, Winter Park, Keystone, and maybe Crested Butte if I am up for the additional driving. I am looking forward to a fun trip!
astrizzle
7/16/2014 7:57am
that sucks, about sol vista. It was always hard to pass by Trestle and drive another 40 min to wait in a longer line for a shorter run but now its not even a real option anymore....
sspomer
7/16/2014 8:11am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 8:14am
astrizzle wrote:
that sucks, about sol vista. It was always hard to pass by Trestle and drive another 40 min to wait in a longer line for a...
that sucks, about sol vista. It was always hard to pass by Trestle and drive another 40 min to wait in a longer line for a shorter run but now its not even a real option anymore....
40 mins? you drive slow hahaha. it's a shame the black runs at SV aren't open. it was fun there while it lasted!

watch the banana peel helmet video at trestle for some slopestyle stoke

before it was called banana peel, we made this preview vid last year, too

Hot Wheels Slopestyle Trail at Trestle Bike Park - More Mountain Bike Videos

Post a reply to: Best Colorado Bike Parks

The Latest