MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Primoz
9/22/2020 11:56pm
Clearly mornings are not for me and I should have said similar. Or should have said when they have a similar shock position regardless of the underlying system.

Plus people expect two bikes to be completely different when they have a different link or shock position when they are actually similar.
9/23/2020 1:03am
New Nukeproof coming: [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked...
New Nukeproof coming: [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]
PJ205 wrote:
Twinsies! [img]https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/files/frame/thumbs/my21_thumb_0015_my21_bronson_cc_xo1_rsv_green.jpg[/img]
Twinsies!

not even close
9/23/2020 1:50am
And once again they removed the pictures... why even bother making a leaks thread if you’re gonna delete everything when a leak actually happens? What’s the point??
9/23/2020 2:40am
And once again they removed the pictures... why even bother making a leaks thread if you’re gonna delete everything when a leak actually happens? What’s the...
And once again they removed the pictures... why even bother making a leaks thread if you’re gonna delete everything when a leak actually happens? What’s the point??
Hi Vital Forum peoples,

This is not Vital's fault what so ever, we have ask them to take it down. The info out was not images of bikes but mock up CAD images which honestly as just shit with loads of incorrect details. These files are only ever intended to go to our dealers (and should never make it beyond this) to help them.

Hand on heart we will never ask to remove genuine "spy shots" out in the field/ testing, where things are open to public to shoot.

We promise your patience will be worth while when the time is right and appreciate all your support.

Again, please accept our humble apologise for ruining any fun.

Much Love,
Team Nukeproof x

danposs86
9/23/2020 2:48am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 2:49am
You could make it up to us by giving the thread an official early preview before the other sites. That would be a classy move.
Primoz
9/23/2020 3:07am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 7:47am
Fat chance of that happening, it makes zero sense. It's one thing to take a sneaky shot of a bike being out tested. The manufacturer providing info, before time, is just a shot in the foot. There is a whole industry (Vital included) that signs NDAs and embargoes and prepares the testing and articles beforehand so when the release date comes and the embargo is lifted, the articles are available.

The manufacturer providing this info to a 'random' forum would make all the other sites very unhappy and would invalidate the NDAs. Then it's just a shitstorm who can make the crappiest article he fastest in order to get the clicks ASAP.

We could then just cancel all the embargoes and NDAs, have the manufacturers release the details and seed test products to the sites and have another race to the bottom who can put out the shittiest article the first and get the clicks.

Quality > quantity.

9/23/2020 3:36am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 8:10am
Hi Vital Forum peoples, This is not Vital's fault what so ever, we have ask them to take it down. The info out was not images...
Hi Vital Forum peoples,

This is not Vital's fault what so ever, we have ask them to take it down. The info out was not images of bikes but mock up CAD images which honestly as just shit with loads of incorrect details. These files are only ever intended to go to our dealers (and should never make it beyond this) to help them.

Hand on heart we will never ask to remove genuine "spy shots" out in the field/ testing, where things are open to public to shoot.

We promise your patience will be worth while when the time is right and appreciate all your support.

Much Love,
Team Nukeproof x

Primoz
9/23/2020 3:41am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 3:42am
I must admit, that is an insane CAD model. Must be done on a pre release RTX Quadro from the new Ampere generation (also used in the RTX 30 series of GPUs).
9/23/2020 3:44am
Primoz wrote:
I must admit, that is an insane CAD model. Must be done on a pre release RTX Quadro from the new Ampere generation (also used in...
I must admit, that is an insane CAD model. Must be done on a pre release RTX Quadro from the new Ampere generation (also used in the RTX 30 series of GPUs).
Looks so realistic doesn’t it? Almost as if it were done in the matrix
9/23/2020 4:19am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 4:26am
Primoz wrote:
I must admit, that is an insane CAD model. Must be done on a pre release RTX Quadro from the new Ampere generation (also used in...
Looks so realistic doesn’t it? Almost as if it were done in the matrix
Thanks for all your support. We're trying to play nice.

Sesame Seed
9/23/2020 6:51am
Ohhh Gawd! Barf! - what's with that front brake hose routing? If I, the consumer, demand such ultra steep STA that there' no movement on the saddle at all and if I do I throw my Pelvis out of whack - I do not want to be looking at some Vermicelli of a Brake Hose.

What were they thinking???

PS - How much will Shipping be to FloridaCool ??
nskerb
9/23/2020 7:17am
Hi Vital Forum peoples, This is not Vital's fault what so ever, we have ask them to take it down. The info out was not images...
Hi Vital Forum peoples,

Much Love,
Team Nukeproof x

[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/09/23/9919/s1200_ADE09955_B1C7_4852_AB42_FB368A3EFCAE.jpg[/img]

Dude you're being a douche.
9/23/2020 8:09am
nskerb wrote:
They said they only deleted the cad models which is a lie . So since they said pictures are not a problem there is the picture they “accidentally” deleted, which clearly isn’t a Cad model or is it?
Joe Berg
9/23/2020 8:23am
Looks like there is a new propain Spindrift on the way Smile anyone got any nice shots?
nskerb
9/23/2020 8:26am
nskerb wrote:
They said they only deleted the cad models which is a lie . So since they said pictures are not a problem there is the picture...
They said they only deleted the cad models which is a lie . So since they said pictures are not a problem there is the picture they “accidentally” deleted, which clearly isn’t a Cad model or is it?
Also; you edited out the “fuck you” emoji directed towards nukeproof. Solid.
Primoz
9/23/2020 8:28am
nskerb wrote:
He actually kind of has a point.

Think of it this way, there was a leak, caused by either an employee or a dealer. And those happen all the time, it's just a question who you share information you're privy to. Some pople just don't care and post the stuff on the internet. That means we get actions like these, but the main issue is at the start of the chain. For example, I've been aware of what Norco will be doing since early August, but I've kept mum on it (and will keep mum on it) because I gain nothing by spilling the beans (or, if anything, not being privy of information ahead of time ever again), excep 2 minutes of fame. And it's very clear there are quite a few people participating in this topic that have had at least the same info for quite a while longer.

Now, the real issue? Some leaked material was posted on a website's forum by a user. The website is, in the end, responsible for what is posted on said site and what is removed due to some laws. But these kind of posts don't break any racism, hate speech & co laws and are from that standpoint completely OK. Except for the company, that is the target of a leak. Said company asks for said content to be removed and the website operators comply with it. This shows a precedent that the websites operators are willing to comply to said company's wishes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing any fingers or saying 'this is happening', I'm merely talking about a hypothetical situation as a consumer (of both products, the site's content and the company's bikes & stuff), that is, in my case admittedly a smartass, who has no problems with poking the proverbial wasp's nest and clearly doesn't give enough consideration as to how he appears on the internet, where I see this willingness to comply with certain requests. And then I'm starting to wonder what kind of other requests are there? And are they met? What kind of conditions are set to help them being met, etc.? And that then throws under consideration the neutrality and unbiasness of said site posting reviews of products of said company and the ethics of said company. And all because said company tried to stuff the genie, let out of the bottle, back into the bottle instead of dealing with the problem they have on the other end of the chain.

We haven't had many dramas around this topic in our world, if I'm not mistaken, but there have been a few in the tech world, where companies tied to strongarm some smaller and not so small reviewers into better reviews by threatening to not send them any more products and the like. And even the big sites and reviewers talk about rumors and leaked content, openly (while I have a distinct feeling MTB sites throw out a leaked photo here or there just to increase engagement with the public through comments, effectively feeding us breadcrumbs under the table while they have the whole cake on their tables), but that of course changes once the product is actually close to release, samples are seeded to the reviewers and NDAs are signed.

It's a bit of a rant, it will probably be seen as controversial in some circles (or eyes), but I'm not blaming anything or anyone of doing anything wrong, it's all just hypotheticals and how it _appears_ to the consumer. And I'm well aware running a site is not a simple or ceap business and that forum posts don't pay the bills, but at the end of it all, sites and brands DO exist because of the consumers making clicks and buying gear.
9/23/2020 9:22am
nskerb wrote:
Also; you edited out the “fuck you” emoji directed towards nukeproof. Solid.
I did, yes. That was childish on my part so I removed it.
EugenM
9/23/2020 9:54am
Another question is, will vital staff or Nukeproof will come here and appologise if the, so called, unrealistic CADs will turn out to be exactly as the real bike or it is a simple matter of holding the info by mid-october when the bike should basically be throw on the market?(early October for the new Mega)
9/23/2020 10:44am
EugenM wrote:
Another question is, will vital staff or Nukeproof will come here and appologise if the, so called, unrealistic CADs will turn out to be exactly as...
Another question is, will vital staff or Nukeproof will come here and appologise if the, so called, unrealistic CADs will turn out to be exactly as the real bike or it is a simple matter of holding the info by mid-october when the bike should basically be throw on the market?(early October for the new Mega)
We're here now and kind of all I am asking is that we would prefer to keep our toys in our toy box until its time to play with them.

This bike that has been shared/ leaked by a dealer (an error on their part) is still some way off with no fixed release date- especially difficult to pin in the current global climate (and way beyond October FYI!). We choose not to release information too early so to not frustrate/ infuriate potential customers, that may think it will be here next week. We're pretty open as one of the brands that chooses (most of the time) to test public facing usually at the highest level of races to ensure the product is correct (see prev. Mega/ Dissent/ Pulse etc.)

This "leak" was privileged information for dealers at a very earlier stage to allow them to help forecast sales/ place orders.

I wanted to come on here earlier to explain/ apologise for asking Vital MTB to remove some info (just as it was a little damaging). We're super excited to talk new bikes when the timing is right and hope you all understand.

We look forward to talking new bikes with you all in due course. Today I'm happy to talk about our new kids Cub-Scouts Smile

Cheers,
Rob
Nukeproof Marketing manager
EugenM
9/23/2020 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 12:33pm
We're here now and kind of all I am asking is that we would prefer to keep our toys in our toy box until its time...
We're here now and kind of all I am asking is that we would prefer to keep our toys in our toy box until its time to play with them.

This bike that has been shared/ leaked by a dealer (an error on their part) is still some way off with no fixed release date- especially difficult to pin in the current global climate (and way beyond October FYI!). We choose not to release information too early so to not frustrate/ infuriate potential customers, that may think it will be here next week. We're pretty open as one of the brands that chooses (most of the time) to test public facing usually at the highest level of races to ensure the product is correct (see prev. Mega/ Dissent/ Pulse etc.)

This "leak" was privileged information for dealers at a very earlier stage to allow them to help forecast sales/ place orders.

I wanted to come on here earlier to explain/ apologise for asking Vital MTB to remove some info (just as it was a little damaging). We're super excited to talk new bikes when the timing is right and hope you all understand.

We look forward to talking new bikes with you all in due course. Today I'm happy to talk about our new kids Cub-Scouts Smile

Cheers,
Rob
Nukeproof Marketing manager
Well, that's more of a decent reply. It would have been much more simple to come forward and say this from the beginning, I think...

Anyway, personally, this bike caught my interest as soon as I saw the spy-photo on instagram around a month ago, considering it to be the perfect complement to my reactor(I'm not racing any enduros and for epic all-and over-mountain trips, my reactor is more than adequate);
As we are talking about dealer fcst in cogs and quantities, then it is not quite in a such a 'less' advance stage; if you don't launch in october(which is a bummer for me), it will probably be released in spring. No worries, I can buy one even then but you should look closely at the time frame as before the next season, there are a pretty serious number of bikes that are in final stages of being launched. (I don't want to play the connoisseur because I'm not...I'm just adding some things that are pretty obvious)

Anyway, I will be looking forward for this bike, whenever you guys decide it's the right time. Best of luck!

Cheers!
Karabuka
9/23/2020 12:59pm
Yea I'm kinda confused how shops and stuff are allowed to be leaking like this... Imma assume then that companies think it's okay to use it...
Yea I'm kinda confused how shops and stuff are allowed to be leaking like this... Imma assume then that companies think it's okay to use it to drum up excitement and just leave this here

https://www.mojekolo.cz/norco-shore-a-frame-silver-silver-27-5-l/
Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year ahead of their release times? I remember Meta with clear pictures of zeb like a month before its release (even though everyone knew it was coming), w(TF)/e Specialized tried to do with the status, now this? I've been following these threads for long time and really do not remember so many fcks up in previous years and I definetly do not remember companies lurking around and imposing embargos...
Sesame Seed
9/23/2020 1:06pm
Primoz wrote:
He actually kind of has a point. Think of it this way, there was a leak, caused by either an employee or a dealer. And those...
He actually kind of has a point.

Think of it this way, there was a leak, caused by either an employee or a dealer. And those happen all the time, it's just a question who you share information you're privy to. Some pople just don't care and post the stuff on the internet. That means we get actions like these, but the main issue is at the start of the chain. For example, I've been aware of what Norco will be doing since early August, but I've kept mum on it (and will keep mum on it) because I gain nothing by spilling the beans (or, if anything, not being privy of information ahead of time ever again), excep 2 minutes of fame. And it's very clear there are quite a few people participating in this topic that have had at least the same info for quite a while longer.

Now, the real issue? Some leaked material was posted on a website's forum by a user. The website is, in the end, responsible for what is posted on said site and what is removed due to some laws. But these kind of posts don't break any racism, hate speech & co laws and are from that standpoint completely OK. Except for the company, that is the target of a leak. Said company asks for said content to be removed and the website operators comply with it. This shows a precedent that the websites operators are willing to comply to said company's wishes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing any fingers or saying 'this is happening', I'm merely talking about a hypothetical situation as a consumer (of both products, the site's content and the company's bikes & stuff), that is, in my case admittedly a smartass, who has no problems with poking the proverbial wasp's nest and clearly doesn't give enough consideration as to how he appears on the internet, where I see this willingness to comply with certain requests. And then I'm starting to wonder what kind of other requests are there? And are they met? What kind of conditions are set to help them being met, etc.? And that then throws under consideration the neutrality and unbiasness of said site posting reviews of products of said company and the ethics of said company. And all because said company tried to stuff the genie, let out of the bottle, back into the bottle instead of dealing with the problem they have on the other end of the chain.

We haven't had many dramas around this topic in our world, if I'm not mistaken, but there have been a few in the tech world, where companies tied to strongarm some smaller and not so small reviewers into better reviews by threatening to not send them any more products and the like. And even the big sites and reviewers talk about rumors and leaked content, openly (while I have a distinct feeling MTB sites throw out a leaked photo here or there just to increase engagement with the public through comments, effectively feeding us breadcrumbs under the table while they have the whole cake on their tables), but that of course changes once the product is actually close to release, samples are seeded to the reviewers and NDAs are signed.

It's a bit of a rant, it will probably be seen as controversial in some circles (or eyes), but I'm not blaming anything or anyone of doing anything wrong, it's all just hypotheticals and how it _appears_ to the consumer. And I'm well aware running a site is not a simple or ceap business and that forum posts don't pay the bills, but at the end of it all, sites and brands DO exist because of the consumers making clicks and buying gear.
As opposed to supplying hypothetical framework and then humble-brag how devoted you are to being a salesman, just let it go.
Eating Spaghettios on a Toilet and posting on internet forum should not be considered as anything exclusive.
peecee
9/23/2020 11:20pm
2021 Canyon Sender in a much better colourway

9/24/2020 12:44am
Yea I'm kinda confused how shops and stuff are allowed to be leaking like this... Imma assume then that companies think it's okay to use it...
Yea I'm kinda confused how shops and stuff are allowed to be leaking like this... Imma assume then that companies think it's okay to use it to drum up excitement and just leave this here

https://www.mojekolo.cz/norco-shore-a-frame-silver-silver-27-5-l/
Karabuka wrote:
Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year...
Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year ahead of their release times? I remember Meta with clear pictures of zeb like a month before its release (even though everyone knew it was coming), w(TF)/e Specialized tried to do with the status, now this? I've been following these threads for long time and really do not remember so many fcks up in previous years and I definetly do not remember companies lurking around and imposing embargos...
Leaking photos of new bikes on purpose has been a part of brand strategies for ages, especially if stocks of previous years models are very low or depleted (cough cough canyon cough cough). I guess this year has been pretty confused for all product launches, with you-know-what ongoing, and brands had to leak a few photos to keep us focused on higher value products to come.
Well, that would be the "all is marketing, we're all puppets" conspiracy theory. Some leaks are on purpose, some just don't.

The fact is: a few years ago there wasn't so much fuss about product leaks, while there would be as many prototypes in the wild as we could see today. So, what's changed?
Well, every single person on the planet has now a phone & camera in the pocket, social media is a norm, and all riders and/or influencer willing to succeed in this industry has to post shitloads of content in order to get some more followers. Brands don't check every single snap / insta story / tiktok / whatever their ambassadors or relatives post on SM.
Also, brands don't check every single retailer website and/or SM content, because they probably do not know every single one of them (well depending on their distribution structure).
We, consumers, have now access to a massive amount of content posted online by a a buzzing community of passionate people. And yeah, sometimes there's a leak: shit happens. It's the bicycle industry we're talking about guys, not a super-secret space program.

(PS. what Specialized did with the Status was actually pretty smart.)
Eoin
9/24/2020 2:22am
Karabuka wrote:
Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year...
I think it might be partly due to the lockdown and social distancing, more people online sleuthing through forums and looking for something to talk about. Also possibly why we are all over-reacting one way or another.

When I came across the new Commencal meta power with prices on a German forum a few weeks before launch, I shared it around a few forums I post on. Nothing malicious, I love Commencal, it was just pure excitement and wanting to start a discussion. And does it really hurt them? We still can't buy them a month after the reveal... And won't be able to ride one until 2021...

I don't get why people are so upset about brands asking to remove leaks and Vital complying: in many cases Vital probably have the bike on test or in the pipe for a test with an embargo date, of course they are going comply. This is like the most logical "no harm, no foul" move.

It would be completely different if they were removing discussions about frames cracking or warranties not being honored... But considering every other review these days mentions a cracked carbon rim or chainstay, that doesn't seem to be the case.
pohsoonteng
9/24/2020 7:35am
Eoin wrote:
I think it might be partly due to the lockdown and social distancing, more people online sleuthing through forums and looking for something to talk about...
I think it might be partly due to the lockdown and social distancing, more people online sleuthing through forums and looking for something to talk about. Also possibly why we are all over-reacting one way or another.

When I came across the new Commencal meta power with prices on a German forum a few weeks before launch, I shared it around a few forums I post on. Nothing malicious, I love Commencal, it was just pure excitement and wanting to start a discussion. And does it really hurt them? We still can't buy them a month after the reveal... And won't be able to ride one until 2021...

I don't get why people are so upset about brands asking to remove leaks and Vital complying: in many cases Vital probably have the bike on test or in the pipe for a test with an embargo date, of course they are going comply. This is like the most logical "no harm, no foul" move.

It would be completely different if they were removing discussions about frames cracking or warranties not being honored... But considering every other review these days mentions a cracked carbon rim or chainstay, that doesn't seem to be the case.
That's pretty true... I've been out of a lot of work due to the pandemic, quarantine and on top of that air quality has not been great here in California. More time on my hands, more time spent indoors, more time looking through the internet...
9/24/2020 7:40am
Times are changing... Companies want to keep their cards close to their chests because the customer that just bought a bike is going to get pissed and flame the company online because they got "The old bike"... Also, production timelines are way off right now.. Maybe Nukeproof originally wanted to release this new bike in October, but they lost testing and development time due to a lack of racing and travel restrictions and the factory building the bike for them said "Yeah, we can do it... They'll be ready in October 2021..." I was looking for a bike for a customer the other day... I saw the bike would be available end of September... I got excited... Then I looked again and saw end of September 2021... Uggg...
C-LION
9/24/2020 10:56am
The new Propain Spindrift 2021....at least that’s the rumor. Tried my best to get a clean shot, but difficult to see anything from this photo.

C-LION
9/24/2020 10:59am
C-LION wrote:
The new Propain Spindrift 2021....at least that’s the rumor. Tried my best to get a clean shot, but difficult to see anything from this photo. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/09/24/9925/s1200_0584F87A_5111_4AD3_ABCD_D16ECA7B8F03.jpg[/img]
The new Propain Spindrift 2021....at least that’s the rumor. Tried my best to get a clean shot, but difficult to see anything from this photo.

Should be released on Monday.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest