2018 Racing Rumors

6/14/2018 6:13am
Probably, although the Boxxer is a 650b model it does have a big spacer under the headtube.
Rear dropouts also seem to be adjustable.
krabo83
6/14/2018 8:36am
Probably, although the Boxxer is a 650b model it does have a big spacer under the headtube.
where do you see that it‘s a 650B boxxer? the new boxxer is available in 29 as well. on a some pictures it looks like a 29er sender, but on the one on the washingstand i‘m not so sure anymore.
6/14/2018 8:55am
krabo83 wrote:
where do you see that it‘s a 650B boxxer? the new boxxer is available in 29 as well. on a some pictures it looks like a...
where do you see that it‘s a 650B boxxer? the new boxxer is available in 29 as well. on a some pictures it looks like a 29er sender, but on the one on the washingstand i‘m not so sure anymore.
Yeah, like Aksel said, offset on the 650b is pretty differentiable to the 29er. And the one on the pics is a 650b Boxxer for sure.
On the other hand, the pic of the Sender with Fox suspension it does look like a 29" wheel, but I don´t really know about that one.
ardor
6/14/2018 9:07am
krabo83 wrote:
where do you see that it‘s a 650B boxxer? the new boxxer is available in 29 as well. on a some pictures it looks like a...
Yeah, like Aksel said, offset on the 650b is pretty differentiable to the 29er. And the one on the pics is a 650b Boxxer for sure...
Yeah, like Aksel said, offset on the 650b is pretty differentiable to the 29er. And the one on the pics is a 650b Boxxer for sure.
On the other hand, the pic of the Sender with Fox suspension it does look like a 29" wheel, but I don´t really know about that one.
It's entirely possible they are testing a shorter offset (regarding the RockShox setup), but yeah, it does look like a 650 when stacked against the Fox setup – it would be surprising if that one wasn't 29.
6/14/2018 9:12am
krabo83 wrote:
Yeah, like Aksel said, offset on the 650b is pretty differentiable to the 29er. And the one on the pics is a 650b Boxxer for sure...
ardor wrote:
It's entirely possible they are testing a shorter offset (regarding the RockShox setup), but yeah, it does look like a 650 when stacked against the Fox...
It's entirely possible they are testing a shorter offset (regarding the RockShox setup), but yeah, it does look like a 650 when stacked against the Fox setup – it would be surprising if that one wasn't 29.
Possible, but unlikely IMO, seeing they were recently released (the RS Boxxer) and given the spacer under the headtube.
6/14/2018 9:31am
peecee wrote:
Canyon team doing some testing over at Leogang [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6421/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.12_pm.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6422/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.23_pm.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6423/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.34_pm.jpg[/img]
Canyon team doing some testing over at Leogang

1st pic may it be 29" in front & 27.5" rear?
ardor
6/14/2018 9:33am
peecee wrote:
Canyon team doing some testing over at Leogang [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6421/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.12_pm.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6422/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.23_pm.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/14/6423/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_6.32.34_pm.jpg[/img]

Hard to say from these pics but it does look like that, aye.
6/14/2018 10:01am
krabo83 wrote:
ardor wrote:
It's entirely possible they are testing a shorter offset (regarding the RockShox setup), but yeah, it does look like a 650 when stacked against the Fox...
yep they were testing also 29ers....Troy and other guys from canyon (maybe 5 guys) were running two bikes during all day (27,5 and 29) .....funny was, that they were using fox 29 forks with ordinary "fox40" decals, but compare to other bikes (27,5) that was "fox 49" fork for sure.
jackhill
6/14/2018 10:12am
Honestly with the disgusting amount of offset on the 29 boxxer I'd try the same thing. Those few millimeters make a big handling difference imo
unskilled
6/14/2018 10:35am
No one used the perspective and known measurement of the stanction diameter to better hypothesize the diameter of the wheel? I'm disappointed in the internet today.
kwapik
6/14/2018 10:45am
unskilled wrote:
No one used the perspective and known measurement of the stanction diameter to better hypothesize the diameter of the wheel? I'm disappointed in the internet today.
We thought you were going to figure it out for us :-)
6/14/2018 11:13am
The spacer under the headtube possibly indicates a convertible frame that can be ridden in 27,5“ and 29“, similar as the Rockymountain DH bike. The raw spacer could well be 3/4“.
LTrumpore
6/14/2018 11:30am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 11:39am
unskilled wrote:
UCI rules state both wheels have to be the same size, and wide-angle camera lenses distort size/distance especially up close and at the corners of the frame (this is how some action shots can make a bike look like it is running a 20/40" combo, or one hand is twice the size of the other if the photographer's not careful). It may not look like it, but measure them on the screen and the back wheel is probably going to end up being the bigger of the two.

Not the most exciting explanation, but what you're seeing is just camera lens distortion Wink
krabo83
6/14/2018 12:14pm
Mo(n)arch wrote:
The spacer under the headtube possibly indicates a convertible frame that can be ridden in 27,5“ and 29“, similar as the Rockymountain DH bike. The raw...
The spacer under the headtube possibly indicates a convertible frame that can be ridden in 27,5“ and 29“, similar as the Rockymountain DH bike. The raw spacer could well be 3/4“.
that would be great, like the new kona operate carbon. 29 or 27,5 with just one frame.
grinch
6/14/2018 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 1:51pm
I'm a totally noob to the mtb world, coming from the moto scene and falling totally in love with pedals....I love the relation in technology from...
I'm a totally noob to the mtb world, coming from the moto scene and falling totally in love with pedals....I love the relation in technology from mtb to moto. Don't scold me too bad for this question but how long have the full on triple clamps been used on the mountain bikes? What I mean is the forks go all the way to the top of the clamps like a dirt bike? I've never seen that before.
Big Bird wrote:
I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the...
I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the first 20mm through axle too.Still have mine.
Wow I have been under a damn rock!!! I need a wholesale parts site where are you guys doing all your online purchases at ??
The Judy dho was released in 96 and I seem to remember that being 9mm quick release. I think whyte and hannebrink and a couple other small companies had triple clamps and thru axles out before that. Not very good forks for dependability and they needed constant cleaning and lining to keep them working well. I first saw the 6” Boxer with 20mm thru axle at the ‘96 mt st. Anne World Cup. An early WC that year so June 15. I quickly realized my specialized fsr with 4” Judy and msr coil springs and the just released v brakes wasn’t quite up to snuff. The boxxer was pre released to several top pros(lopes on an intense m1, mike king on the pre released gt lobo w boxxer, Michael ronning on a super slacked out fisher custom bike that might not even be slack by modern standards and despite it being a ust bike seemed incredibly plush, and a few others). Most had triples and disc brakes or atleast the competitive ones. Even recent top dogs that didn’t have them were suddenly nowhere. Kawasaki even had a bike with an adjustable kx80 fork. I heard it was 6-8 inches but they were riding it at 6 because they thought 8 was too much(crazy talk). Tattoo Lou was their rider

6/14/2018 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 3:58pm
peecee wrote:

C'mon, we're due a new Strive before a new Sender!
jimmypop
6/14/2018 7:07pm
Big Bird wrote:
I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the...
I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the first 20mm through axle too.Still have mine.
Wow I have been under a damn rock!!! I need a wholesale parts site where are you guys doing all your online purchases at ??
grinch wrote:
The Judy dho was released in 96 and I seem to remember that being 9mm quick release. I think whyte and hannebrink and a couple other...
The Judy dho was released in 96 and I seem to remember that being 9mm quick release. I think whyte and hannebrink and a couple other small companies had triple clamps and thru axles out before that. Not very good forks for dependability and they needed constant cleaning and lining to keep them working well. I first saw the 6” Boxer with 20mm thru axle at the ‘96 mt st. Anne World Cup. An early WC that year so June 15. I quickly realized my specialized fsr with 4” Judy and msr coil springs and the just released v brakes wasn’t quite up to snuff. The boxxer was pre released to several top pros(lopes on an intense m1, mike king on the pre released gt lobo w boxxer, Michael ronning on a super slacked out fisher custom bike that might not even be slack by modern standards and despite it being a ust bike seemed incredibly plush, and a few others). Most had triples and disc brakes or atleast the competitive ones. Even recent top dogs that didn’t have them were suddenly nowhere. Kawasaki even had a bike with an adjustable kx80 fork. I heard it was 6-8 inches but they were riding it at 6 because they thought 8 was too much(crazy talk). Tattoo Lou was their rider

Now that's a piece of history! I was at that race as well. Thanks for the memories.
grinch
6/14/2018 8:17pm
grinch wrote:
The Judy dho was released in 96 and I seem to remember that being 9mm quick release. I think whyte and hannebrink and a couple other...

jimmypop wrote:
Now that's a piece of history! I was at that race as well. Thanks for the memories.
The sport was healthy then. It was F1 level almost more than today. You had to have custom stuff then, sport was advancing so fast .That was the first of 6 pages(pre qualification days). 188 starters. Was digging thru my paperwork last week to redo my work resume and just happened to find that and it being the very first boxxer(good dh fork) sighting. The next year you could buy a Santa Cruz super 8 complete bike for a decent price w boxxer
Jonzilla
6/14/2018 11:35pm
switchable between tweeener an niner???
6/15/2018 1:21am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 1:24am
peecee wrote:

I think this nonsense for races because UCI regulation says the wheel size must be the same (front and rear)...also this nonsense...(sorry for my english)

oliosky
6/15/2018 4:45am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 4:47am
The rear wheel is on a different axle setting between pics. Like said before, its likely 27.5/29 options on same frame (and I reckon they could only get their hands on a fox 49 to run it in 29 setting...)

bizutch
6/15/2018 9:32pm
Big Bird wrote:
grinch wrote:

grinch will not be allowed to captain any vessel iI am on. He'd run us aground.
grinch
6/16/2018 12:46am
grinch wrote:

bizutch wrote:
grinch will not be allowed to captain any vessel iI am on. He'd run us aground.
Can never have enough suspension , especially if ya run a ground. Could’ve used our fancy toys then. I may single handedly been responsible for the introduction of quails . Luca should thank me now. A nomad should suffice
peecee
6/17/2018 11:51pm
Ive just seen another picture of the new boxer next to the 1998 boxxer, and for teh life of me I don't know why Rockshox/SRAM didn't make a 20th anniversary boxxer like the one I have just mocked up.

The advertising around the fork was history and they totally missed the boat, they did it for the 10th anniversary but why not the 20th and more significant date.

Who here agrees with me ?

Maxipedia
6/18/2018 1:02am
@peecee I'm totally with you, dude! I think current day RockShox graphics are among the most boring and non-creative I have ever seen, but then again the entire industry is at fault in this respect, if you ask me. I don't know how this exactly works internally, but I am sure SRAM has an army of gifted graphic designers who can pull of the most awesome of graphics. It might be fantasy, but if I was in charge somehow at SRAM, I would supply each aftermarket fork with three different sticker kits, so everybody can do something of their own taste. It can't be that expensive to add those to a package! Hell, I'd even make a contest and give a prize to the guy who comes up with the best stickerjob and draw a shitload of social media attention, but maybe this is just a dreamy perspective in an actually pragmatic world.

Back to oldschool fork stickers, I have seen a few days ago on that other site, cough-cough, a Morpheus with a Pike DJ that was made to look like a '97 Judy SL and it made me smile. First of all, I just got myself '97 Judy SL stickers in 1.2x size for my Lyrik and it made me feel good about myself. Second, everybody was praising the throwback, but I think it was rather bland and missing the point. Why? Because in 1997-1998 RockShox had a factory riders only Judy DS that was made for Dual Slalom and sported a 20 mm through-axle plus a cool red color like the Judy DH/DHO and a deep blue core made from decals. Now THAT would've been a nice throwback, especially for a DJ bike.

Anyway, I also just got 1.2x size DHO stickers for my 2016 Boxxer which will have painted lowers in the next couple of weeks. Plus Slayer-themed decals for my M9. Stay tuned! :D

I just want to add that RockShox did a stellar job with the new Boxxer what the crowns are concerned and I am sure the way the fork works too, but I just can't understand the utterly boring graphics. And I can't believe my favourite design of RockShox forks these days is that stealth black on black...

Peace of from Transylvania,
Mx
Primoz
6/18/2018 7:43am
Having a small amount of simple designs instead of weird designs from the community gives a cohesive brand and/or product outlook, making you instant recognizable.

What do you think is on a bike, if you see a completely black fork with yellow/gold knobs? Or a yellow coil spring? What about an orange spring or golden stanchions on a fork/shock? What about a golden cassette with a black largest cog?

Etc. It might be boring, but it's instantly recognizable.

But, does anyone remember custom Boxxer graphics from the 32 mm days? The ones factory riders got after a big win.
Big Bird
6/18/2018 7:59am
Maxipedia wrote:
@peecee I'm totally with you, dude! I think current day RockShox graphics are among the most boring and non-creative I have ever seen, but then again...
@peecee I'm totally with you, dude! I think current day RockShox graphics are among the most boring and non-creative I have ever seen, but then again the entire industry is at fault in this respect, if you ask me. I don't know how this exactly works internally, but I am sure SRAM has an army of gifted graphic designers who can pull of the most awesome of graphics. It might be fantasy, but if I was in charge somehow at SRAM, I would supply each aftermarket fork with three different sticker kits, so everybody can do something of their own taste. It can't be that expensive to add those to a package! Hell, I'd even make a contest and give a prize to the guy who comes up with the best stickerjob and draw a shitload of social media attention, but maybe this is just a dreamy perspective in an actually pragmatic world.

Back to oldschool fork stickers, I have seen a few days ago on that other site, cough-cough, a Morpheus with a Pike DJ that was made to look like a '97 Judy SL and it made me smile. First of all, I just got myself '97 Judy SL stickers in 1.2x size for my Lyrik and it made me feel good about myself. Second, everybody was praising the throwback, but I think it was rather bland and missing the point. Why? Because in 1997-1998 RockShox had a factory riders only Judy DS that was made for Dual Slalom and sported a 20 mm through-axle plus a cool red color like the Judy DH/DHO and a deep blue core made from decals. Now THAT would've been a nice throwback, especially for a DJ bike.

Anyway, I also just got 1.2x size DHO stickers for my 2016 Boxxer which will have painted lowers in the next couple of weeks. Plus Slayer-themed decals for my M9. Stay tuned! :D

I just want to add that RockShox did a stellar job with the new Boxxer what the crowns are concerned and I am sure the way the fork works too, but I just can't understand the utterly boring graphics. And I can't believe my favourite design of RockShox forks these days is that stealth black on black...

Peace of from Transylvania,
Mx
I've still got an old Judy DS too. The shop that I used to work for was just up the street from the old Santa Cruz Rock Shox location. We'd get the new goods sometimes before the Pros did, just because we were a walk up the street away instead of days away for shipping to Pros like Peatty. I'd already mated some DHO lowers to Judy DH uppers and just had to bribe my connection at Rock Shox with a fat burrito to get the limited edition blue stickers.
Maxipedia
6/18/2018 8:32am
@Primoz - Of course, it totally makes sense. But I still think a special occasion now and then won't hurt the recognizability of the brand. Speaking of this, besides the black stanchions what do you think makes a RockShox a RockShox, looks-wise?

@Big Bird - Such a cool story! I remember first seeing one in a German MTB mag on the bike of Stefan Herrman, a factory Rotwild RDS with Spinergys and Gustav M's, loaded with Race Face and Syncros bits, when Syncros was still Syncros and not what it sadly became today. I will look it up, if you guys are interested. Smile

Mx

Post a reply to: 2018 Racing Rumors

The Latest