2019 UCI World Cup Downhill Tech

unskilled
3/29/2019 12:12pm
qblambda wrote:
Those are extremely heavy considering the amount of carbon...
Dylan wrote:
Longer frames and larger wheels are where the extra weight would come from.

For comparison, Minnaar's 2011 worlds bike weighed in at 15.87 kg https://www.sicklines.com/2011/04/01/santa-cruz-syndicate-preps-for-wor…
qblambda wrote:
The Trek Session 9.9 29 XL is 15.36kg, aluminium wheels, saint groupset. Less than the 26" you pointed. [url=https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-session-99-29-review.html]https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-session-99-29-review.html[/url] The Cube 215 is also very competitive...
The Trek Session 9.9 29 XL is 15.36kg, aluminium wheels, saint groupset. Less than the 26" you pointed.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-session-99-29-review.html
The Cube 215 is also very competitive in aluminium...

Sure longer bike and bigger wheels may rise the weight, but years of research and experience are supposed to lower that weight too.
Those Santas are heavy.

I do ride a 29er 2018 Gambler in L +7 reach at 16.21kg tho...
You assume carbon is being used to reduce weight and not to improve stiffness.

Also, some structures and shapes are only possible in carbon. Trek's design, very intelligently, needs a strong seatpost due to the loads being put into it, but the TT and DT could be a little less material and come out with a lighter over all product.

jeff.brines
3/29/2019 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 3:49pm
A bit off topic, but I know when I weighed a few bikes of a few top US guys last year (enduro) most were above 35 pounds. I'm not top guy but even mine was between 35-40 with nothing crazy in either direction except DH tires.

Now that enduro racing is basically just racing DH multiple times in a day, it should be no surprise most of us are running DH tires, sometimes even adding cushcore or similar.

Add DH brakes, DH cockpit, a dropper...and yeah, its hard to keep things low, regardless of if your bike is a "DH" bike or "enduro" bike. Frankly, I'm not sure I even want my bike to be lighter - 35 pound bikes are stable, more planted and less likely to deflect.

Put another way, if there is one thing I can't get over having made the switch to moto, its how much grip I have. Yes, the tires have a lot to do with it but so does all that weight pushing down into the trail.

There is a "goldilocks" weight for these things. I'd wager 35-40lbs is about right, depending of course how much real pedaling you end up doing.

peecee
3/29/2019 3:51pm
Bikes are are getting faster, riders are getting faster and some riders are getting bigger, listen to Finn in the Wyn TV after Rotorua he's 20kilo heavier than he was 2 years ago but is now faster, a couple of pounds on a bike won't matter its all marketing so consumers who believe that rubbish keep buying stuff.

Sam Hills Nukeproof was like 40lb when everyone else was trying to get their weight as low as possible and he was still beating them.

Also a pound or 2 could be lost after after going to the toilet or gained if constipated :-) or in my case kilos haha
3/29/2019 5:28pm
My medium size Specialized stump jumper expert weighs in at around 34 lbs. or 15.4 kg. I have found a heavier bike plows through chunk better than a lighter bike. You also have to factor in the massive size of Greg. Weight is relative to an extent. Also look at the Orange DH bike that has mounting bolts for weights plates. They say it smooths everything out.
3/30/2019 12:29am
Not to mention that in Enduro specifically but DH too, you need to first finish before you can win, so durability takes priority over light weight with race bikes
sspomer
3/30/2019 7:29am
atherton's prototype DH bikes from the london bike show (and dan's BMX whip...so slick). this is "P4" or prototype 4. have been told that gee is on P5 and Rachel is on P6 right now. trying to find out what the differences in prototypes are. will update if i hear, or you all can update if you already know.

dan's bmx bike which is a "passion project".

3/30/2019 1:56pm
The Atherton bike is sick. Could be from my bmx background but I love that they used straight tubes. The designer in me HATES their logo though. Really wish they'd tried harder (or at all) on that.
4/3/2019 9:09pm
"Wasn't Max Commencal against carbon??"

Ha, going to have to walk that back "FRO", "Found a good environmentally friendly factory" etc.
Maybe had his racers clamoring for it and watched sales of carbon bikes...
qblambda
4/3/2019 11:23pm
"Wasn't Max Commencal against carbon??" Ha, going to have to walk that back "FRO", "Found a good environmentally friendly factory" etc. Maybe had his racers clamoring...
"Wasn't Max Commencal against carbon??"

Ha, going to have to walk that back "FRO", "Found a good environmentally friendly factory" etc.
Maybe had his racers clamoring for it and watched sales of carbon bikes...
jtm12090
4/4/2019 5:13am
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/04/03/7960/s1200_vitalmtb.jpg[/img] Wasn't Max Commencal against carbon??

Wasn't Max Commencal against carbon??
You realize that this photo surfaced on April 1st right? Pinkbike literally has it highlighted as one of the cheesy industry jokes...
Andy Mac
4/4/2019 5:32am

Sam Hill with a fresh new Nukeproof Dissent.
Verbl Kint
4/6/2019 3:59am
Aus Nationals and Oceania Champs (happening immediately after) will probably have more reveals in terms of bike and tech for World Cup riders.

I'm expecting online articles soon with bike checks and more. Also interested to see which riders not from Australia/NZ are racing in Bright, VIC.
4/6/2019 4:19am
Still surprises me how many DH pros still run the DT EX471 rims with 25mm internal width... guess this whole wider rim fad is just that
peecee
4/6/2019 2:45pm
Still surprises me how many DH pros still run the DT EX471 rims with 25mm internal width... guess this whole wider rim fad is just that
Definitely a fad, the mountain bike industry can’t stop the endless dribble of bullshit running down it chin but somehow consumers lap it up!

I ran Sun Mammoth rims from 98-04 they were bombproof and 30mm wide, what was happening in years ago is happening now ie: wide rims, high pivot points/idler pulleys, twin shocks (if the new cannondale is anything to go buy, 2 different sized wheels, and even eleastomers haha.

Ps: can’t wait for the new season to see everyone’s team colours especially the syndicate!
Big Bird
4/6/2019 6:50pm
peecee wrote:
Definitely a fad, the mountain bike industry can’t stop the endless dribble of bullshit running down it chin but somehow consumers lap it up! I ran...
Definitely a fad, the mountain bike industry can’t stop the endless dribble of bullshit running down it chin but somehow consumers lap it up!

I ran Sun Mammoth rims from 98-04 they were bombproof and 30mm wide, what was happening in years ago is happening now ie: wide rims, high pivot points/idler pulleys, twin shocks (if the new cannondale is anything to go buy, 2 different sized wheels, and even eleastomers haha.

Ps: can’t wait for the new season to see everyone’s team colours especially the syndicate!
#TeamColours thread...
JackRice
4/7/2019 11:56am
Dylan wrote:
Troy running what looks to be some type of telemetry device at national champs. Measuring braking forces maybe? View this post on Instagram A post shared...
Troy running what looks to be some type of telemetry device at national champs. Measuring braking forces maybe?

Its telemetry that measures all aspects of the bike. Brakes, suspension, everything. Whats next to the brake is the button that turns it on. If you look at Mark Wallace's bike in the Windrock PIT BITS you can see a few more sensors. Really cool and really "ahead" in terms of tech and figuring out how to get these milliseconds.
Dylan
4/7/2019 2:25pm
JackRice wrote:
Its telemetry that measures all aspects of the bike. Brakes, suspension, everything. Whats next to the brake is the button that turns it on. If you...
Its telemetry that measures all aspects of the bike. Brakes, suspension, everything. Whats next to the brake is the button that turns it on. If you look at Mark Wallace's bike in the Windrock PIT BITS you can see a few more sensors. Really cool and really "ahead" in terms of tech and figuring out how to get these milliseconds.
Sounds like a similar sort of setup to what Danny Hart was running last year
https://youtu.be/nVJZ3ag8gLU
Dylan
4/8/2019 12:04am
Well spotted. Those are definitely 29er boxxer lowers on Kye's Sender
peecee
4/8/2019 4:51am
Dylan wrote:
Well spotted. Those are definitely 29er boxxer lowers on Kye's Sender
29/27.5 maybe frame looks exactly the same and he still seems to be riding a vivid which these guys were in for most of last year when everyone else was on the new deluxe shocks.
qblambda
4/8/2019 5:06am
peecee wrote:
29/27.5 maybe frame looks exactly the same and he still seems to be riding a vivid which these guys were in for most of last year...
29/27.5 maybe frame looks exactly the same and he still seems to be riding a vivid which these guys were in for most of last year when everyone else was on the new deluxe shocks.
all 27.5 frames with long base setup get clearance for 29. He must be running custom linkages to lower the BB.
4/8/2019 5:47am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2019 5:47am
peecee wrote:
29/27.5 maybe frame looks exactly the same and he still seems to be riding a vivid which these guys were in for most of last year...
I dunno, to my eye anyways, if you compare the two back wheels which are next to each other, Troy's seems visually smaller...
watchcwgo
4/8/2019 2:21pm
Zipp enters MTB world as predicted, spotted on JC and ropelatos bikes amongst others. Basically a mass market version of what Bouwmeester was doing in Australia until he joined Crank Bros.

Post a reply to: 2019 UCI World Cup Downhill Tech

The Latest