MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
9/17/2020 2:09pm
Pedal4life wrote:
HEY SRAM

ARE YOU listening how come we don't have the Orbit Fluid Damper it looks to be far superior to the current roller clutch?
Fluid clutch can't handle the amount movement on a MTB. Designed for road. That's why it's only on the Road AXS groupos and not MTB.
Primoz
9/17/2020 10:02pm
Maybe the current design. Overall there shouldn't be a problem so I'm not doubting we'll see it on MTB at some point as well, if it's really that much better than the friction clutches. With no wear parts it makes sense for it to be better, even more so in the long run.
Primoz
9/19/2020 10:12am
And highpivot/idler lovers!

Mmmmmmmm.
9/21/2020 3:36pm
Sounds like embargo comes off the new Shorty end of this month or early October. Hope it's sooner than later. Loris ran them front and rear. Interesting Greg had an Assegai on during practice then went to the new shorty for race run. Lots of people running them at that race. Inlcuding Cabirou.
pohsoonteng
9/21/2020 4:16pm
Norco Shore? Taken off some IG pics from the Paris Expo posted by Norco France

9/21/2020 4:39pm
That norco looks sick! I’m guessing it’s the new range since that has kind of faded away in their line up?
9/21/2020 4:41pm
Also I’m happy to see that the bigger brands are moving away from carbon bikes again! Great for cost and for the polar bears
pohsoonteng
9/21/2020 4:44pm
That norco looks sick! I’m guessing it’s the new range since that has kind of faded away in their line up?
I'm pretty sure that's the Shore with the High Pivot Horst Link 27.5 and the Range is going to be the one the Norco boys were racing at Crankworx which is 29er High Virtual Pivot. I agree there. I'm actually a fan of aluminum in general. I'm still skeptical about carbon even though I really shouldn't be. Just the era I grew up riding bikes in i guess...
Primoz
9/21/2020 10:09pm
Well I think Freehub magazine had an article on environmental effects of aluminium and in the end aluminium bikes weren't actually better from carbon... But yeah, Al > C for me as well, if nothing else it's for the impact resistance.
9/21/2020 10:15pm
Primoz wrote:
Well I think Freehub magazine had an article on environmental effects of aluminium and in the end aluminium bikes weren't actually better from carbon... But yeah...
Well I think Freehub magazine had an article on environmental effects of aluminium and in the end aluminium bikes weren't actually better from carbon... But yeah, Al > C for me as well, if nothing else it's for the impact resistance.
The aluminium is maybe worse when it is refined, but it has eternal life with low environmental impact when being recycled. You can recycle aluminium indefinitely. Carbon composite not so much, and it usually ends up in landfills.
9/22/2020 1:06am
Primoz wrote:
Well I think Freehub magazine had an article on environmental effects of aluminium and in the end aluminium bikes weren't actually better from carbon... But yeah...
Since the average life of a bike is about let’s say 6-10 years with maybe 2-4 owners I’d rather have something you can melt back down and turn into a coke can than something that is nearly impossible to reuse and has to be put into a landfill or burned. I have had my fair share of carbon bikes on the last few years and now that I switched back to alloy I gotta say it really makes no difference in terms of descending or climbing and the extra weight of anything makes the bike feel more stable in rough sections.
metadave
9/22/2020 7:29am
Primoz wrote:
Since the average life of a bike is about let’s say 6-10 years with maybe 2-4 owners I’d rather have something you can melt back down...
Since the average life of a bike is about let’s say 6-10 years with maybe 2-4 owners I’d rather have something you can melt back down and turn into a coke can than something that is nearly impossible to reuse and has to be put into a landfill or burned. I have had my fair share of carbon bikes on the last few years and now that I switched back to alloy I gotta say it really makes no difference in terms of descending or climbing and the extra weight of anything makes the bike feel more stable in rough sections.
Exactly, after switching back and forth between carbon and aluminum the last few years the performance hasn't changed much. Maybe weight in the end product, but the bike still works. Suspension, tires and likely even spoke tension play more to how the bikes rides than material on an Enduro bike. Hardtails and road bikes, sure then it matters, but a big plush fully? Not really.
nskerb
9/22/2020 8:48am
Does anybody know a release date on the new Norcos? It looks like all of their 2021 bikes are out except new Range. Judging by pictures, there's going to be a 2 separate bikes. Last years new bike announcements were mid October for the optic and late October for the sight.
Primoz
9/22/2020 9:27am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2020 9:36am
Primoz wrote:
baronKanon wrote:
The aluminium is maybe worse when it is refined, but it has eternal life with low environmental impact when being recycled. You can recycle aluminium indefinitely...
The aluminium is maybe worse when it is refined, but it has eternal life with low environmental impact when being recycled. You can recycle aluminium indefinitely. Carbon composite not so much, and it usually ends up in landfills.
That's what is my stance too, though recycling aluminium is very energy intensive (though not something that would be a problem with nuclear energy covering the majority of our energy needs). But they covered these points too and carbon nevertheless came out in front, which was a bit of a blow.

I'll try to find the article.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for aluminium. I see no sense in paying 50 % more for a carbon frame with questionable recyclability for a weight saving in the order of 100 or 200 g (in some cases there is no difference) with no performance gain. With the correct construction I'm fairly certain any negatives aluminium might have compared to carbon can be negated, designs requiring the use of carbon are, in my opinion, wrong from the onset (keep it simple, looks like a session and the like) and the way carbon bikes are designed (they are actually designed and tested until they don't fail with the layup modified by trial and error, not engineered, at least in quite a few cases, plus the old Stumpjumper apparently had negative rebound characteristics at high impacts due to the carbon frame loading up unfavourably), I much prefer aluminium. Plus the impact resistance, on an aluminium frame I will have a dent, not broken fibres. And aluminium will tend to yield slowly at first.

But if anything, I'd go carbon for the frame, maaaaaaaaaaybe for the rims as a test (light bicycles rims aren't THAT expensive), but it's a hard no for handlebars, stems and cranks.
9/22/2020 10:36am
Primoz wrote:
That's what is my stance too, though recycling aluminium is very energy intensive (though not something that would be a problem with nuclear energy covering the...
That's what is my stance too, though recycling aluminium is very energy intensive (though not something that would be a problem with nuclear energy covering the majority of our energy needs). But they covered these points too and carbon nevertheless came out in front, which was a bit of a blow.

I'll try to find the article.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for aluminium. I see no sense in paying 50 % more for a carbon frame with questionable recyclability for a weight saving in the order of 100 or 200 g (in some cases there is no difference) with no performance gain. With the correct construction I'm fairly certain any negatives aluminium might have compared to carbon can be negated, designs requiring the use of carbon are, in my opinion, wrong from the onset (keep it simple, looks like a session and the like) and the way carbon bikes are designed (they are actually designed and tested until they don't fail with the layup modified by trial and error, not engineered, at least in quite a few cases, plus the old Stumpjumper apparently had negative rebound characteristics at high impacts due to the carbon frame loading up unfavourably), I much prefer aluminium. Plus the impact resistance, on an aluminium frame I will have a dent, not broken fibres. And aluminium will tend to yield slowly at first.

But if anything, I'd go carbon for the frame, maaaaaaaaaaybe for the rims as a test (light bicycles rims aren't THAT expensive), but it's a hard no for handlebars, stems and cranks.
Agree 100% and even though in Germany where I’m from most of the electricity is generated with coal it still seems more ethical to use aluminium instead of carbon. Carbon wheels are super stiff for me as I weigh barely 70kg but maybe the crank bros or zipp Moto wheels would be something to consider? The Reynolds I had on my last bike were too stiff
Whattheheel
9/22/2020 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 1:11am
New Nukeproof coming: [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]
PJ205
9/22/2020 3:03pm
New Nukeproof coming: [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked...
New Nukeproof coming: [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]
Twinsies!

9/22/2020 4:09pm
Is that Nuke Proof real? They have that new yellow Mega which looks long travel and now this? Maybe im out of the loop
Big Bird
9/22/2020 5:41pm
Is that Nuke Proof real? They have that new yellow Mega which looks long travel and now this? Maybe im out of the loop
#Underbiking is all the rage don't you know. A company must seek balance.

#Waitingforabrandnewdownhillbike...
9/22/2020 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 1:12am
New Mega [removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]

9/22/2020 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 1:12am
[removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]

mitch160
9/22/2020 7:15pm
[removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share...
[removed at the brand's request - these images have been leaked by sources not authorized to do so, and Nukeproof has respectfully asked not to share them]

is there a link to a full brochure?
brash
9/22/2020 8:25pm
I think above post may get zucked any minute!
Primoz
9/22/2020 9:57pm
Why do people always say two bikes look the same when they actually only look the same, but have a _completely_ different underlying suspension system?

The Grim Donut counter-comment is spot on, they have an almost exact same suspension layout (though the donut uses a pull-link to actuate the rocker, while the Giga uses a compression link, plus all the details of the pivot placements and so on).
Snakes
9/22/2020 11:45pm
Primoz wrote:
"Why do people always say two bikes look the same when they actually only look the same,"

Yes, why people do that.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest