2019 Racing Rumors

1/16/2019 3:54pm
So sleuths correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the Scott prototype that was ripping around last year a high pivot FSR design with an idler pulley?? It looks like they've ditched the high pivot and idler wheels for a more standard FSR/four bar design. I feel like people were buzzing (myself included) because the proto design was so unique and drew a lot of curiosity (along with the GT which was essentially the same design). Now it's just another carbon FSR bike. . . Meh...
Mwood
1/16/2019 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 4:00pm
So as this is all about the rummazzzz, what major bike company/account got hackz'd?

all the big pro's both mtb and road follow it...

Also, it's for sale- $100 gets ya half a million....

Also, whats up with Dak Norton? no more Devinci?
1/16/2019 4:08pm
Check this page... it's got a lot of names other than Frew on it. http://www.konaworld.com/team_gravity.cfm Shelly Flood is crossing over to Enduro as well, DH team...
Check this page... it's got a lot of names other than Frew on it.

http://www.konaworld.com/team_gravity.cfm

Shelly Flood is crossing over to Enduro as well, DH team wise its looking like Fearon, Poulson and a new junior.
Frew is not on it. So frame sponsor only it seems.
luisgutrod
1/16/2019 4:10pm
danposs86 wrote:
No, it was pretty similar to the new carbon Gambler.

https://image.redbull.com/rbcom/052/2018-04-19/b93d3886-367d-4eef-aa3b-…
Interesting, I guess they were testing it out in both forms. Here's Brendog and Gaetan both using an idler pulley. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/16/7403/s1200_20190116_160751.jpg[/img]
Interesting, I guess they were testing it out in both forms. Here's Brendog and Gaetan both using an idler pulley.
they were experimenting but that got ditched then for this iteration...
Erotomania90
1/16/2019 5:18pm
So sleuths correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the Scott prototype that was ripping around last year a high pivot FSR design with an idler pulley...
So sleuths correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the Scott prototype that was ripping around last year a high pivot FSR design with an idler pulley?? It looks like they've ditched the high pivot and idler wheels for a more standard FSR/four bar design. I feel like people were buzzing (myself included) because the proto design was so unique and drew a lot of curiosity (along with the GT which was essentially the same design). Now it's just another carbon FSR bike. . . Meh...
I wonder if the frame design has anything to do with the switch to fox suspension.
Verbl Kint
1/16/2019 5:20pm
New rider on Pivot? No more Rupert Chapman? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/16/7404/s1200_Screenshot_20190116_201145.jpg[/img]
New rider on Pivot? No more Rupert Chapman?

I reckon it's the kiwi Matt Walker.
jasm
1/16/2019 5:23pm
Regarding the Athertons, it doesn't look like they will start a new bike company. They incorporated a new company in september 2018 which is in the forest development business. I am guessing that it is related more to the Dify Bike Park than a new bike company. Interestingly enough, Rachel has a bigger share than her brohers in this company, and Gill Harris (PR and communication of Atherton Racing) also have a stake in it (even tough it's quite small).

Aside from this business, Atherton Racing, and Dify Bike park, it doesn't look like any other corporation is registered to their names in the UK. Obviously, a new bike company would be incorporated as a separate entity.
Solidautomech
1/16/2019 6:03pm
So sleuths correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the Scott prototype that was ripping around last year a high pivot FSR design with an idler pulley...
In the photo it llooks like there might be a mounting hole where a high idler pulley would go... or am I just seeing things?
watchcwgo
1/16/2019 7:09pm
Oz_Taylor wrote:
Syndicate were on SC Reserve rims last season.

Not sure I understand your point really. Do you really think Fairclough buys his own rims?
Yea my bad, Wasn’t Minaar on enve still when they started running the 29 v10, had some tire retention problems if memory serves.

I know Brendan wouldn’t “buy” the enves but the press release didn’t mention a wheel sponsor, which usually means the team is paying for what they decide to run to some extent. The later post showed mavic as a sponsor which confirmed wheels.

Was this mentioned in this thread yet?

Big Bird
1/16/2019 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 8:01pm
In the photo it llooks like there might be a mounting hole where a high idler pulley would go... or am I just seeing things?
From the looks of things, it seems that the experimental idlers were simply screwed into the lower front pivot mounting hardware. The new all carbon frames might just come with pre tapped pivot hardware.
Wouldn't be hard at al to provide that option to the masses with a simple kit.

Sorry, I forgot to click "Quote last post only." No room for wasted space.
JamesR_2026
1/16/2019 8:00pm
The lower pivot on the new carbon Gambler is much lower than last years prototype.
The proto they were running last year appeared to be the old gambler front triangle with a new Horst link rear end bodged on. From what I heard (from a friend of one of the WC team) it had some wicked pedal kickback, which is why they then further bodged on an idler pulley. That's what prototypes are for - Trying new stuff. It doesn't always make it to production.
I would assume they have fixed up the kinematics on the new one and it doesn't need the idler pulley.
I think the new carbon one looks awesome!
Big Bird
1/16/2019 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 10:34pm
What he said^^^

In retrospect, the prototype frame was an FSR built around the old Gambler main frame. They did the idler simply to accommodate the higher original pivot. Once they decided to go full FSR, the lower pivot could just go right where they want it and have no use for the pulley anymore.
Primoz
1/16/2019 10:05pm
qblambda wrote:
No one earth experienced a good support from BOS tho...
And the Obsys is far away over 3kg!
I was afraid that's the case...
Primoz
1/16/2019 10:09pm
No idler, but i'd say the high pivot was there because the old single pivot front triangle was used, which locked in the pivot location in that case.
Primoz
1/16/2019 10:13pm
Big Bird wrote:
From the looks of things, it seems that the experimental idlers were simply screwed into the lower front pivot mounting hardware. The new all carbon frames...
From the looks of things, it seems that the experimental idlers were simply screwed into the lower front pivot mounting hardware. The new all carbon frames might just come with pre tapped pivot hardware.
Wouldn't be hard at al to provide that option to the masses with a simple kit.

Sorry, I forgot to click "Quote last post only." No room for wasted space.
Why put an idler on the carbon version when the pivot is so low? You'll bring in tons of squat if you want to mount the idler in such a location as to not interfere with the chainring.
Big Bird
1/16/2019 10:37pm
Primoz wrote:
Why put an idler on the carbon version when the pivot is so low? You'll bring in tons of squat if you want to mount the...
Why put an idler on the carbon version when the pivot is so low? You'll bring in tons of squat if you want to mount the idler in such a location as to not interfere with the chainring.
JamesR set me straight above.
bartman
1/16/2019 10:46pm
Primoz wrote:
Why put an idler on the carbon version when the pivot is so low? You'll bring in tons of squat if you want to mount the...
Big Bird wrote:
JamesR set me straight above.
#bikerumours
1/16/2019 11:28pm
iceman2058 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/16/7407/s1200_dr_evil.jpg[/img]

Is there a breakdown by how many users have how many views? I'm guilty of multiple views a day...
1/17/2019 12:18am
Is there a breakdown by how many users have how many views? I'm guilty of multiple views a day...
Alas, no. But they were accounted for! Wink
qblambda
1/17/2019 12:19am
It looks like this frame uses a fully re-designed front end and not just a carbon version of the old layout. The swingarm pivot has been lowered and moved back a bit for one. It'll be interesting to get the rest of the details when Scott makes a more official announcement. Wonder how much lighter it is?

Take a donkey, remove everything but the tail, and here you have the % of weight loss.
1/17/2019 12:20am
Kiwi Matt Walker on Pivot:

Tempe, Arizona - January 17, 2019 - Matt Walker joins Bernard Kerr, Emilie Siegenthaler and Ed Masters on the Pivot Factory Racing Team for the 2019 season. The 28-year-old racer from Christchurch, New Zealand will focus on Downhill World Cups, EWS and Crankworx events. “It’s the whole package that makes this the dream team,” says Walker. “I have amazing bikes and a bunch of legends to feed off and push each other all while having a few laughs along the way!”

Matt Walker is no stranger to Pivot Cycles racing them on and off early in his racing career. “I’m always drawn back to them as they have been hands down my favorite bikes to ride,” he says. Matt's first major race with the team will be Crankworx Rotorua - an event he excels at, leaving with the points lead in the King of Crankworx competition on more than one occasion.

Post a reply to: 2019 Racing Rumors

The Latest