2019 Racing Rumors

9/17/2018 5:38am
Im calling Athy's off trek, then trek forming a new factory team possibly with some British talent. Or transition Muc-off becomes trek Muc-off. Wherever the Athertons...
Im calling Athy's off trek, then trek forming a new factory team possibly with some British talent. Or transition Muc-off becomes trek Muc-off. Wherever the Athertons and Seagraves go, there needs to be a 29er in production. With Fox as a sponsor.
I doubt it would ever happen, but imagine the Seagraves and Athertons on one team!!
ck85
9/17/2018 5:49am
Athertons to Norco (29")
Kade to Scott ( Warner mentioned he wants to become a freerider)
Seagraves +1 to Trek Factory
9/17/2018 8:26am
ck85 wrote:
Athertons to Norco (29")
Kade to Scott ( Warner mentioned he wants to become a freerider)
Seagraves +1 to Trek Factory
where would that leave Blenki? I feel like I remember hearing that he resigned for 2 years last year.
I can see Kade going with the Seagraves some where, it would be really convenient for them as they all live under the same roof.
9/17/2018 10:13am
I can see Kade going to Scott if he’s available, they’re bound to want someone who can finally maybe get them a podium.
9/17/2018 11:28am
I can see Kade going to Scott if he’s available, they’re bound to want someone who can finally maybe get them a podium.
Kade is a while from getting onto a podium in elites. Probably closer to a Rampage invite based on his skills and aspirations. So his time on a race first program like Athertons is probably limited. Brendog and Kade teaming up for videoparts, events, and euro WC schedule on the other hand would make a lot of sense.

Kade to team seagrave also makes sense for plenty reasons. Especially if Seagraves move to a bigger sponsor than Transition. Perhaps Trek or YT depending on where the mob ends up.
ck85
9/17/2018 12:11pm
Kade is a while from getting onto a podium in elites. Probably closer to a Rampage invite based on his skills and aspirations. So his time...
Kade is a while from getting onto a podium in elites. Probably closer to a Rampage invite based on his skills and aspirations. So his time on a race first program like Athertons is probably limited. Brendog and Kade teaming up for videoparts, events, and euro WC schedule on the other hand would make a lot of sense.

Kade to team seagrave also makes sense for plenty reasons. Especially if Seagraves move to a bigger sponsor than Transition. Perhaps Trek or YT depending on where the mob ends up.
Seagraves on YT could work
Loki87
9/17/2018 1:36pm
Kade is a while from getting onto a podium in elites. Probably closer to a Rampage invite based on his skills and aspirations. So his time...

ck85 wrote:
It´s also literally the only way for a company like YT to "safe face" after loosing Gwin (If that was to happen), the narrative being something like "we didn´t loose our super champ, but we instead acquired a future champ in womens racing as our new top rider".
Would probably work out rather well for them from a marketing perspective.
Tahnee´s got a lot of untapped marketing potential and, maybe adding Vali into the mix, a girls first superteam does seem to have quite a bit of potantial imho.
Aushred
9/17/2018 2:08pm

ck85 wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
It´s also literally the only way for a company like YT to "safe face" after loosing Gwin (If that was to happen), the narrative being something...
It´s also literally the only way for a company like YT to "safe face" after loosing Gwin (If that was to happen), the narrative being something like "we didn´t loose our super champ, but we instead acquired a future champ in womens racing as our new top rider".
Tahnee´s got a lot of untapped marketing potential and, maybe adding Vali into the mix, a girls first superteam does seem to have quite a bit of potantial imho.
YT Mob isnt YTs Team, Its Martins, and Aarons, with YT as bike sponsor. So YT cant Loose anyone.
9/17/2018 2:22pm

More what I was getting as is that a current junior world champ has a better chance of getting a podium than a junior silver medalist from about 10 years ago!
depeche4
9/17/2018 2:48pm

More what I was getting as is that a current junior world champ has a better chance of getting a podium than a junior silver medalist...
More what I was getting as is that a current junior world champ has a better chance of getting a podium than a junior silver medalist from about 10 years ago!
Is that because 10 years ago it was Sam Dale in that silver metal position?

DubC
9/17/2018 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 4:42pm

ck85 wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
It´s also literally the only way for a company like YT to "safe face" after loosing Gwin (If that was to happen), the narrative being something...
If Gwin is off YT, I certainly would not assume YT needs to "save face". There are a lot of different logical reasons why that could happen and actually be the SMARTER move for YT. If Gwin is asking for some crazy $...it's a different situation than when he was asking for crazy $ a few years ago when he signed with YT. YT is in a different position and they have proven that they make WC winning bikes - something they couldn't say before. They got the mega hype they paid for and YT is more well know because of it. Also, Gwin didnt have a great year by his standards (even with the injuries considered) AND the younger contingent continues to be getting stronger and faster; bringing into question if he can continue his dominant ways even if 100% healthy. Having a contract year like that does not help with negotiation if you are asking for insane amounts of $. Much different than if you came off dominating the season and you can slam your bible on the negotiating table and say...GIVE ME THE MONEY!

So let's say Gwin and YT can't/don't come to an agreement, IMO the questions are: 1. Who can afford him? 2. Who needs him for their brand building? I would guess that list is pretty short:
Trek: Hype for the new session and limited WC DH Mens success since Gwin left.
Cube: Got dat cash and maybe want to stamp their name on the WC DH scene.
Giant: plenty of $ and limited WC DH success for a while now.

Loki87
9/17/2018 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 6:26pm
ck85 wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
DubC wrote:
If Gwin is off YT, I certainly would not assume YT needs to "save face". There are a lot of different logical reasons why that could...
If Gwin is off YT, I certainly would not assume YT needs to "save face". There are a lot of different logical reasons why that could happen and actually be the SMARTER move for YT. If Gwin is asking for some crazy $...it's a different situation than when he was asking for crazy $ a few years ago when he signed with YT. YT is in a different position and they have proven that they make WC winning bikes - something they couldn't say before. They got the mega hype they paid for and YT is more well know because of it. Also, Gwin didnt have a great year by his standards (even with the injuries considered) AND the younger contingent continues to be getting stronger and faster; bringing into question if he can continue his dominant ways even if 100% healthy. Having a contract year like that does not help with negotiation if you are asking for insane amounts of $. Much different than if you came off dominating the season and you can slam your bible on the negotiating table and say...GIVE ME THE MONEY!

So let's say Gwin and YT can't/don't come to an agreement, IMO the questions are: 1. Who can afford him? 2. Who needs him for their brand building? I would guess that list is pretty short:
Trek: Hype for the new session and limited WC DH Mens success since Gwin left.
Cube: Got dat cash and maybe want to stamp their name on the WC DH scene.
Giant: plenty of $ and limited WC DH success for a while now.

Oh, ´m totally with you on that one.
Of course YT got their moneys worth out of Gwin. I´ve been saying from the beginning, hiring Gwin was the perfect strategy to quickly establish themselves amongst the big names in the sport. What i meant by saving face is that in todays scene there are few personalities that carry the same prestige as a Aaron Gwin. Us nerds know there are lots of guys capable of winning, but Gwins chainless and tireless runs hold legendary status among the general public. He´s also already close to Greg in terms of wins even though he has lots of seasons ahead of him probably. He´s been as close to completely dominating the sport as noone besides Sam Hill before and people still perceive him that way.
So what i mean is that a company loosing such an important figure looses a lot of marketing power and while they won´t slip away into irrelevancy, YT need to keep momentum going now that they have established themselves as one of the big players.
For example, around here the Demo was considered THE BIKE to have when Gwin was on Specialized. They sold for ridiculous prices on the used market even though it was flooded with used Demos. Since Gwin left, there are a lot less Demos in the used market, prices are a lot cheaper and if you listen to all the younger riders THE BIKE to have now is the TUES even though a few years back most wouldn´t even have touched it with a stick. I´ve heard kids talk about the Tues as if it was a 10000$+ bike and many prefer it to the likes of Santa Cruz and other prestige brands.
Specialized all the while slipped back to being just another brand with no distinguishable feature.
So what i was getting at is that YT needs to at least keep themselves relevant to the younger group of riders which make up a huge portion of their future buyers group and somebody like Tahnee may fit perfectly into that.
She´ll keep the bike relevant while also avoiding the obvious problem of a winning rider leaving the company just for them to go back to mid pack results with the following rider. Add to that the "young talent" background which she also fits perfectly and you have a great new story to tell, taking a bit of the sting out of your no.1 guy leaving and making another brands bike popular.
Until some new young gun comes around, he´ll be the guy who sells your bikes and getting any other rider that doesn´t have legendary status such as the likes of Minnaar, Hart or Atherton to promote your bikes will surely result in a huge loss in prestige for a brand.
Hiring an established but young, attractive, top level female rider with a great personality seems like the next best thing to do to me in that situation, given they know how to utilize their riders as a marketing figure.
Karabuka
9/18/2018 12:07am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 12:08am
That last paragraph is funny, remove established and you have pretty much described junior female rider that turned everyones head this year AND has long term contract signed with yt :D
Oz_Taylor
9/18/2018 12:40am
Karabuka wrote:
That last paragraph is funny, remove established and you have pretty much described junior female rider that turned everyones head this year AND has long term...
That last paragraph is funny, remove established and you have pretty much described junior female rider that turned everyones head this year AND has long term contract signed with yt :D
Not taking anything away from Vali Höll, she's amazing. But the marketing value of a female junior or even a top female senior rider is small compared to a winning senior male rider.

Anyone thinking that Gwin won't be dominating world downhill for the foreseeable future needs to think again. Injury + new bike didn't work out for him. I'm not even a Gwin fan, but he's the real deal and any company who can afford to sign him should do.
Loki87
9/18/2018 4:49am
Karabuka wrote:
That last paragraph is funny, remove established and you have pretty much described junior female rider that turned everyones head this year AND has long term...
Well as correct as you may be, i would not label a 16 year old as being attractive Wink
Aside from that, yeah that´s why i proposed an all female team consisting of Tahnee and Vali under the Young Talent banner. That would make for a great story.
9/18/2018 5:33am
loic.penel wrote:
What do you think for Atherton's on Mérida ? ...
They barely can make an enduro bike, so no. I know several people working for Merida, and I cannot see that brand shifting to DH, and I cannot see the Athertons working with a brand with no f-ing experience with DH bikes.
Maxipedia
9/18/2018 6:26am
Not a fan of Merida, but with their money they can make anything they want. How good were their road bikes before Lampre and TdF and all that wind tunnel testing? If there is a budget and a team to develop around, I believe pretty much anything can be done, even the rocket science of DH bikes! Wink

Want further arguments? The shit geometry of all Giant DH bikes from the ATX through the DH Team to the first Glory. With Danny and Needles they started to fix those problems, because that was a serious effort. BTW, in 2004 Ben Reid was sponsored by Giant and instead of riding the current bike he rode a heavily modified ATX from '99 that he and his dad built. Came in 4th at the Worlds in Les Gets, 0.001 seconds of a third held by none other than then superstar Kyle Strait.

Suddenly all Mongoose/Iron Horse/Jamis/Giant branded M1's pop into mind and the sad team that was Sunn Montgenevre, with Sam Dale and Remi Thirion, who had such awesome DH steeds that they rode Transitions for a full season and didn't even care to hide them. Oh well...

Mx
9/18/2018 8:16am
I have to say, I do think it would be cool to see the Mob become Trek Factory Racing (which obviously it basically used to be under Martins TWR team). I’m not sure how that would fit with the Reece Wilson to Trek rumours, but I’d like to see him get a good factory ride next year.

FMD to YT with Kade and Vali joining would be cool too. Tahnee and Vali for race results (with Vali getting some solid mentoring at the same time) and Kade/Kaos doing the free-racer thing would work really well for YT as a brand, and would really fit with their free ride/young talent image.

I doubt it will all pan out that way, but I hope the moneys there and it does!
Primoz
9/18/2018 9:55am
Maxipedia wrote:
Not a fan of Merida, but with their money they can make anything they want. How good were their road bikes before Lampre and TdF and...
Not a fan of Merida, but with their money they can make anything they want. How good were their road bikes before Lampre and TdF and all that wind tunnel testing? If there is a budget and a team to develop around, I believe pretty much anything can be done, even the rocket science of DH bikes! Wink

Want further arguments? The shit geometry of all Giant DH bikes from the ATX through the DH Team to the first Glory. With Danny and Needles they started to fix those problems, because that was a serious effort. BTW, in 2004 Ben Reid was sponsored by Giant and instead of riding the current bike he rode a heavily modified ATX from '99 that he and his dad built. Came in 4th at the Worlds in Les Gets, 0.001 seconds of a third held by none other than then superstar Kyle Strait.

Suddenly all Mongoose/Iron Horse/Jamis/Giant branded M1's pop into mind and the sad team that was Sunn Montgenevre, with Sam Dale and Remi Thirion, who had such awesome DH steeds that they rode Transitions for a full season and didn't even care to hide them. Oh well...

Mx
I think Sunn folded by that point. Also, Julien Camelini. 3rd in Maribor in 2007. Starting number 234, signed, still hung on my wall :D (he lost the back number before the finish jump and i was daring enough to go pick it up from the middle of a hot track :D )
9/18/2018 10:18am
I have to say, I do think it would be cool to see the Mob become Trek Factory Racing (which obviously it basically used to be...
I have to say, I do think it would be cool to see the Mob become Trek Factory Racing (which obviously it basically used to be under Martins TWR team). I’m not sure how that would fit with the Reece Wilson to Trek rumours, but I’d like to see him get a good factory ride next year.

FMD to YT with Kade and Vali joining would be cool too. Tahnee and Vali for race results (with Vali getting some solid mentoring at the same time) and Kade/Kaos doing the free-racer thing would work really well for YT as a brand, and would really fit with their free ride/young talent image.

I doubt it will all pan out that way, but I hope the moneys there and it does!
That actually could work, since kade and Kaos are some of the most talented young riders out there, along with Vali. It also seems fitting that they have a 29er Tues in the works, seeing that both Kade and Kaos are on the big wheels.
9/18/2018 10:55am
If the Athertons leave Trek, I would love to see Trek grab Kade and keep him on as a future prospect... Let him race and do some C3 type of projects.. The kid looks like he could be the next Ratboy..

The idea of Trek becoming the FMD bike sponsor is an interesting one.. Tahnee is hands down one of the 3 fastest women right now.. They just would need a guy capable to get up towards the podium...

All the hype on Vali right now... Not sure how justified it is... She's young and fast, but her times are usually 5-10 in elite.. Not terrible, but not setting the world on fire.. However, I'm sure the speed will pick up as she gets more experience... Hopefully she can stay healthy and we see her full potential over the next few years..
Verbl Kint
9/18/2018 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 3:28pm
If the Athertons leave Trek, I would love to see Trek grab Kade and keep him on as a future prospect... Let him race and do...
If the Athertons leave Trek, I would love to see Trek grab Kade and keep him on as a future prospect... Let him race and do some C3 type of projects.. The kid looks like he could be the next Ratboy..

The idea of Trek becoming the FMD bike sponsor is an interesting one.. Tahnee is hands down one of the 3 fastest women right now.. They just would need a guy capable to get up towards the podium...

All the hype on Vali right now... Not sure how justified it is... She's young and fast, but her times are usually 5-10 in elite.. Not terrible, but not setting the world on fire.. However, I'm sure the speed will pick up as she gets more experience... Hopefully she can stay healthy and we see her full potential over the next few years..
There's a lot of hype on Vali because she's doing her times (5-10 in Elites) consistently on her FIRST year as a junior.

The last racer to this, regardless of gender, was Rachel Atherton.
9/18/2018 3:27pm
Some one is moving teams next year according to Sven at 16:24 in the newest syndicate team vid. Could it be someone off the syndicate, or whoever else was filming at that same spot in Lenzerhide.
big b
9/18/2018 6:55pm
Some one is moving teams next year according to Sven at 16:24 in the newest syndicate team vid. Could it be someone off the syndicate, or...
Some one is moving teams next year according to Sven at 16:24 in the newest syndicate team vid. Could it be someone off the syndicate, or whoever else was filming at that same spot in Lenzerhide.
Is he talking to Loris??
SB14
9/18/2018 11:01pm
Some one is moving teams next year according to Sven at 16:24 in the newest syndicate team vid. Could it be someone off the syndicate, or...
big b wrote:
Is he talking to Loris??
Or was there someone else taking photos at the same spot?

Even tho Sven is in the know, he is also a media squid, and he must know what to say and how to stir up rumors..

I feel like the #teamrumors has become a focus for the PR, and even fun for the influencers. All of the pros must have some bonuses or benefits from retweets/reposts/comments on there accounts..
Oz_Taylor
9/19/2018 2:37am
Maxipedia wrote:
Not a fan of Merida, but with their money they can make anything they want. How good were their road bikes before Lampre and TdF and...

Mx
What did Giant do to you?

If we are talking about Junior World Champs then you have to mention 2005 when Amiel Cavalier won gold riding a Giant Faith.

As with any bike, geometry development is ongoing. Also it's very unusual for the top pro guys to be riding unmodified, standard bikes. They all have tweaked geometry, shock lengths, etc. You wouldn't say a V10 or a Sender are shit because Greg and Troy are using modified linkages.

The Glorys that were available to the public were fine. The geometry was 'of the time' and was more suitable for mass market than the extreme geometry of a pro rider's bike. Giant is a huge company with a conservative approach which is reflected in their safer geometry. Sure it was fashionable to rock a 63 degree head angle in 2006 but the world wasn't ready.

Talking about rebranded M1s? That was 20+ years ago dude.

Maxipedia
9/19/2018 3:50am
I am talking about how keen serious riders or privateers were about buying Giants back then vs. nowadays, when they are much better. The comparison is Giants of back then vs. other bikes of back then and Giants of nowadays vs. other bikes of nowadays. I have nothing particular against Giants, I am actually happy they are making better bikes now.

And Amiel Cavalier winning on a (stock) Giant doesn't change much the fact that their bikes of 12-13 years before was far from the best.

Rebranded M1's were around 16 years ago and those Giants I mentioned were from 14 years ago. Much difference, eh? And I just mentioned them, don't worry! Wink

Post a reply to: 2019 Racing Rumors

The Latest