2018 Racing Rumors

LTrumpore
1/7/2018 2:15am
Hint: at least one of these observations is incorrect.
Primoz
1/7/2018 3:33am
I'd say it's the headangle that's the issue, seeming slacker than it is. Maybe due to the photo angle?
marqueski12
1/7/2018 4:16am
Primoz wrote:
Lew Buchanan bike is not a yeti, the fork is too slack and the seattube too steep to be an SB6. Also, RM guys are on...
Lew Buchanan bike is not a yeti, the fork is too slack and the seattube too steep to be an SB6. Also, RM guys are on ZTR wheels and Urge helmets FWIW.

For an Ibis, the fork is too slack and the seatstays too low.

I was thinking about alchemy, but theirs are too steep in the fork and too slack in the seattube as well. The drivetrain and rims would fit though.

Intense? Though that doesn't have a fork as slack as this, though now i'm thinking if there could be an angleset used.
Head angle too slack to be a Yeti or an Ibis or an Alchemy or and Intense?? First off, do you have your protractor out measuring the angles? Second most modern day enduro bike are pretty slacked out and most of the those bikes you listed have very similar head angles. The SB6 is 65.5°; the Ibis Mojo HD 4 is 64.9°; the Intense Tracer is 65.5°.
So even if you are measuring the head angle of Lew's bike in the picture with an actual protractor and comparing it to the bikes you listed it would be too close to tell really. Sounds like you are just eyeing it and comparing with other pictures online.
peecee
1/7/2018 4:26am
It’s probably nothing but Loic has not tagged Specialized in his happy new year nor the 2018 post and the post after that is him riding a Lapierre...
JoeyHooo
1/7/2018 5:59am
peecee wrote:
It’s probably nothing but Loic has not tagged Specialized in his happy new year nor the 2018 post and the post after that is him riding...
It’s probably nothing but Loic has not tagged Specialized in his happy new year nor the 2018 post and the post after that is him riding a Lapierre...
Loic signed for 3 years with Specialized. 2018 gonna be the third year.
Primoz
1/7/2018 6:13am
Head angle too slack to be a Yeti or an Ibis or an Alchemy or and Intense?? First off, do you have your protractor out measuring...
Head angle too slack to be a Yeti or an Ibis or an Alchemy or and Intense?? First off, do you have your protractor out measuring the angles? Second most modern day enduro bike are pretty slacked out and most of the those bikes you listed have very similar head angles. The SB6 is 65.5°; the Ibis Mojo HD 4 is 64.9°; the Intense Tracer is 65.5°.
So even if you are measuring the head angle of Lew's bike in the picture with an actual protractor and comparing it to the bikes you listed it would be too close to tell really. Sounds like you are just eyeing it and comparing with other pictures online.
Indeed i am doing it by eye, but mostly basing it off the fact, that it looks like the actual seat tube angle is much steeper than the head angle. This is VERY rare in these days bikes, that's what intrigued me. Modern bikes mostly have nearly parallel seat and head tube angles. But apparently it's just the angle of the photo...
watchcwgo
1/7/2018 8:16am
Not sure if this bikemag POD is recent, but loic on a gold stanchion fork with drive side axle lever. Definitely not fox, maybe a proto ohlins? He was always on sram at lapierre from memory. https://www.bikemag.com/photo-of-the-day/ale-di-lullo-84/

Does anyone have sponsor info for canyon or kona ews? Looking at Lew's bike more, it looks really low slung in the mainframe and rear triangle, would fit either of those brands.
Primoz
1/7/2018 8:26am
Canyon and Kona are full Sram in DH WC, likewise for canyon in enduro with both their teams on Mavic wheels. No idea about Kona in enduro.

As for Bruni, the Specialized team got off the Sram wagon and cherry picked their components for 2017 already with Ohlins taking care of the squish.
1/7/2018 9:33am
Primoz wrote:
Lew Buchanan bike is not a yeti, the fork is too slack and the seattube too steep to be an SB6. Also, RM guys are on...
Lew Buchanan bike is not a yeti, the fork is too slack and the seattube too steep to be an SB6. Also, RM guys are on ZTR wheels and Urge helmets FWIW.

For an Ibis, the fork is too slack and the seatstays too low.

I was thinking about alchemy, but theirs are too steep in the fork and too slack in the seattube as well. The drivetrain and rims would fit though.

Intense? Though that doesn't have a fork as slack as this, though now i'm thinking if there could be an angleset used.
I just don't understand why he would hint that he's on a Yeti and not actually be on one...
JCL
1/7/2018 9:46am
Head angle too slack to be a Yeti or an Ibis or an Alchemy or and Intense?? First off, do you have your protractor out measuring...
Primoz wrote:
Indeed i am doing it by eye, but mostly basing it off the fact, that it looks like the actual seat tube angle is much steeper...
Indeed i am doing it by eye, but mostly basing it off the fact, that it looks like the actual seat tube angle is much steeper than the head angle. This is VERY rare in these days bikes, that's what intrigued me. Modern bikes mostly have nearly parallel seat and head tube angles. But apparently it's just the angle of the photo...
Most modern AM bikes SA are +74 degrees, quite a few 75 or 76 degrees like Enduro.

How is that parallel to a 65 degree HA?
Primoz
1/7/2018 9:49am
JCL wrote:
Most modern AM bikes SA are +74 degrees, quite a few 75 or 76 degrees like Enduro.

Notice the word 'actual' in front of the seat tube in my post. What you are talking about is the virtual or effective seat tube angle at effective horizontal top tube height.

This is a major gripe of mine in modern bike industry, as the vast majority of frames are nearly useless in XL sizes for us taller riders due to these slack ACTUAL seat tube angles.

As for the values, the old 27,5 Reign has an effective angle of 73° with the actual angle of the seat post between 60 and 65°. So slacker than the head angle.
JCL
1/7/2018 11:41am
JCL wrote:

Primoz wrote:
Notice the word 'actual' in front of the seat tube in my post. What you are talking about is the virtual or effective seat tube angle...
Notice the word 'actual' in front of the seat tube in my post. What you are talking about is the virtual or effective seat tube angle at effective horizontal top tube height.

This is a major gripe of mine in modern bike industry, as the vast majority of frames are nearly useless in XL sizes for us taller riders due to these slack ACTUAL seat tube angles.

As for the values, the old 27,5 Reign has an effective angle of 73° with the actual angle of the seat post between 60 and 65°. So slacker than the head angle.
You can tell the angle from that tiny bit of seat post exposed?

Fair play.

That said I agree with the actual/effective coments. It's obvious SA angles and rear centre lengths should be size specific. Oh well, at least we got Boost...
depeche4
1/7/2018 12:14pm
Rebranding all as adidas?

New Mondraker team drops on Monday?
Primoz
1/7/2018 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 12:38pm
https://i.imgur.com/2hQXwpT.png

The seat tube does seem to point relatively directly to the BB, which is another thing that is less than common on modern bikes, but does fit the Yeti. And i did just notice he has a foot on the pedal, possibly squishing the bike a bit in the rear and greatly slackening the angles by doing that.

http://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb6

I did dismiss the Yeti only because of the triple decal on the hoops, but the SB6 possibly has the seatstays a bit higher up.

Will see soon enough Smile

EDIT: yes, i am aware of what Lee said.
darkcanuck
1/7/2018 1:19pm
metadave wrote:
Elaborate?
The head office/factory outlet did get shut down by Adidas. The brand is still alive but its being managed out of Germany by Adidas people.

5.10 in North America is only a sales team now via a third party/company.
suapfast
1/7/2018 5:04pm

From what we can see brook is running same components as the Mondraker team bikes...
depeche4
1/7/2018 5:41pm
dirtbeard wrote:
George b back on 100% same as brook
So where is he going? I know that the two are not on the same team, according to George.
1/7/2018 5:43pm
watchcwgo wrote:
Not sure if this bikemag POD is recent, but loic on a gold stanchion fork with drive side axle lever. Definitely not fox, maybe a proto...
Not sure if this bikemag POD is recent, but loic on a gold stanchion fork with drive side axle lever. Definitely not fox, maybe a proto ohlins? He was always on sram at lapierre from memory. https://www.bikemag.com/photo-of-the-day/ale-di-lullo-84/

Does anyone have sponsor info for canyon or kona ews? Looking at Lew's bike more, it looks really low slung in the mainframe and rear triangle, would fit either of those brands.
That Bruni picture is an old picture while on Lapierre/Sram. Pretty sure it's a pike and the colours may not be accurate with reflections or something.
1/7/2018 7:09pm
PolkaDot wrote:
Looks like Nico Lau is stepping down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdfrV9JBwiJ/?taken-by=cubeactionteam

And that will open a spot at Cube.
Makes me wonder how much of a “spot” that opens up. He’s staying on as a brand ambassador and will race a handful of events. Will they cut his salary considerably..? I assume some travel budget has been opened up? I wonder if they would commit his contract to another rider? My guess would be a young up and comer.
mbikes1
1/7/2018 11:22pm
MacDonald on whichever brand Buchanan is on?
1/7/2018 11:25pm
dirtbeard wrote:
George b back on 100% same as brook
depeche4 wrote:
So where is he going? I know that the two are not on the same team, according to George.
Fuck knows guess we will find out soon
Robson
1/7/2018 11:53pm
mbikes1 wrote:
MacDonald on whichever brand Buchanan is on? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/01/07/5797/s1200_Screenshot_20180108_201832.jpg[/img]
MacDonald on whichever brand Buchanan is on?
I'll put my money on MS Mondraker. The wheelset, Shimano brakes.......
PolkaDot
1/8/2018 12:54am
PolkaDot wrote:
Looks like Nico Lau is stepping down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdfrV9JBwiJ/?taken-by=cubeactionteam

And that will open a spot at Cube.
Makes me wonder how much of a “spot” that opens up. He’s staying on as a brand ambassador and will race a handful of events. Will...
Makes me wonder how much of a “spot” that opens up. He’s staying on as a brand ambassador and will race a handful of events. Will they cut his salary considerably..? I assume some travel budget has been opened up? I wonder if they would commit his contract to another rider? My guess would be a young up and comer.
I don't know if the will cut the salary to Nico. But I know that some one new is entering their roster. Just look at the pictures Cube posted before christmas from their christmas party. You will find a new face.
1/8/2018 1:05am
PolkaDot wrote:
I don't know if the will cut the salary to Nico. But I know that some one new is entering their roster. Just look at the...
I don't know if the will cut the salary to Nico. But I know that some one new is entering their roster. Just look at the pictures Cube posted before christmas from their christmas party. You will find a new face.
In the christmas party vid, I noticed a POC-helmeted figure with a recognizable stance on the bike. Rumors are that Zakka is heading to Cube, and it looks very much like him on the bike...
struc
1/8/2018 6:16am
George Brannigan and Noga Korem on GT

Post a reply to: 2018 Racing Rumors

The Latest