2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

bizutch
8/26/2019 6:24am
sharpy212 wrote:
God, the bickering has already started and we are only on page 2!! Palmer has already done the jeans after his fall out with Fox, nothing...
God, the bickering has already started and we are only on page 2!!

Palmer has already done the jeans after his fall out with Fox, nothing new there...

Already a lot of people’s own thoughts and speculation..

Let’s keep it purely facts, back it up with proof..

Palmer did one race in jeans...I would know, I gave him my sharpie to mark them up with specialized logos, and he wore them to make...
Palmer did one race in jeans...I would know, I gave him my sharpie to mark them up with specialized logos, and he wore them to make a point, not because they were awesome. His point being; "one dude changed the whole game, and got everyone in moto pants, me".
Remember the East Coast Nationals with all the core kids racing in Jnco's & hockey jerseys, moto helmets, flat pedals, Doc Martin's on Spookys & just being foul mouthed top to bottom?
8/26/2019 7:16am
Palmer did one race in jeans...I would know, I gave him my sharpie to mark them up with specialized logos, and he wore them to make...
Palmer did one race in jeans...I would know, I gave him my sharpie to mark them up with specialized logos, and he wore them to make a point, not because they were awesome. His point being; "one dude changed the whole game, and got everyone in moto pants, me".
Maxipedia wrote:
I am surprised this hasn't been said earlier, as this is one of the more interesting parts in the history of our still young sport; how...
I am surprised this hasn't been said earlier, as this is one of the more interesting parts in the history of our still young sport; how the top marketable athlete at the time used whatever he had handy (in this case a borrowed sharpie) as leverage in a contract negotiation. I mean, we are still talking about it exactly 21 years later; that's quite some power in a sharpie! Wink I would really like to find out if it's true that Fox ended up paying him more than he initially asked or if that is only folklore... And I do hope Palmer is well somewhere around Tahoe!

As for actual team rumour talk, I like Johannes a ton, but I think this Denim Destroyer thing is getting old and boring. It was nice at the beginning, the point was made here too, the discussion created (here we are...), but now I think he is only reinforcing his privateer brand, maybe to create more leverage for future contract discussions. But Commencal already used his image in a recent clip, so it must be true that there is a bond there. Because I don't think they tricked him into doing things for free for them. So I'm jumping the ”Johannes von Klebelsberg to Commencal 100%” wagon.

As for jeans being ”better” for DH racing... Mhm, right!
I was sat in the car park with him during these negotiations, they fell apart because he was asking for a ridiculous sum of money to run gear. In the end, he still got more than any bike athlete was making for a gear deal, but not his original ask. Palm was only around for 3 seasons, the rocket burned hot and quick and left us all with many stories and lessons in contract negotiations haha.
8/26/2019 7:20am
I was sat in the car park with him during these negotiations, they fell apart because he was asking for a ridiculous sum of money to...
I was sat in the car park with him during these negotiations, they fell apart because he was asking for a ridiculous sum of money to run gear. In the end, he still got more than any bike athlete was making for a gear deal, but not his original ask. Palm was only around for 3 seasons, the rocket burned hot and quick and left us all with many stories and lessons in contract negotiations haha.
These stories could probably take up their own thread!
sspomer
8/26/2019 8:40am
does this count? sam hill liked an insta post we made about the new intense primers?

Zuestman
8/26/2019 8:56am
sspomer wrote:
does this count? sam hill liked an insta post we made about the new intense primers? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/08/26/8379/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_08_26_at_9.38.00_AM.jpg[/img]
does this count? sam hill liked an insta post we made about the new intense primers?

Spomer you love stirring sh*t up this early in the season... kinda love it.

BTW they do have money now with Dungey and the other Honda guy buying in when they got Gwin... Gwin and Hill on the same bike wouldn't suck for the brand that is for sure....
8/26/2019 9:03am
sspomer wrote:
does this count? sam hill liked an insta post we made about the new intense primers? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/08/26/8379/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_08_26_at_9.38.00_AM.jpg[/img]

Zuestman wrote:
Spomer you love stirring sh*t up this early in the season... kinda love it. BTW they do have money now with Dungey and the other Honda...
Spomer you love stirring sh*t up this early in the season... kinda love it.

