MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
4/9/2020 1:02am
Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you...
Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you know....
It seems odd to me that they would have bigger stanchions on a single crown, than they would on a dual crown fork? I feel like...
It seems odd to me that they would have bigger stanchions on a single crown, than they would on a dual crown fork? I feel like this might be for 2022? because it would seem logical for the Boxxer to be the burliest fork in they're line up, having a single crown beefier than your dual crown seems odd!
While my OCD completely agrees with you, technically because of the dual crown, the Boxxer could should be stiffer with it's 35" stanchions, and I guess they need to find that happy medium between between too stiff and too compliant... but I would like to see a 38" Boxxer too.
metadave
4/9/2020 1:48am
Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you...
Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you know....
It seems odd to me that they would have bigger stanchions on a single crown, than they would on a dual crown fork? I feel like...
It seems odd to me that they would have bigger stanchions on a single crown, than they would on a dual crown fork? I feel like this might be for 2022? because it would seem logical for the Boxxer to be the burliest fork in they're line up, having a single crown beefier than your dual crown seems odd!
I think the totem with 40mm stanchions was released before the boxxer moved up from 32mm to 35
Rems
4/9/2020 7:25am
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but trp's 12 speed deraiileur/shifter must bee nearing production/release since it already has it's own website page:

https://shiftingfocus.trpcycling.eu/tr12/

If it's compatible with eagle shifters (like in some spy shots last year) it could be a good alternative to broken eagle derailleur.
OneManArmy
4/9/2020 9:37am
Rems wrote:
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but trp's 12 speed deraiileur/shifter must bee nearing production/release since it already has it's own website page: https://shiftingfocus.trpcycling.eu/tr12/ If...
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but trp's 12 speed deraiileur/shifter must bee nearing production/release since it already has it's own website page:

https://shiftingfocus.trpcycling.eu/tr12/

If it's compatible with eagle shifters (like in some spy shots last year) it could be a good alternative to broken eagle derailleur.
Yeah I talked to them not to long ago and they're pretty closed lip about any of the drive train stuff right now. Tells me it's close. I'm sure they'll have something to report soon. I'd like to try it at some point. I loved their brakes. Only complaint was lever size but you get used to it.
4/9/2020 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 12:43pm
No word on GX AXS yet?

I mean you can buy a smart light bulb that you can connect to wirelessly with an app on your phone to control it for like 15$

I feel like sram is gonna hold out on us for awhile to try recover their development cost by keeping it XX1 and X0 only

Making a GX AXS would cost them nothing in terms of the differences to make the lower end group set would all be mechanical parts they already produce and they would get better economy of scale out of producing and selling more batteries and electronic parts...

Admittedly the servo part of the derailleur would have to be reworked into a more affordable version...

Unless maybe they feel the greater mountain bike market isn’t ready for it yet?
4/9/2020 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 1:26pm
They can't release GX AXS, I just got XO AXS and I'd jump off my roof.
Primoz
4/9/2020 2:32pm
How do you sell GX AXS? Does it go on almost-top-tier bikes, where X01 now goes? What do people want, a mid range electronic group or a high end mechanical group (riding mechanical X01 I know where i fall)? Do you go aftermarket only? Etc.

Reverb AXS being cheaper would be very swell, but GX AXS... Meh?
Big Bird
4/9/2020 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 3:52pm
No word on GX AXS yet? I mean you can buy a smart light bulb that you can connect to wirelessly with an app on your...
No word on GX AXS yet?

I mean you can buy a smart light bulb that you can connect to wirelessly with an app on your phone to control it for like 15$

I feel like sram is gonna hold out on us for awhile to try recover their development cost by keeping it XX1 and X0 only

Making a GX AXS would cost them nothing in terms of the differences to make the lower end group set would all be mechanical parts they already produce and they would get better economy of scale out of producing and selling more batteries and electronic parts...

Admittedly the servo part of the derailleur would have to be reworked into a more affordable version...

Unless maybe they feel the greater mountain bike market isn’t ready for it yet?
Doddy touches on this subject on a recent GMBN Tech vid. It's just down to economics of scale. They'd be throwing away money if they did it right now. It's trickle down, not crash down.
brash
4/9/2020 7:01pm
it will be a couple of years atleast till AXS hits GX IMO.

It's like Di2, never filtered down. Once you try Di2 you are never the same, I love it.
tavaenga
4/9/2020 11:39pm
arek wrote:
Looks like the new rock shox fork will be named ZEB :) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/04/01/9415/s1200_zeb1.jpg[/img]
Looks like the new rock shox fork will be named ZEB Smile
Looks like the catalog had an update and ZEB has been pulled - no sign of it that I can see.
4/10/2020 7:05am
arek wrote:
Looks like the new rock shox fork will be named ZEB :) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/04/01/9415/s1200_zeb1.jpg[/img]
Looks like the new rock shox fork will be named ZEB Smile
tavaenga wrote:
Looks like the catalog had an update and ZEB has been pulled - no sign of it that I can see.
They probably saw the reaction to how stupid that name is and re-scheduled the entire launch. I know I would have...
4/10/2020 7:54am
They probably saw the reaction to how stupid that name is and re-scheduled the entire launch. I know I would have...
Guess we’ll know if they release a new Totem in a week’s time 😂
mwolpin
4/10/2020 10:46am
brash wrote:
it will be a couple of years atleast till AXS hits GX IMO. It's like Di2, never filtered down. Once you try Di2 you are never...
it will be a couple of years atleast till AXS hits GX IMO.

It's like Di2, never filtered down. Once you try Di2 you are never the same, I love it.
Not entirely true, at least on the road side. At first Di2 was only available in the Dura Ace group set. A few years later they released it for the mid-level Ultegra.

Then again, that is basically what SRAM has done, but made XX1 and X01 available at the same time. I'll stop talking.
4/10/2020 10:52am
mwolpin wrote:
Not entirely true, at least on the road side. At first Di2 was only available in the Dura Ace group set. A few years later they...
Not entirely true, at least on the road side. At first Di2 was only available in the Dura Ace group set. A few years later they released it for the mid-level Ultegra.

Then again, that is basically what SRAM has done, but made XX1 and X01 available at the same time. I'll stop talking.
XX1 and X01 are both top tier groups, where XX1 is more weight tuned for XC, with X01 more or less the same with a bit burlier build for trail and enduro.
4/10/2020 12:50pm
40mm ZEBra [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/04/10/9437/s1200_2020_04_10_1.jpg[/img]
40mm ZEBra
Probably for the Totem, as the design is of the older tools. New tools are different
kwapik
4/10/2020 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 12:58pm
Some of Vital's members are good detectives

Edit: after the above post, maybe not - but they are trying
mwolpin
4/10/2020 1:11pm
Did RockShox say when the Debonair Upgrade Kit would be available? I haven't seen anything about availability.
4/11/2020 6:42am
mwolpin wrote:
Did RockShox say when the Debonair Upgrade Kit would be available? I haven't seen anything about availability.
DoubleDown wrote:
That link says "special order" for me.
LBS said two weeeeeeks....
They must be out already, I bought one from them yesterday morning.
mwolpin
4/11/2020 8:52am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 8:53am
Correction - I ordered the full kit and there isn’t anything about special order.
4/11/2020 9:13am
This morning it looked like there were ads for a new Guerilla Gravity bike but the link was a 404 error and they seem to be down now. If you google Guerilla Gravity Gnarvana it still goes to a 404 error page.

So maybe a new 160 29er from GG? Vital's ad department should know for sure.
watchcwgo
4/11/2020 11:26am
The debonair air shafts are available in every size from RockShox as of last night here in the US
metabrz
4/11/2020 6:59pm
Cascade Components prototype link for the Transition Sentinel.

On stock stroke the link will provide 145mm at a 20% progression rate and 157mm with a 60mm stoke damper.

Yessir!

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest