2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

12/20/2019 7:57am
There was a podcast a little while back with an agent on the moto side of things... One interesting comment was how a lot of those deals are in the works anywhere from 8 to 18 months in advance because of all the variables... I wonder how long some of these deals are being worked out before the rest of us catch wind of them.....
kwapik
12/20/2019 8:27am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2019 8:28am
2020 proving to be the year of rider and team shuffling. It's going to be an interesting race season.
One Ghost
12/20/2019 9:44am
Sounds like the Bruce Klein to Intense rumor just got some legs...
I would be surprised if Klein doesn't go to Intense.
One Ghost
12/20/2019 9:47am
There was a podcast a little while back with an agent on the moto side of things... One interesting comment was how a lot of those...
There was a podcast a little while back with an agent on the moto side of things... One interesting comment was how a lot of those deals are in the works anywhere from 8 to 18 months in advance because of all the variables... I wonder how long some of these deals are being worked out before the rest of us catch wind of them.....
A lot of times it can be a year ahead of contract end, sometimes further. Riders want to ensure longevity and look to keep a secure future. If they are offered a sure thing, they may jump on it and forgo the first right of refusal for a current sponsor contract in favor of a future one.
bizutch
12/20/2019 12:56pm
All these "Riders leaving.." posts are like trying to unwrap Christmas presents only to still have more wrapping underneath.

Shell game.
metadave
12/20/2019 1:15pm
Said before the cannon has fired it’s last round
As in no more riders on c-dale or no more c-dale. Or are they focusing on road and XC teams while GT focuses on gravity?
Jrp
12/20/2019 1:22pm
Apparently Moir had a deal going with cannondale and it flopped in the final stages. Possibly going to EWS
sspomer
12/20/2019 1:54pm
Jrp wrote:
Apparently Moir had a deal going with cannondale and it flopped in the final stages. Possibly going to EWS
moir racing EWS instead of DH would be a travesty. say it ain't so.
barryjenson
12/20/2019 2:17pm
If I were a betting person I see moir at ews

Also heard there’s a few UK riders without deals

Partly comes down to Social media influencers taking budget from racing teams
Brands don’t need race teams to sell bikes or product anymore

Lots of riders still in contract and few spots on teams mean people lose out.

cebe
12/20/2019 2:25pm
tombola33 wrote:
Oton and Flo to Spez
Oton 99,9% not to Spec!
DubC
12/20/2019 2:34pm
Considering costs of fielding a race team and impacts of instafuencers on marketing budgets it's gotta be hard for racers that are not at the pointy end of the stick. Esp in DH with limited riders being shown on redbull.tv. Im a huge fan of Moir and would be bummed to see him leaving DH.

Is it already common knowledge that Nina Hoffman will be staying on Santa Cruz? Not sure if Syndicated or not....but apparently she will be back riding a V10.
12/20/2019 3:13pm
ebikes and really bad youtubers stealing DH budget.
It's up to you people, stop sharing these crappy videos of people doing nothing inspiring.
As for ebikes, nothing we can do to stop the industry coddling to it.
brash
12/20/2019 3:33pm
The fact of the matter is no one buys dh bikes anymore. I doubt forming a WCDH team is a successful business in any sense of the word. Why do people do it? For the love of the sport and the technical advancement of mtb as a whole.

As for YouTube, take Seth’s bike hacks for example. 1.64mill subscribers, with probably way more random views on top of that. Now let’s take Aaron Gwin who has 425k insta followers. You throw Seth a few bikes, some cash to make some entertaining videos and the reach is exponentially larger than the gwinster himself. Sure one may be the greatest rider to hop on a bicycle and the other a dude with a handycam but if we are talking exposure to the masses those YouTube dudes have some reach.

I hope Jack lands on his feet, he was on the cusp of a win a couple of years back and you won’t find a nicer dude.
sspomer
12/20/2019 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2019 3:41pm
DubC wrote:
Considering costs of fielding a race team and impacts of instafuencers on marketing budgets it's gotta be hard for racers that are not at the pointy...
Considering costs of fielding a race team and impacts of instafuencers on marketing budgets it's gotta be hard for racers that are not at the pointy end of the stick. Esp in DH with limited riders being shown on redbull.tv. Im a huge fan of Moir and would be bummed to see him leaving DH.

Is it already common knowledge that Nina Hoffman will be staying on Santa Cruz? Not sure if Syndicated or not....but apparently she will be back riding a V10.
(no idea about nina yet, addressing your first comment). i totally agree about racers vs influencers (and stik's comment). i'm SO curious how impactful influencers are if they're not at the pointy end of the influencer results.

what's a social person with 10k or 50k insta followers worth? anything? a living wage? some product? what about a youtuber with 10k subscribers? 50k subscribers? just like w/ racing, the big influencers cost big money. how long will a racer-turned-youtuber last? (is that what lew buchanan is doing now?) is grinding out vlogs for product or nickels any different than going into debt traveling for racing? starting a social career now could take years for it to maybe (and probably not) pay off in any substantial way. especially considering the non-stop amount of work needed every day filming, editing, spamming to your channels.

sorry, kind of a derail from team news, but maybe not. i find it all mesmerizing.

12/20/2019 3:56pm
Regarding YouTube...
I've seen stats that while it fluctuates a ton based on many metrics... it's fairly safe to assume a 10min+ youtube video (has to be over 10min to have slots for multiple commercials) that has 1 million views, will net ~$1,200 for the YouTuber. If the audience is older 35-45 vs. 18-25, the video (ads) will pay out more, etc. So, these top Youtuber guys might be making $40k, or less, a year total from Youtube + bikes/parts/cash from sponsors. This is why most live in a van. But again, there are so many variables it's hard to really know since it's definitely not just a straight linear relationship of views=cash.
12/20/2019 4:03pm
Regarding YouTube... I've seen stats that while it fluctuates a ton based on many metrics... it's fairly safe to assume a 10min+ youtube video (has to...
Regarding YouTube...
I've seen stats that while it fluctuates a ton based on many metrics... it's fairly safe to assume a 10min+ youtube video (has to be over 10min to have slots for multiple commercials) that has 1 million views, will net ~$1,200 for the YouTuber. If the audience is older 35-45 vs. 18-25, the video (ads) will pay out more, etc. So, these top Youtuber guys might be making $40k, or less, a year total from Youtube + bikes/parts/cash from sponsors. This is why most live in a van. But again, there are so many variables it's hard to really know since it's definitely not just a straight linear relationship of views=cash.
A lot of them utilize Patreon
puddings
12/20/2019 4:12pm
A lot of them utilize Patreon
Cathro said in a podcast interview pretty much that it was only the crowdfunding from Patreon that allowed him to make Cathrovision - youtube income alone would not cover his costs.
12/20/2019 4:21pm
Clout and Swag or Speed and Merit! Influencers give reach to brands but no value.
Short-sighted marketer might not understand that for now.

Diamond Back was cool under Mike King, not so much under Seth.

Brands might fall for that for a while but I'm confident money will come back to rain on the raddest sport in the world.
Long live racing. long life MTB DH!!
Sesame Seed
12/20/2019 4:48pm
ebikes and really bad youtubers stealing DH budget. It's up to you people, stop sharing these crappy videos of people doing nothing inspiring. As for ebikes...
ebikes and really bad youtubers stealing DH budget.
It's up to you people, stop sharing these crappy videos of people doing nothing inspiring.
As for ebikes, nothing we can do to stop the industry coddling to it.
What a load of malarkey - don't you actually perform a service related-to Cyclists? IE - Profit??

Police each and every (distraction) social 'meed while me and my bro's squeeze this Turnip over here.

Think about what you just went and said and I'll think about thinking about it. And ebikes will roam the streets as we all caravan the trails, the forests and write our representatives.

You're just as uninspiring as a dog-poo tabletop.
12/20/2019 5:11pm
> Nico Vink to race tour d' france from next year.
> FMD racing will start giving spinning classes
> Damien Oton to focus on eFatBiking
> Jack Moir will drop DH racing to become the new crocodile hunter
> SSpomer to wrench for Minnar but only changing tires (he proved on the tire testing video his skills with no tools)*
* I wonder if he could do it with one hand...???

You read it here first.
ride
12/20/2019 6:28pm
DubC wrote:
Considering costs of fielding a race team and impacts of instafuencers on marketing budgets it's gotta be hard for racers that are not at the pointy...

sspomer wrote:
[i](no idea about nina yet, addressing your first comment).[/i] i totally agree about racers vs influencers (and stik's comment). i'm SO curious how impactful influencers are...
(no idea about nina yet, addressing your first comment). i totally agree about racers vs influencers (and stik's comment). i'm SO curious how impactful influencers are if they're not at the pointy end of the influencer results.

what's a social person with 10k or 50k insta followers worth? anything? a living wage? some product? what about a youtuber with 10k subscribers? 50k subscribers? just like w/ racing, the big influencers cost big money. how long will a racer-turned-youtuber last? (is that what lew buchanan is doing now?) is grinding out vlogs for product or nickels any different than going into debt traveling for racing? starting a social career now could take years for it to maybe (and probably not) pay off in any substantial way. especially considering the non-stop amount of work needed every day filming, editing, spamming to your channels.

sorry, kind of a derail from team news, but maybe not. i find it all mesmerizing.

In my opinion, the social (esp IG) influencer personality and content has a shelf life. People are going to catch on to how disingenuous it is, and it’s going to become more and more transparent how ‘advertisey’ it is.

When we make a move to work with someone of any stature, be it mega pro to local ripper / good person their social reach is far from a metric we place value on. It might seem ridiculous but we place human contact and interaction value so far beyond any social bs.

I find it a shame that so many companies, brands etc are required to look at metric based systems like IG and YouTube to place value on a professional athlete. I understand why, but don’t agree with it.

Sorry, I guess it’s just the aging professional racer turned industry guy in me that can’t let go.

We need to make the change from within.

-Lars | Transition Bikes
12/20/2019 6:38pm
DubC wrote:

sspomer wrote:
[i](no idea about nina yet, addressing your first comment).[/i] i totally agree about racers vs influencers (and stik's comment). i'm SO curious how impactful influencers are...

ride wrote:
In my opinion, the social (esp IG) influencer personality and content has a shelf life. People are going to catch on to how disingenuous it is...
In my opinion, the social (esp IG) influencer personality and content has a shelf life. People are going to catch on to how disingenuous it is, and it’s going to become more and more transparent how ‘advertisey’ it is.

When we make a move to work with someone of any stature, be it mega pro to local ripper / good person their social reach is far from a metric we place value on. It might seem ridiculous but we place human contact and interaction value so far beyond any social bs.

I find it a shame that so many companies, brands etc are required to look at metric based systems like IG and YouTube to place value on a professional athlete. I understand why, but don’t agree with it.

Sorry, I guess it’s just the aging professional racer turned industry guy in me that can’t let go.

We need to make the change from within.

-Lars | Transition Bikes
Kudos to that. I think the Social Media BS is just a blessing for corporate drones, they need metrics to justify their budget but on the long run I'm not sure it impacts the bottom line and more importantly contribute to make a sport and its community healthy

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest