2011 demo 8 + vivid air

Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 3:04am
hey guys,
just need help figuring this out, i have contacted SRAM, specialized and my local bike shop already but i still havnt gotten a great answer about this.the only thing i found out is that fsr frame like the demo needs a mid tune vivid air and i need a vivid air 9.5x3.0.
my next question is the 2011 demo 8 has that Y shaped piece close to the rear tire where the shock pivots are located,and how do u switch this? any info can help..the link below shows the pic i am talking about...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2011-specialized-demo-8.html

thanks guys for any help and info..i appreciate it...
|
Big Bird
3/6/2012 9:16am
I'm pretty sure that the y shaped piece just slips over the end of the shock and gets bolted through where the bushing usually goes. I'm building up my friend's new one this weekend. I'll check it out and get back to you.
Congener
3/6/2012 10:58am
Unfortunately, putting a Vivid Air on a 2011 Demo 8 is not a simple task. In stock configuration, the air inlet contacts the frame preventing proper alignment. In order to get the Vivid Air to fit, the shock needs to be modified (unless this mod was done by Rock Shox in the 2012 Vivid Air Models) but neither Specialized nor Rock Shox recommends this and most likely will void any warranty issues resulting from the modification. I know you saw the photos in Pink Bike, but at that time, that Vivid Air was not stock. The modification is not difficult and if you take a look at the Vivid Air Tech Manual, and the exploded view of the shock internals you can figure out what to do. But do you really want to do it to a brand new $600 shock and risk not doing it correctly?

Also, the Shock Extension (or Y shaped piece) that comes stock on the frame is specifically for the Fox shocks. You will need a Vivid shock extension and even with that, the extension will need to be modified to accommodate the Vivid Air rebound knob. My recommendation is not try to modify a Vivid Air to fit the 2011 Demo 8 frame.
jnooth
3/6/2012 11:18am
I did this. I was told how to modify the shock to make it fit. I did this and it worked great for a few rides. but it didnt last. the shock lost all pressure. Got a new one and tried again. same thing. I Saw the sram guys and they said i was doing it wrong and they dont suggest trying it yourself. that being said. they did take my shock and did what needed to be done and its been awesome ever since. When I asked them what they did they would not tell me because they didnt want it to be done. also the "Y" extender needs to be modified.

I love my vivid air to death but in all honesty, if something happens to this shock I will not go thru the hassle again.
Renohk
4/11/2013 12:26am
jnooth wrote:
I did this. I was told how to modify the shock to make it fit. I did this and it worked great for a few rides...
I did this. I was told how to modify the shock to make it fit. I did this and it worked great for a few rides. but it didnt last. the shock lost all pressure. Got a new one and tried again. same thing. I Saw the sram guys and they said i was doing it wrong and they dont suggest trying it yourself. that being said. they did take my shock and did what needed to be done and its been awesome ever since. When I asked them what they did they would not tell me because they didnt want it to be done. also the "Y" extender needs to be modified.

I love my vivid air to death but in all honesty, if something happens to this shock I will not go thru the hassle again.
I've been through the same problems with a couple of Vivid airs like you, and I gave up - now riding a Vivid air on my Demo that acts weird and looses air....
I really wanna make it work since I see it as this is the shock that'll give me the adjustability I want!!
The Sram guys you're talking about in your post, who are they and how do I get in touch with 'em??

Post a reply to: 2011 demo 8 + vivid air

The Latest