2019 Racing Rumors

1/11/2019 6:24pm
Just a thought, if Gwin went to Trek and is one of the riders in the photo... what happens to his other sponsors? He's got years invested and monies coming in from them too. Can't see him walking away from them to be on Trek. And he set up the Mob, I can't imagine he wants to go back to factory team after being his own team owner/boss.

AG might be on a Trek frame, but I doubt the team.

I think the AG grips is just Trek trolling.

One thing is for sure, Tuesday can't come soon enough!!
Big Bird
1/11/2019 6:47pm
Just a thought, if Gwin went to Trek and is one of the riders in the photo... what happens to his other sponsors? He's got years...
Just a thought, if Gwin went to Trek and is one of the riders in the photo... what happens to his other sponsors? He's got years invested and monies coming in from them too. Can't see him walking away from them to be on Trek. And he set up the Mob, I can't imagine he wants to go back to factory team after being his own team owner/boss.

Gwin isn't a huge guy, but none of those pictured have the solidity that Gwin does.
diegoahh5
1/11/2019 8:45pm
Check out Gwin’s instagram story. Are those Intense Tazer ebikes? Wink

1/11/2019 8:59pm
diegoahh5 wrote:
Check out Gwin’s instagram story. Are those Intense Tazer ebikes? ;) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/11/7335/s1200_6FCCEAA9_A4B8_4DDA_B321_3A4CC646771D.jpg[/img]

I don't give a damn about the bikes, I just want those elbow pads, that chest protector, and the sheer bravery to wear a half face like that
metadave
1/11/2019 9:45pm
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/11/7334/s1200_F9A55ACF_360D_45E7_A20B_BC046CAA4490.jpg[/img]

1000% that's why I love it so much
1/11/2019 9:45pm
diegoahh5 wrote:
Check out Gwin’s instagram story. Are those Intense Tazer ebikes? ;) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/01/11/7335/s1200_6FCCEAA9_A4B8_4DDA_B321_3A4CC646771D.jpg[/img]

Definitely Tazer Ebikes...

I'm hearing the intense deal is happening.... wonder why they are waiting unless Aaron's current contract has a few more days left...
krabo83
1/12/2019 12:28am
diegoahh5 wrote:

I'm hearing the intense deal is happening.... wonder why they are waiting unless Aaron's current contract has a few more days left...
could be it, the gwin to YT announcment came pretty late in january or even february if i do remember correctly.
1/12/2019 12:44am
vweb wrote:
Yes.
Localdudes wrote:
Definitly Deity Pit Stop Jacket but never saw those shoes. Not in the 2019 Five Ten catalog. Looks more like Giro Jacket II shoes shape or...
Definitly Deity Pit Stop Jacket but never saw those shoes. Not in the 2019 Five Ten catalog. Looks more like Giro Jacket II shoes shape or other.
trex84 wrote:
quite possibly adidas shoes since brendog has been rocking the adidas/troy lee gear
Karabuka
1/12/2019 12:59am
Just a thought, if Gwin went to Trek and is one of the riders in the photo... what happens to his other sponsors? He's got years...

The thing is, registration deadline is 15th, UCI page however does not become available immediately, last year it happened around 10th of February... But this still gave some info on previously unannounced teams, I think UNNO was one of them...
LLLLL
1/12/2019 4:04am

Brexit vote?
giantkeeper
1/12/2019 6:46am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 6:47am
diegoahh5 wrote:

When you are the biggest and best name (relevant, popular etc) you announce last. Maintain the mystique and your KOM status. It’s just too bad about the Intense deal. The team they had was awesome.

I’m sure AG has full control of what he is doing, but I feel like he lowered standards (if) joining Intense. Maybe now they’ll stop with the WalMart color schemes!
Maxipedia
1/12/2019 6:51am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 12:35pm
I think it is rather a thing of announcing only when things are assembled as you want them to look like, so your image will be perceived just like you intended it to. Very aware of the UCI deadline, probably a lot of people work now very hard to to add the last touches to their packages, do photo shoots, work on websites etc.
1/12/2019 7:23am
When you are the biggest and best name (relevant, popular etc) you announce last. Maintain the mystique and your KOM status. It’s just too bad about...
When you are the biggest and best name (relevant, popular etc) you announce last. Maintain the mystique and your KOM status. It’s just too bad about the Intense deal. The team they had was awesome.

I’m sure AG has full control of what he is doing, but I feel like he lowered standards (if) joining Intense. Maybe now they’ll stop with the WalMart color schemes!
That is of course very subjective but I think Intense still has lots of mystique, makes great bikes and has big respect on the circuit. YT is more of a party brand to me although Gwin and Mulally did a lot to legitimize it.
1/12/2019 7:32am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 7:39am
Primoz wrote:
For an experienced web guy this troll would cost about 30 to 50 €. For an experienced web guy, this would be peanuts. And the ensuing...
For an experienced web guy this troll would cost about 30 to 50 €. For an experienced web guy, this would be peanuts. And the ensuing fallout in this thread would probably be worth it. FWIW.
It would be worth $50 to someone to get a reaction from a handful of strangers on an obscure Internet forum? I’d rather just buy a new tire...
mfoga
1/12/2019 7:39am
The third person in that AG story was on a Specialized E bike.
t.odd
1/12/2019 8:58am
diegoahh5 wrote:

I don't give a damn about the bikes, I just want those elbow pads, that chest protector, and the sheer bravery to wear a half face...
I don't give a damn about the bikes, I just want those elbow pads, that chest protector, and the sheer bravery to wear a half face like that
e-kooks, e-kooks everywhere
1/12/2019 10:18am
diegoahh5 wrote:

When you are the biggest and best name (relevant, popular etc) you announce last. Maintain the mystique and your KOM status. It’s just too bad about...

You couldn’t be more off the money with these comments. It would be an honor for any elite level rider to join a team on Intense frames. Your own lack of style has clouded your judgement. Intense has been back on the rise for several years now and the momentum is real. The rumors though...are they real? I guess you’ll have to wait to find out eh?
Big Bird
1/12/2019 11:18am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 11:19am
I'm watching the GMBN Christmas special celebrity quiz between Rob Warner and Rachel Atherton and I find it interesting that her team consists of Matt Jones who rides for Marin and Sam Rynolds who rides for Polygon which owns Marin and the DH bike patent. Just sayin', surely wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5ili-3k8g
Primoz
1/12/2019 11:53am
Primoz wrote:
For an experienced web guy this troll would cost about 30 to 50 €. For an experienced web guy, this would be peanuts. And the ensuing...
For an experienced web guy this troll would cost about 30 to 50 €. For an experienced web guy, this would be peanuts. And the ensuing fallout in this thread would probably be worth it. FWIW.
It would be worth $50 to someone to get a reaction from a handful of strangers on an obscure Internet forum? I’d rather just buy a...
It would be worth $50 to someone to get a reaction from a handful of strangers on an obscure Internet forum? I’d rather just buy a new tire...
When you earn 6+ digits a year, 50 USD is a days food for you. And i probably went way too far with 50 USD, domains can sometimes be bought for literally peanuts, people have servers running everywhere, so hosting a site is a 5 minute job, etc.

Imagine it like this, doing a gag like that for someone in the know is like you choosing which tire to choose for said 50 USD, while that would be something unimaginable for the average joe (because you get tires for 15 USD), just like it's unimaginable for you to put up a site like that.
TRex
1/12/2019 12:34pm
iwil815 wrote:
Can't say I am that surprised that Miranda is gone. She did some big things domestically but never did much on the WC, she had 1...
Can't say I am that surprised that Miranda is gone. She did some big things domestically but never did much on the WC, she had 1 top 10 this year and ended 14th overall out of a field of 30. And lets be honest, she won world champs on luck when every top rider crashed out and the UCI screwed up Myriam Nicole's timing.
Although last year wasn't the best (far from it and I am sure she will be the first one to admit that) she did well as...
Although last year wasn't the best (far from it and I am sure she will be the first one to admit that) she did well as a privateer before joining the 'factory' team. She was a real promise and back to good health I see no reason why she can't be podium material.

On a side note. It is a bit of a disgrace that a lot of factory teams are a sausage fest. Looking at the new Trek team: 4 blokes (in their defence, they have Katy Winton & Casey and ran Rachel for 3 years). Specialized: probably all blokes and so on. There aren't that many woman around as guys, I know. But there are quite a few who could do with some support they are not receiving atm. Remember 50% of people on this planet are female Wink

My girlfriend specifically looks at which teams support women before buying a newbike. So she just bought a Remedy instead of a Stumpjumper as Spesh is doing a lousy job representing women for such a big company.

Sorry for the off-topic!
I doubt it is the factory teams' fault. How many women are there to choose from at the top level, top meaning less than 30 seconds off the win? Might have five or six? And how many teams? There is Rachel. Top, factory team. Tracey Hannah, top team. Myriam Nicole? Top team. Tahnee? top team. Seigenthaler? Factory team. How much do you want to spend on a rider that doesn't get too much press, maybe 8th place woman? The argument of them getting more press is a separate issue, as the teams can only make decisions based on how it currently works.
Primoz
1/12/2019 12:38pm
How many of the women, that are outside your criteria, could be much closer to the top with proper support? And i don't mean factory support, i mean support. Any. I remember how Zarja had it and Monika Hrastnik is probably in a worse spot right now (Zarja was with Unior in the last season).

There are tons of smaller markets, where national distributors or even shops can't support riders, where family incomes are much smaller than say in USA, etc., so it's a lot harder to support kids properly to bring them up through the ranks and to enable them to keep racing once they reach elite levels. We talked about privateers in the top of the world, but even though you have privateers, i'd hazard a guess most of the best privateers still get a lot of the kit for free. There are people buying kit to race on the worlds level.
pklinke
1/12/2019 1:16pm
Miranda Miller to Kona. On her STRAVA, she has her bike as KP29. Did a little bit of googling, and came across the Kona Process 29...
Miranda Miller to Kona. On her STRAVA, she has her bike as KP29. Did a little bit of googling, and came across the Kona Process 29. Seems to match up with the Kona rumors from a week or so ago.
Can confirm, I was riding today in Santa Cruz (I live in San Jose, ~45min drive) with a buddy and saw Miranda Miller on a Kona Process with Remi Gauvin in the parking lot just as we were getting back
Maxipedia
1/12/2019 1:18pm
Primoz wrote:
How many of the women, that are outside your criteria, could be much closer to the top with proper support? And i don't mean factory support...
How many of the women, that are outside your criteria, could be much closer to the top with proper support? And i don't mean factory support, i mean support. Any. I remember how Zarja had it and Monika Hrastnik is probably in a worse spot right now (Zarja was with Unior in the last season).

There are tons of smaller markets, where national distributors or even shops can't support riders, where family incomes are much smaller than say in USA, etc., so it's a lot harder to support kids properly to bring them up through the ranks and to enable them to keep racing once they reach elite levels. We talked about privateers in the top of the world, but even though you have privateers, i'd hazard a guess most of the best privateers still get a lot of the kit for free. There are people buying kit to race on the worlds level.
THIS <3
Maxipedia
1/12/2019 1:19pm
Oh, and Zarja definitely had it and was up and coming. What a heart breaker that was, pfff... Monika? Hats off to her too!
Karabuka
1/12/2019 1:48pm
Maxipedia wrote:
Oh, and Zarja definitely had it and was up and coming. What a heart breaker that was, pfff... Monika? Hats off to her too!
Since you are talking about Monika, I've just went full Sherlock and found that the last story she posted on IG is almost certainly from Cannes, France. Troy Brosnan just traveled across the world to the south of France and Mark Wallace is there as well. Coincidence?
clem-mk
1/12/2019 2:05pm
Karabuka wrote:
Since you are talking about Monika, I've just went full Sherlock and found that the last story she posted on IG is almost certainly from Cannes...
Since you are talking about Monika, I've just went full Sherlock and found that the last story she posted on IG is almost certainly from Cannes, France. Troy Brosnan just traveled across the world to the south of France and Mark Wallace is there as well. Coincidence?
There was strong rumor about her in French team. I believe that's the case of canyon?
ianmo
1/12/2019 2:27pm
Joe Barnes to join up with the Athertons and race enduro for their new team and bikes. They’ll release a DH, Enduro and Trail bike to try get some market position
mfoga
1/12/2019 2:38pm
iwil815 wrote:
Can't say I am that surprised that Miranda is gone. She did some big things domestically but never did much on the WC, she had 1...
Can't say I am that surprised that Miranda is gone. She did some big things domestically but never did much on the WC, she had 1 top 10 this year and ended 14th overall out of a field of 30. And lets be honest, she won world champs on luck when every top rider crashed out and the UCI screwed up Myriam Nicole's timing.
Although last year wasn't the best (far from it and I am sure she will be the first one to admit that) she did well as...
Although last year wasn't the best (far from it and I am sure she will be the first one to admit that) she did well as a privateer before joining the 'factory' team. She was a real promise and back to good health I see no reason why she can't be podium material.

On a side note. It is a bit of a disgrace that a lot of factory teams are a sausage fest. Looking at the new Trek team: 4 blokes (in their defence, they have Katy Winton & Casey and ran Rachel for 3 years). Specialized: probably all blokes and so on. There aren't that many woman around as guys, I know. But there are quite a few who could do with some support they are not receiving atm. Remember 50% of people on this planet are female Wink

My girlfriend specifically looks at which teams support women before buying a newbike. So she just bought a Remedy instead of a Stumpjumper as Spesh is doing a lousy job representing women for such a big company.

Sorry for the off-topic!
TRex wrote:
I doubt it is the factory teams' fault. How many women are there to choose from at the top level, top meaning less than 30 seconds...
I doubt it is the factory teams' fault. How many women are there to choose from at the top level, top meaning less than 30 seconds off the win? Might have five or six? And how many teams? There is Rachel. Top, factory team. Tracey Hannah, top team. Myriam Nicole? Top team. Tahnee? top team. Seigenthaler? Factory team. How much do you want to spend on a rider that doesn't get too much press, maybe 8th place woman? The argument of them getting more press is a separate issue, as the teams can only make decisions based on how it currently works.
Should guys be butt hurt about the little support Trek has for their XC team? The XC team is spending s buttload of money on their women XC riders.
dd
1/12/2019 3:22pm
iwil815 wrote:

Sorry for the off-topic!
TRex wrote:
I doubt it is the factory teams' fault. How many women are there to choose from at the top level, top meaning less than 30 seconds...
The teams and companies involved can make decisions based on whatever they like - and if they want to grow the market in which they're weak (selling mountain bikes to women), it would makes sense to hire female riders and spend on promoting them.
Primoz
1/12/2019 3:53pm
Maxipedia wrote:
I was sure she was capable of a top 5 result with the support of Unior. Too bad about the injury in the last season and everything. She couldn't wait to get back to racing :/

I don't follow Monika's situation that much and i wish she gets some proper support given the results she's had.

Post a reply to: 2019 Racing Rumors

The Latest