2011 Specialized Enduro or Pitch?

Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 12:22pm
Hey guys,

I have been riding a Giant Warp DS for around 5 years now which has done its job on XC trails. Recently I have been getting in to a lot of downhill riding and have decided it's time to upgrade my bike. Right now I am looking at the specialized Enduro Comp. ($3,000) or Pitch pro ($2,400). The reason I am not looking to buy a DH only bike is because I do not want to restrict myself to only being able to do DH on the bike. I want to have a versatile bike that I can ride XC with AND take to the DH courses.

The thing that makes me unable to decide on which bike to get is the price. I am a college student so price is definitely something that I am taking in to consideration. I want to know your guys' opinion on whether it is worth it to spend the extra $600 to get the enduro or will the pitch be enough for me?

Another thing I was wondering is when does Specialized come out with their 2012 lineup of bikes? Maybe it's worth waiting until next years bikes come out to upgrade.

Thanks.
|
k.shiz
5/21/2011 5:47pm
The Pitch is what I ride and there are very few things on the market that would get me off that bike. I've upgraded just about everything since initially buying the Pitch but the frame itself has lived up to all of my expectations and is my go-to bike for having fun. I've ridden plenty of downhill trails on it and aside from the most hairball rock gardens and the most ridiculous straight high speed stuff, it handles it all just fine. It's 3/4 of a downhill bike in my eyes and as a result, I can go into normal public trails and push the bike as hard as I want to. It climbs alright, but then again nothing in the 6" trail bike range is meant to fly uphill.

If budget is a real concern, save up and replace parts as you need to on the Pitch and you should be very happy. A lot of people dismiss the Pitch because it's an entry level bike but the frame is very capable. With the right suspension set up, it's enough for 99% of riders. I've never been held back by it being an entry level frame.
5/21/2011 6:01pm
Thanks so much for your opinion! I was just wondering what upgrades you have put on the bike since you said that you have upgraded almost everything. Since I am paying a lot for the bike I don't want to have to upgrade all the components immidiately.

Thanks!
k.shiz
5/22/2011 1:52pm
I think the seatpost and seat collar are the only things original at this point on my bike. It's sort of ridiculous because I have essentially an S-Works spec'ed Pitch anymore.

What I'd replace immediately is probably bar/stem, maybe tires (I can't say, I've ridden those Eskar tires), and then start saving up for wheels or suspension upgrades eventually. I remember there being very little that I thought was junk that had to go. Mostly the upgrades came out of personal preference and not to much a need to replace shoddy parts. Snag yourself some new shifters probably, get your pedals, grips, seat (body contact points) of your choice dialed in and you'll be ready to shred.
5/23/2011 12:26am
Could you post what your set up for that bike is and what year the frame is? That way I can have an idea of what your bike is like and I don't have to ask you what component you have for every part of the bike. This will be the first bike I have bought myself (all my other bikes my parents bought me for Christmas) so I want to make it a good bike to last me a while. If you can post some pictures that would be awesome! Thanks!
donch15
5/24/2011 5:23am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2011 6:54am
The Pitch is a great bike and is an ideal choice if you are on a budget or can't spring for the Enduro. You definitely can't go wrong with a Pitch. I have owned both and currently ride a 2010 Enduro.

There are slight differences in geometry between the two bikes and while they are similar, make them handle and feel differently. I would say that the Pitch is more like the last generation Enduro, which it was based of off. The new Enduro is a whole new bike that was designed to be better than it's predecessor (obviously).

If you are planning to use the bike for everything from DH to cross country, I would recommend the Enduro as your quiver killer. While you can certainly upgrade the stock parts on the Pitch as you go, the Enduro has, in my opinion, superior geometry, ISCG tabs to mount a chain guide for DH use, and is a stiffer and burlier bike. Stuff you cannot upgrade on the Pitch.

You will also get slightly more travel and while they have the same rear shock, the Enduro comes stock with a far superior fork as well as wheel set. Both of which are expensive to upgrade after market.

Although it may seem counter intuitive, it always makes more fiscal sense to buy the best bike you can afford from the shop. Buying a cheaper spec'd bike and upgrading the components will almost always cost you more in the long run.

Either way, Specialized makes great bikes and you will have a blast riding whatever you buy.
Storge
5/24/2011 11:05am
Pitch has ISCG tabs Wink

Anyway, it's a hard choice, if you can afford it go with Enduro - only thing you'll want to do is put a mission control in a Lyric since it's just rebound adjustable (OEM fork) on the cheapest model. Enduro is also a little bit shorter than Pitch (TopTube/cockpit), head tubes are little bit longer, the new suspension design (with the shock under the top tube) seems more sensitive to small bumps - one less bushing there.

Hope it helps, cheers! Smile
5/24/2011 11:41am
@donch15 Thanks for the info! I just checked out your bike set-up and it says you have a fox 40 fork. How is that thing? Is there a real noticeable difference going from a six inch fork to an eight?

@Storge How do you put a mission control in a fork that doesn't already come with it? Can you upgrade the fork to have it or would I have to buy a completely new fork? On Rockshox's website they have the totem as the only fork that comes with a mission control. Sounds like I'd have to get a completely new fork to get mission control on my bike.
donch15
5/24/2011 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2011 12:37pm
@donch15 Thanks for the info! I just checked out your bike set-up and it says you have a fox 40 fork. How is that thing? Is...
@donch15 Thanks for the info! I just checked out your bike set-up and it says you have a fox 40 fork. How is that thing? Is there a real noticeable difference going from a six inch fork to an eight?

@Storge How do you put a mission control in a fork that doesn't already come with it? Can you upgrade the fork to have it or would I have to buy a completely new fork? On Rockshox's website they have the totem as the only fork that comes with a mission control. Sounds like I'd have to get a completely new fork to get mission control on my bike.
Not a problem. I would not recomend putting a Fox 40 on either an Enduro or Pitch. I have one on my Intense 951.

I have a Fox 36 Talas on my Enduro. It's an amazing fork.

As far as the Lyrik on the Enduro, you can swap out the stock catridge for a mission control damper pretty easily. They damper retails for around $100.

You can't go wrong either way, they are both great bikes.
5/26/2011 12:57am
@donch15 Why do you ride an intense over any other bike? What made you buy that bike? Just wondering what the thought process is like when people buy bikes. Since this is the first bike I will be buying for myself I'd like to know what things people who know a lot about mountain biking consider when they buy a new bike. For example things like geometry and components... that kinda stuff. I know the components must be personal preference to a certain degree, but there also must be a reason why one is better than another.

Post a reply to: 2011 Specialized Enduro or Pitch?

The Latest