Am I getting ripped off?

Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 11:58am
Hi vital. Sorry if this kind of post clogs up the board, but didn’t see any rules regarding it so I figured it’d be okay to post it.

I’ve been looking for a trail bike for my mother, she’s been borrowing my trail bike on occasion and it doesn’t really suit her. Been looking for a while and found this, going to test ride it tomorrow.

It’s a Scott Genius MC-30, seller says it’s a 2009 but I’d guess it’s closer to a 2005. They’re asking $750, and agreed to come down to $500. I’ve spent a fair amount of time trying to find information online relating to its value, but to no avail. Figured this would be the best place to ask!
Everything on the bike is in good working order, as stated in the listing description. Here’s a picture - can provide more.

Also, are the forks messed up? They appear to have almost no travel whatsoever. In all the other pictures I’ve seen of this bike on the internet, the forks appear to have much more travel. Not sure if they’ve been adjusted, need to be pumped up or if they’re just straight up broken.
|
spoon_
11/25/2020 3:39am
Yes. or covid tax struck hard
11/25/2020 3:41am
Don’t dive your mother that... what did she do to you to deserve that kind of crap? For 1000$ u can get some way better bikes which are about 10 years younger and have better components. Don’t give her this crappy death trap
Scrub
11/25/2020 8:30am
You are not getting "ripped off". You are just not shopping smart. There is a steep "covid tax" on used bikes right now, I'd look for a new/er bike with current geo and bigger wheels.
11/25/2020 8:40am
Don’t dive your mother that... what did she do to you to deserve that kind of crap? For 1000$ u can get some way better bikes...
Don’t dive your mother that... what did she do to you to deserve that kind of crap? For 1000$ u can get some way better bikes which are about 10 years younger and have better components. Don’t give her this crappy death trap
Lol, didn’t realize this was that bad of a bike haha. Appreciate it
11/25/2020 8:43am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 9:29am
Scrub wrote:
You are not getting "ripped off". You are just not shopping smart. There is a steep "covid tax" on used bikes right now, I'd look for...
You are not getting "ripped off". You are just not shopping smart. There is a steep "covid tax" on used bikes right now, I'd look for a new/er bike with current geo and bigger wheels.
Yup yup, thank you! I’m not really up to date on what bikes are worth, and the lowered price still seemed steep so that’s why I asked here. Definitely didn’t realize there was that much of a covid tax on bikes, but it makes sense. I’ll take my time looking for the right bike.
MOTO13
11/25/2020 11:58am
$750 for a bike that was what...$1200 new 15 years ago? I'd respectfully decline that bike for anything over $200. Besides, if you REALLY want to give your mom a great bike, make sure it has a Bosch cx motor attached to it.

Post a reply to: Am I getting ripped off?

The Latest