360 Degree Photos from Crankworx Teva Best Trick 2011

bturman
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 12:03pm
The images below are all full 360 degree spherical images, which you can look all around (including up and down), by clicking and dragging with your mouse to navigate. Get an idea of what it was like (if you weren't there), or to relive the experience.

All photography and production by John Housser

At The Start

Darren Berrecloth and Jamie Goldman sit in the start area for the first feature of the Teva Best Trick Challenge

Above Trick Jump

Sam Pilgrim Tail Whips the first feature in the Teva Best Trick challenge.

Below Trick Jump

Anthony Messere Flip-Whips the first jump in the Teva Best Trick challenge.

Inside Second Start

Kyle Straight dropping into the second feature of the Teva Best Trick challenge

Outside Second Start

Yannick Graniere dropping into the second feature of the Teva Best Trick challenge

Final Jump

Jamie Goldman Tail Whips the second feature of the Teva Best Trick challenge
|
MattPatt
8/12/2011 1:12pm
Stunning images! Would love to know more about the camera gear used and the process to create these... I wonder how far out video like this is?
bturman
8/12/2011 1:21pm
MattPatt wrote:
Stunning images! Would love to know more about the camera gear used and the process to create these... I wonder how far out video like this...
Stunning images! Would love to know more about the camera gear used and the process to create these... I wonder how far out video like this is?
Already been done!

MattPatt
8/12/2011 1:35pm
Haha! Sweet. Thanks Brandon. This seems like the tip of the iceberg to me, the possibilities are so great when technology like virtual reality headsets or caves become available. Looking through a 2D rectangular portal (my monitor) is reducing the level of immersion...
I'm imagining a golf ball sized device on top of a helmet recording this stuff in HD (or better) quality with full surround sound. And then a 3D display combined with head/eye tracking that determines what you see.

You could get a sense of what it's like to be on a World Cup winning run with Gwin, or in the Whip Worlds train with between Brendawg and Elliot Jackson. Now we're talking! Smile
housser
8/12/2011 4:05pm
360 video is totally doable, the issues holding it back from mainstream and internet are bandwidth (the resolution of my images are roughly 4096x2048, so that, at 30fps, is a lot of data), and processing (your computer has to do the math to warp the image in the player to give you simulated perspective).

And some of the tools to make capturing full images (iPhone stitching software, mini-panoramic mirror lenses) is going to make panoramic snapshots much more accessible.

I've got a few more sets from the pumptrack, giant slalom, and slopestyle that are on the way!

Post a reply to: 360 Degree Photos from Crankworx Teva Best Trick 2011

The Latest