Sea Otter Eater's Guide

bpatterson6
4/6/2011 12:36pm
In Salinas. Goto TICO's Tacos! A locals only kind of place but the Mexican food is off the hook.
We really enjoyed it last year!
sspomer
4/6/2011 12:45pm
does the sea otter food court count as a local place? i know the momentum trail/solvista guys really dig the calamari i, however, prefer the alfredo w/ blackened chicken.
MTB R&D
4/6/2011 1:10pm
sspomer wrote:
does the sea otter food court count as a local place? i know the momentum trail/solvista guys really dig the calamari i, however, prefer the alfredo...
does the sea otter food court count as a local place? i know the momentum trail/solvista guys really dig the calamari i, however, prefer the alfredo w/ blackened chicken.
True that. The teriyaki chicken stick things....GOOD!
Yuroshek
4/6/2011 1:21pm
screw the eats! where are we getting our drink on?
Furbs
4/6/2011 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2011 1:25pm
R.G. Burger in Monterey.

570 Munras Avenue
Monterey, CA 93940

Super good food
TRex
4/6/2011 2:13pm
If anyone sees him, ask Curtis Keene, he knows ALL the food stops.
jrlombard
4/6/2011 2:14pm
Some good food in the surrounding areas. Lots of options.

R.G. Burger is good (also right around the corner from Peet's coffee in case you need a recharge)

For good Mexican, hit up Baldemiro's at the top of Fremont in Seaside. The place is a total dive, but the food is killer.

Pizza My Heart in the Del Monte Center Mall, I'm a big fan of their pesto pie.

Great sushi at Sushi By the Bay on Fremont.

If you're looking for something a little more upscale, check out the Fish House on Del Monte Blvd. (will probably require reservations).
ballr
4/6/2011 2:24pm
I go calamari for breakfast and lunch and shake industry types down for free beer for dinner. No sense lettiing all that off-season conditioning go to waste. I train for Sea Otter all winter by consuming as much fried food and alcohol as possible. How else am is my body supposed to perform in Monterey if I don't teach it to expect the best race fuel while I'm there?
bdamschen
4/6/2011 2:48pm
Michaels if you're down with big ol grilled shrimp in your burrito. Get the house burrito: http://michaelsgrillandtaqueria.com/

Off the hook sushi- go to Crystal Fish in monterey on Lighthouse: http://crystalfishsushi.com/

For awesome hard core mexican food, hit up Mi Tierra market in Seaside: 1000 Broadway Avenue, Seaside, CA

Best steak sandwich EVER- El Palmar in Marina next to Mortimer's. Don't ask me if any of the other food is good, I have no clue because it's impossible not to want to order a steak sandwich from there. 3102 Del Monte Boulevard
Marina, CA 93933
4/6/2011 5:25pm
for cheap cheap good socal style mexican,
gotta hit up papa chevos on fremont st in seaside!!
Tracer Tong
4/7/2011 12:34am
To eat in Monterey:

Papa Chano's on Alvarado has good mexican food.

Pizza My Heart at the Del Monte Center has GREAT pizza. The Chipotle just down from it isn't bad at all.

The Myo frozen yogurt joint on Alvarado is really good.

In-n-Out Burger in Salinas.

Casa Bodega liquor store actually makes some pretty legit mexican food, mainly to go stuff.

There are plenty of other places, but those are my favorites.
4/7/2011 2:11am
Lots of good ideas have been offered, including not overlooking Sea Otter's won Beer & BBQ Garden--right up against the new Speed and Style, and the Food Court.

Here's something you may not yet be aware of: All over Monterey County, you get a discount on Thursdays--including April 14, SOC Opening Day, just because you ride a bike. That includes over 140 restaurants, plus wineries, museums, hotels, hostel, and more.

These places have been hand-picked by a local as the best businesses and organizations to lead the HER Helmet Thursdays project. They include a variety of price ranges, and they are located all over Monterey County.

They all give discounts on Thursdays, year-round, to males and females who ride their bikes. To get the discount, bike there, then walk in with your bike helmet and mention HER Helmet Thursdays. For lodging places, there are different arrangements: don't have to bike there, just BYOB (bike) or rent one for a day or longer from any Monterey County shop.

What's HER? H=Hotels, E=Educational and Entertainment venues, and R=Restaurants; and related places, too. HER also stands for Ma Earth, who benefits from more people pedaling.

So...when you're looking for good restaurants, start by checking out the HER Helmet Thursdays participants. And from there, check out the HER Helmet Thursdays spots that have further been identified as winners by the Monterey County Weekly's annual "Best of" readers poll: http://marilynch.com/blog/bike-to-the-best-of-monterey-county-2011-her-…

Welcome to Monterey County!
MDJ
4/7/2011 8:20am
We always seem to stop at Pelican Pizza on Lighthouse avenue when in Monterrey.
bdamschen
4/7/2011 9:07am
MDJ wrote:
We always seem to stop at Pelican Pizza on Lighthouse avenue when in Monterrey.
Pro tip: Pelican pizza delivery will also deliver up to a six pack of beer.
Sean
4/7/2011 12:45pm
crabby jims on the wharf has the best clam chowda. Like 9 bucks for a breadbowl. Which definitely beats the $9 for a hot dog at Sea Otter
4/8/2011 8:27am
the whole enchilada. its by the power plant so its got a little extra spice to it. but seriously. pretty good little spot.
4/8/2011 8:31am
also bubba gumps is pretty bomb...

720 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940
Ph: 831-373-1884
FCTRY
4/8/2011 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2011 10:27am
We've been out here for a week thus far, and can confirm that Baldemiro's is where it's at.

Curly's BBQ on Fremont in Seaside was excellent.

Turtle Bay taqueria is also good

About to go check out RG burger in Monterey.
4/18/2011 8:55am
@ bdamschen.

We came up from San Diego.
Michaels, one of the best Mexican hole in the wall places to eat.
House burrito was SO GOOD!!!!!!!

Thanks Dude.

Post a reply to: Sea Otter Eater's Guide

The Latest