BTW they do have money now with Dungey and the other Honda guy buying in when they got Gwin... Gwin and Hill on the same bike wouldn't suck for the brand that is for sure....
Good job Zuestman you beat me to it!
Since Hill is a big moto guy that could make sense. t would be even more interesting if Neko would do some enduro races.
LLLLL
8/26/2019 9:40am
Hope the Denim Destroyer gets picked up for factory support!
What's in it for a gear brand to partner with a guy that has basically said 'race pants' are not good?
Troy Lee next partnership with desiel?
w4s
8/26/2019 10:49am
sspomer wrote:

Didnt sam ride an M1 as a junior? Gwin's training trail in lake Elsinore used to be called Sam Hill trail and it was just down the street from Intense's old HQ.
Scrub
8/26/2019 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2019 6:31pm
Curtis Keene, "The American Dream" announced his retirement over the weekend @Northstar EWS on the P.A. system.
8/26/2019 8:21pm
Maxipedia wrote:
I am surprised this hasn't been said earlier, as this is one of the more interesting parts in the history of our still young sport; how...
I am surprised this hasn't been said earlier, as this is one of the more interesting parts in the history of our still young sport; how the top marketable athlete at the time used whatever he had handy (in this case a borrowed sharpie) as leverage in a contract negotiation. I mean, we are still talking about it exactly 21 years later; that's quite some power in a sharpie! Wink I would really like to find out if it's true that Fox ended up paying him more than he initially asked or if that is only folklore... And I do hope Palmer is well somewhere around Tahoe!

As for actual team rumour talk, I like Johannes a ton, but I think this Denim Destroyer thing is getting old and boring. It was nice at the beginning, the point was made here too, the discussion created (here we are...), but now I think he is only reinforcing his privateer brand, maybe to create more leverage for future contract discussions. But Commencal already used his image in a recent clip, so it must be true that there is a bond there. Because I don't think they tricked him into doing things for free for them. So I'm jumping the ”Johannes von Klebelsberg to Commencal 100%” wagon.

As for jeans being ”better” for DH racing... Mhm, right!
I believe he rode for one of the smaller Commencal teams in the past. I think the jeans thing is great, i’d Like him to keep it going, wish more guys were willing to just be themselves on the wc stage
Primoz
8/26/2019 10:03pm
Scrub wrote:
Curtis Keene, "The American Dream" announced his retirement over the weekend @Northstar EWS on the P.A. system.
Not really a surprise?
metadave
8/26/2019 10:27pm
As far as the denim destroyer, Although he loves the jeans because of their protection and such like he said, I'm sure if you gave him free dh gear and a pay check he'd be fine keeping them in the pits.
SB14
8/26/2019 11:22pm
sspomer wrote:

A like isnt much of a rumor. Even if you allow for the "story" to make sense, "he rode an M1", "Gwin on Sam Hill Trail"..

How many contracts do we know of that riders have been bought out of there contracts? Any?

Also, i made this point last year, cant we just dig up old post/press releases about the signing of contracts? Then we know who is going to get signed.
MikkoN
8/27/2019 1:54pm
@pinkbike MS Mondraker Team Spirit - Behind the Scene....

”Some have it lucky, some have just the one white box van to pit out of and a single set of riding pants... jeans in some cases.”

JEANS!

Denim Destroyer going to MS Mondraker?😳🙄😁
metadave
8/27/2019 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2019 3:34pm
sspomer wrote:

SB14 wrote:
A like isnt much of a rumor. Even if you allow for the "story" to make sense, "he rode an M1", "Gwin on Sam Hill Trail"...
A like isnt much of a rumor. Even if you allow for the "story" to make sense, "he rode an M1", "Gwin on Sam Hill Trail"..

How many contracts do we know of that riders have been bought out of there contracts? Any?

Also, i made this point last year, cant we just dig up old post/press releases about the signing of contracts? Then we know who is going to get signed.
Where's the fun in that? The drama? The intrigue?

It's our job on here to come up with the most all the worst, off the cuff rumors, the best of which eventually get stolen by pinkbike and only 10 posts of 5000 are even close to accurate.

It's how we pay back the pro's for our summer of entertainment when they need a laugh between reps. And I need something to come home too lol.
sspomer
8/27/2019 3:59pm
ok this is the most poorly-photoshopped one yet from an anonymous source. curious if any truth to it.

peecee
8/27/2019 6:08pm
sspomer wrote:
ok this is the most poorly-photoshopped one yet from an anonymous source. curious if any truth to it. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/08/27/8396/s1200_badphotoshop.jpg[/img]
ok this is the most poorly-photoshopped one yet from an anonymous source. curious if any truth to it.

I hope it’s true Giant is a bit of a nothing to to be honest and needs a fresh younger rider and someone who could sell the new 29” Glory when it eventually comes out
Scrub
8/27/2019 7:51pm
Jack Jackson, love it.
Johannes Jack Jackson...the large cell phone in pocketLaughing
w4s
8/27/2019 7:56pm
sspomer wrote:
ok this is the most poorly-photoshopped one yet from an anonymous source. curious if any truth to it. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/08/27/8396/s1200_badphotoshop.jpg[/img]

peecee wrote:
I hope it’s true Giant is a bit of a nothing to to be honest and needs a fresh younger rider and someone who could sell...
I hope it’s true Giant is a bit of a nothing to to be honest and needs a fresh younger rider and someone who could sell the new 29” Glory when it eventually comes out
IMO, Giant should be contending every year for a WC trophy, with their money and resources i feel like they should be trying harder.
8/27/2019 9:48pm
w4s wrote:
IMO, Giant should be contending every year for a WC trophy, with their money and resources i feel like they should be trying harder.
The problem is that even a couple of top riders doesn't necessarily result in sales... Did Giant sell a ton of Glories when Danny Hart won?
sspomer
8/27/2019 10:02pm
this isn't rumor related. it's world champs. but the longevity of this thread seems like the right place for this pic. see you tomorrow w/ more world champs stuff

w4s
8/28/2019 6:56am
w4s wrote:
The problem is that even a couple of top riders doesn't necessarily result in sales... Did Giant sell a ton of Glories when Danny Hart won?
I know what you're saying and I'm really just trying to stir some shit up but, I live in the TO area and ride all around, mostly Rocky Peak in Simi, and I rarely see Giants on the trails, in their own neighborhood. There's lots of options so I don't think too hard about it but it is an observation. Anyhow, racing is a mindset and Giant doesn't "seem" to take it as seriously as Specialized and Trek and Commencal, but I don't know anything and could be completely wrong and Im too lazy to graph out their results.
8/28/2019 7:15am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2019 7:16am
w4s wrote:
w4s wrote:
I know what you're saying and I'm really just trying to stir some shit up but, I live in the TO area and ride all around...
I know what you're saying and I'm really just trying to stir some shit up but, I live in the TO area and ride all around, mostly Rocky Peak in Simi, and I rarely see Giants on the trails, in their own neighborhood. There's lots of options so I don't think too hard about it but it is an observation. Anyhow, racing is a mindset and Giant doesn't "seem" to take it as seriously as Specialized and Trek and Commencal, but I don't know anything and could be completely wrong and Im too lazy to graph out their results.
I wouldn't say are wrong... Giant has never been a big marketing company like Specialized... The best marketing they've had in recent years was Yohan before he left... But, that was more him than Giant...

I think Giant is content with getting some lower priced riders and hoping that they get some good press before moving on to a bigger paycheck... Plus, nobody is making a fortune selling DH bikes...
Man... I need to get back to Rocky Peak.. Grew up in Simi.. Miss that place..
w4s
8/28/2019 8:20am
w4s wrote:
I know what you're saying and I'm really just trying to stir some shit up but, I live in the TO area and ride all around...
I wouldn't say are wrong... Giant has never been a big marketing company like Specialized... The best marketing they've had in recent years was Yohan before...
I wouldn't say are wrong... Giant has never been a big marketing company like Specialized... The best marketing they've had in recent years was Yohan before he left... But, that was more him than Giant...

I think Giant is content with getting some lower priced riders and hoping that they get some good press before moving on to a bigger paycheck... Plus, nobody is making a fortune selling DH bikes...
Oh man, if you haven't ridden RP in the last couple years then you definitely need to make it a point to come back, there's been a bunch of building and new trails.
8/30/2019 1:48pm
w4s wrote:
I wouldn't say are wrong... Giant has never been a big marketing company like Specialized... The best marketing they've had in recent years was Yohan before...

I don't even remember Barelli riding for them, guess it didnt work.
jeff.brines
8/30/2019 2:00pm
I only remember because he rode (basically) naked on a cx bike down some trail at whistler. #stunting

Giant needs an entire rebranding to have a relevant team. As you guys noted, they've had some big names, and nobody remembers. Go to their website, report back on how it "made you feel". You know its bad when visiting Proctor and Gamble's website gives you a "less corporate feel". Sterile isn't a strong enough word for the brand's image these days.

Maybe they are fine making bikes for everyone else, but they could be a total powerhouse on the retail end too if they kicked things up a few notches.

Just like, my opinion, man.
8/31/2019 6:22am
I only remember because he rode (basically) naked on a cx bike down some trail at whistler. #stunting Giant needs an entire rebranding to have a...
I only remember because he rode (basically) naked on a cx bike down some trail at whistler. #stunting

Giant needs an entire rebranding to have a relevant team. As you guys noted, they've had some big names, and nobody remembers. Go to their website, report back on how it "made you feel". You know its bad when visiting Proctor and Gamble's website gives you a "less corporate feel". Sterile isn't a strong enough word for the brand's image these days.

Maybe they are fine making bikes for everyone else, but they could be a total powerhouse on the retail end too if they kicked things up a few notches.

Just like, my opinion, man.
I like what Elliot Jackson is doing these days and Marcelo and Jacob are no slouches so I really don’t have a problem with their program. Glory’s are still a popular rental bike and their reasonably specEd trail bikes generally sell out quick so I can’t see exactly what they are doing wrong.
jeff.brines
8/31/2019 7:55am
I like what Elliot Jackson is doing these days and Marcelo and Jacob are no slouches so I really don’t have a problem with their program...
I like what Elliot Jackson is doing these days and Marcelo and Jacob are no slouches so I really don’t have a problem with their program. Glory’s are still a popular rental bike and their reasonably specEd trail bikes generally sell out quick so I can’t see exactly what they are doing wrong.
Fair point for sure.

I suppose the biggest thing is if I were buying a new mtn bike, Giant really wouldn't even be on my radar. This wasn't the case 10 years ago. The OG Reign was way ahead of its time, and the price was SO good.

Giant has a few cool bikes, the one that is aimed at the NICA crowd (I forgot the model) is great.

I just think they need to "up" their image and do the little things better. Just feels like they are phoning it in, and the best team in the world won't change that feeling.(okay, it might...)

8/31/2019 9:01am
I like what Elliot Jackson is doing these days and Marcelo and Jacob are no slouches so I really don’t have a problem with their program...
Fair point for sure. I suppose the biggest thing is if I were buying a new mtn bike, Giant really wouldn't even be on my radar...
Fair point for sure.

I suppose the biggest thing is if I were buying a new mtn bike, Giant really wouldn't even be on my radar. This wasn't the case 10 years ago. The OG Reign was way ahead of its time, and the price was SO good.

Giant has a few cool bikes, the one that is aimed at the NICA crowd (I forgot the model) is great.

I just think they need to "up" their image and do the little things better. Just feels like they are phoning it in, and the best team in the world won't change that feeling.(okay, it might...)

Elliot is the guy I watch the most on the team right now... They've got some solid riders with great marketing potential, even without top finishes... In the social media age, a good personality will get more attention than finishes..

They are putting out some bikes at great price points right now.. The Stance 2 that my son is on this weekend is $1500... We added a dropper for demo use... The Stance 1 at $1800 is impossible to get since Giant is consistently sold out... And the Trance 3 at $2100... Damn!

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest