2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

dsmdan18
8/25/2020 11:45am
bizutch wrote:
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will. But sort of ironic...
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will.

But sort of ironic that the country whose riders had a reputation for scrounging their way around the planet on pennies to recklessly skate by, letting it all hang out & put everything on the line for the sake of hitting it big racing and dominate every country's best riders while on almost no budget has become the primary country to have riders stay home and take the low risk, financially conservative and cautious option.

Are the Aussies & Kiwis opting in still?

Worry about things that you can control. Find a risk mitigation for the ones you can’t. Connor is doing both.
8/25/2020 2:19pm
Pedal4life wrote:
Hopefully there’s a even bigger story behind this move of Mr Marsh
Maybe he was just over with travelling and looked somewhere else. The syndicate seems to travel a lot for testing. Just speculating here.
On a side note, can the Mods put this thread in the fixed threads cayegory alongside the tech and innovation one?
casey79
8/25/2020 3:53pm
bizutch wrote:
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will. But sort of ironic...
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will.

But sort of ironic that the country whose riders had a reputation for scrounging their way around the planet on pennies to recklessly skate by, letting it all hang out & put everything on the line for the sake of hitting it big racing and dominate every country's best riders while on almost no budget has become the primary country to have riders stay home and take the low risk, financially conservative and cautious option.

Currently Australian citizens or permanent residents you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption.

Travel insurance is hard to secure.

The numbers of returning citizens have been capped, there are very limited flights currently available to and from Australia and many people have not be able to travel back to Australia due to the limited flights.

Returning travelers have been bumped off flights at the last min and the only real way of more confidently securing a seat is booking a 1st or business class ticket.

Once returned all travelers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens, must quarantine for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel in their port of arrival.​ This is at the travelers cost and currently sits at around $3000.

Not that simple anymore.
metadave
8/25/2020 6:36pm
bizutch wrote:

casey79 wrote:
Currently Australian citizens or permanent residents you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. Travel insurance is hard to secure. The...
Currently Australian citizens or permanent residents you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption.

The numbers of returning citizens have been capped, there are very limited flights currently available to and from Australia and many people have not be able to travel back to Australia due to the limited flights.

Returning travelers have been bumped off flights at the last min and the only real way of more confidently securing a seat is booking a 1st or business class ticket.

Once returned all travelers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens, must quarantine for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel in their port of arrival.​ This is at the travelers cost and currently sits at around $3000.

Not that simple anymore.
Yea that doesn't sound worth it at all. Do some media projects for the season, local races and train.

Is Troy racing? I haven't heard anything about him yet.
bizutch
8/25/2020 6:49pm
I would assume that if you can get into Europe, you're single or have a family/friend/couch to hover on between and after events, the obvious route would be for riders to "winter" in the U.S. until they can secure convenient & reasonable transport back to Australia.
Could also see where the timing of work visas could be the big hurdle. Or would they be better off waiting out the trips back to Australia in a Crown region country like Canada or the UK to avoid passport & VISA hassles?
luisgutrod
8/25/2020 10:00pm
bizutch wrote:
I would assume that if you can get into Europe, you're single or have a family/friend/couch to hover on between and after events, the obvious route...
I would assume that if you can get into Europe, you're single or have a family/friend/couch to hover on between and after events, the obvious route would be for riders to "winter" in the U.S. until they can secure convenient & reasonable transport back to Australia.
Could also see where the timing of work visas could be the big hurdle. Or would they be better off waiting out the trips back to Australia in a Crown region country like Canada or the UK to avoid passport & VISA hassles?
I saw Jack Moir here in Zermatt.. Some aussies did leave..
metadave
8/26/2020 1:48am
bizutch wrote:
I would assume that if you can get into Europe, you're single or have a family/friend/couch to hover on between and after events, the obvious route...
luisgutrod wrote:
I saw Jack Moir here in Zermatt.. Some aussies did leave..
I feel like Jack is one of the younger fast and loose racers still. I'm sure he can find a room or van and rock it for the winter. As well narrowly not having a team this year may be pushing him to push his worth to Canyon for giving him the last minute shot. I'm stoked AF to see what he can do this year away from the Gwin-tense team that seemed to crush his spirit a bit last year.
8/26/2020 8:11am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 8:24am
casey79 wrote:
Currently Australian citizens or permanent residents you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. Travel insurance is hard to secure. The...

Not that simple anymore.
And, factor in travel restrictions other countries may have.. A out the only way it makes sense is any Aussie racer has to be willing to be away from home for the race season.. That's a lot for some people...

Just the two weeks of quarantine costing 3000 every race would be enough to make me pass on the season...
metadave
8/27/2020 9:24am
Ouch, that's a hard one. Hopefully she makes a full recovery quickly.
metadave
8/31/2020 3:26pm
Damn, poor Marine, it sounds terrible. A friend I used to work with had it in march. She's 29, super healthy, no previous respiratory issues. West coast surfer/climber girl who was finishing up law school with honors. 6 months later and shes still dealing with issues and says it feels like shes breathing with a weight on her chest all the time. Scary shit, sure you'll likely be fine, and the chances of dying is low, but there's also ending up with a debilitating respiratory issue for life.
Primoz
8/31/2020 9:50pm
What the hell are you talking about, it's just a cold!!

/s
krabo83
9/2/2020 1:24am
Primoz wrote:
What the hell are you talking about, it's just a cold!!

/s
some just don‘t get sarcasm Laughing
metadave
9/20/2020 11:51pm
So, since we usually start 2021 Rumors about this time.......

Without a solid 2020 race series will most teams extend current contacts or will people be on the hunt for 2021
Eoin
9/21/2020 1:08am
metadave wrote:
So, since we usually start 2021 Rumors about this time....... Without a solid 2020 race series will most teams extend current contacts or will people be...

Without a solid 2020 race series will most teams extend current contacts or will people be on the hunt for 2021
Just realised this, the silver lining of 2020 is that we can go from 2020 team rumours straight to 2021 team rumours without having to bother with any of the racing! Amazing!
Primoz
9/21/2020 1:40am
Or we drop the year from the title here too and just talk about rumors and be done with different threads? 🙂
9/25/2020 8:45am
metadave wrote:
So, since we usually start 2021 Rumors about this time....... Without a solid 2020 race series will most teams extend current contacts or will people be...

Eoin wrote:
Just realised this, the silver lining of 2020 is that we can go from 2020 team rumours straight to 2021 team rumours without having to bother...
Just realised this, the silver lining of 2020 is that we can go from 2020 team rumours straight to 2021 team rumours without having to bother with any of the racing! Amazing!
It’s the best time of my Forum year, I pretty much come here 29 time a day after world champs and then about once every 29 days once the season starts!
9/25/2020 11:25am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 11:25am
Well this is more than a rumor, but still relevant...here is what all the forthcoming team rumoring will be about:

2021 UCI Calendar Announced

Only 6 rounds, and the shocker: no MSA!
rockchomper
9/25/2020 11:48am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 11:51am
I wonder if no MSA has something to do with the mistakes that were made in getting Brook (Bulldog) off the hill last year? Maybe they violated the UCI venue rules by not having certain medical criteria in place to proper get a downed rider to the hospital? if I remember right Brook laid on that hill for a few hours!! Maybe they lost they're Venue privilege because of that incident?
ardor
9/25/2020 12:05pm
I wonder if no MSA has something to do with the mistakes that were made in getting Brook (Bulldog) off the hill last year? Maybe they...
I wonder if no MSA has something to do with the mistakes that were made in getting Brook (Bulldog) off the hill last year? Maybe they violated the UCI venue rules by not having certain medical criteria in place to proper get a downed rider to the hospital? if I remember right Brook laid on that hill for a few hours!! Maybe they lost they're Venue privilege because of that incident?
It's possible, for sure, but the backlash from fans could also have left MSA frustrated and they pulled out. It sucks though, despite the issues, the track is unreal to watch and has been a favourite since the early 2000s for me. Seeing and shooting it last year only made me more of a fan (of the track).

I wonder if they'll return after a brief hiatus?
mfoga
9/25/2020 2:32pm
iceman2058 wrote:
Well this is more than a rumor, but still relevant...here is what all the forthcoming team rumoring will be about: [url=https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/The-UCI-Awards-11-UCI-World-Championships-and-Approves-the-2021-UCI-International-Calendars,4009]2021 UCI Calendar Announced[/url] Only 6...
Well this is more than a rumor, but still relevant...here is what all the forthcoming team rumoring will be about:

2021 UCI Calendar Announced

Only 6 rounds, and the shocker: no MSA!
Based on what we saw this year it is kind of a rumor.
mfoga
9/25/2020 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 2:41pm
I wonder if no MSA has something to do with the mistakes that were made in getting Brook (Bulldog) off the hill last year? Maybe they...
ardor wrote:
It's possible, for sure, but the backlash from fans could also have left MSA frustrated and they pulled out. It sucks though, despite the issues, the...
It's possible, for sure, but the backlash from fans could also have left MSA frustrated and they pulled out. It sucks though, despite the issues, the track is unreal to watch and has been a favourite since the early 2000s for me. Seeing and shooting it last year only made me more of a fan (of the track).

Could be they don't want to spend the money. I would assume they were hit pretty hard finically with lose of part of ski season and I would guess a lot of the summer season. Did they get the money back from this years race that never happened?

Apparently the gondola is also down with a major issue since the ski season.
Masjo
9/26/2020 7:34am
ardor wrote:
It's possible, for sure, but the backlash from fans could also have left MSA frustrated and they pulled out. It sucks though, despite the issues, the...

mfoga wrote:
Could be they don't want to spend the money. I would assume they were hit pretty hard finically with lose of part of ski season and...
Could be they don't want to spend the money. I would assume they were hit pretty hard finically with lose of part of ski season and I would guess a lot of the summer season. Did they get the money back from this years race that never happened?

Quebec and specifically Montreal are not doing so hot with covid right now and projections are for a pretty terrible fall/winter unless things turn around quickly. I don't live in Quebec, but I'm also pretty sure there has been a ban on large gatherings for sports in the province so that could have also caused an issue.
metadave
9/26/2020 8:41am
ardor wrote:

mfoga wrote:
Could be they don't want to spend the money. I would assume they were hit pretty hard finically with lose of part of ski season and...

Masjo wrote:
Quebec and specifically Montreal are not doing so hot with covid right now and projections are for a pretty terrible fall/winter unless things turn around quickly...
Quebec and specifically Montreal are not doing so hot with covid right now and projections are for a pretty terrible fall/winter unless things turn around quickly. I don't live in Quebec, but I'm also pretty sure there has been a ban on large gatherings for sports in the province so that could have also caused an issue.
Exactly. Hard to plan and throw money at a race if it's a maybe.

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest