My Tramontane Mk2 Proto.

MrPlow
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 10:26pm
Hey fellas.
Thought I should finally post a few pics of the bike I have been working on over the past few years.
This is the 2nd proto. first reasonably successfull but I had so many new ideas that I started again.
Frame is carbon, uni directional, vacuum bagged, mostly handmade female moulds.
Drivetrain is fully internal (there is a cover to go over the lower around the cranks).
Shock is internal, accesible by the seat mast.
gearing is a DIB style but in swingarm, freewheel on hub is locked, and a freewheel up concentric with the pivot allows shifting while coasting.

This is probably as "pretty" as it will look as I plan to use this chasis as a rolling test bed for different suspension system I have in mind, as well as a different gearing system.

Yes it is raked and low! My moulds allow me to custom the geo. the cranks are 160mm. So I went a 13.5 BB and 63 HA.
Weight is 41lb. But this one is overbuilt so I can afford to cut it to bits without it falling apart. some of the carbon is 12mm thick!

Shock is sitting vertically. the top shop mount is near the back of the seat mast. There is a link to a rising rate lever from the swingarm down.

Bit of assembly to go. Then some more riding as soon as our trails are better (I live in Toowoomba and flooding has fooked everything )

After riding, new sexier moulds (and a better decal / paint scheme!) will be made with a view to go into production. I am taking my time on this to get it right though. More info here...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tramontane-Cycles/106494828315

Thanks for looking
Cheers,
Greg

|
bturman
2/22/2011 4:12am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2011 2:19pm
Fixed your links Wink

How much weight do you think you can reasonably save on the next version? Is it difficult to route your brakes and shifters internally?

MrPlow
2/22/2011 4:39am
Thanks for fixing the links Smile

Bike weighs 41lb there. I am confident I can get it under 39. There is 12mm thick carbon there in the head tube etc.

This bike was made with less than perfect moulds, with the right moulds and a bit of refinement in shapes and proceedures I could pull a lot more weight from the frame. Then the actual driveline could go on a diet as well.
audeo03
2/23/2011 3:19pm
WOW. You have obviously put in a lot of work, and very good work at that. My only two cents would be that maybe it should have a slightly lower seat mast. That way, people can have a little more adjust-ability is seat height via post length...
MrPlow
2/23/2011 4:05pm
audeo03 wrote:
WOW. You have obviously put in a lot of work, and very good work at that. My only two cents would be that maybe it should...
WOW. You have obviously put in a lot of work, and very good work at that. My only two cents would be that maybe it should have a slightly lower seat mast. That way, people can have a little more adjust-ability is seat height via post length...
Thanks Audeo.
The seat height is adjustable, and the height there is actually very low. It doesn't look it I know, but I get tyre buz with 8" travel.
I would plan on making 3 different seat masts anyway, people can mix and match what they want then.
Cheers,
Greg
sspomer
2/23/2011 6:21pm
i love the lines on it! what a beauty, awesome work!
enrico650
2/25/2011 10:13am
The floating rear brake has to go!
Orange 223 and the chumba f5 have the set up, and riders including world cup contenders have replace them with fixed mounts.
The new orange 224 does not come with it.
Duncan rifle has made comments about it and said that his chumba f5 suspension was more active with the fixed brake.
big bear
2/25/2011 11:31am
carbon is definitely looking like the future. The high pivot, moto link (superco, zerode, lahar) eats bumps.

The main pivot is much higher than a F5 and 224 and needs a floating brake arm.
Big Bird
2/26/2011 8:21am
Really nice work! I make my own too, but I'm a long way from carbon technology. I'm curious if the internal drivetrain is totally quiet, or if there is any chain slap in the rough stuff?
MrPlow
2/26/2011 2:21pm
The chain is going through with a kind of foam bonded to it. So it is pretty well silent.
Big Bird
3/8/2011 9:26am
Sweet. I see that you're from Australia. When you go into production, will you have U.S. distribution?

Post a reply to: My Tramontane Mk2 Proto.

The Latest