Accessibility Widget: On | Off
Related:
Create New Tag
sspomer sspomer
3/16/2011 8:14 AM

saw these offset shock bushings on dirt mag as a solution to a slacker head angle and lower bottom bracket. pretty cool idea. does it work? no idea.

dirt has all the details

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Matt_Wragg Matt_Wragg
3/16/2011 8:46 AM

In a word, yes. Kevin's sent me a set to test and I fitted them to my Commencal Supreme this afternoon, should have the review up on southerndownhill.com this week. In effect they reduce the eye-to-eye length of your shock. I've got the 3mm offset bushings (the most offset he does), so the eye-to-eye is reduced by 6mm. It's not exactly a radical change, but it's noticeable and Kevin who makes them is a lovely guy to deal wtih.

sspomer sspomer
3/16/2011 8:48 AM

awesome. thanks for the heads up and keep us posted!

tarka tarka
3/16/2011 8:56 AM

awesome indeed, I've been looking for a good way to run a 2.75"stroke shock on my nomad without raising the bb height, 6mm is ~0.24" so just about perfect for bumping up from 2.5 to 2.75 stroke (and 8.5 to 8.75 i2i), increasing travel from 6.5 to 7.1"

BTW, this is a cool way to get around buying an expensive new link from Push to increase travel on new nomads..

I want. How much for shipping to the US?

BMA Film Festival coordinator

misterpeanut misterpeanut
3/16/2011 9:04 AM

There was a post on Pinkbike about how they had Elka make them a custom eye to eye shock with the same stroke for a 2010 Giant Glory to drop the bb a bit and slacken the head angle. This would acheive the same thing with out the $600 price tag of a custom shock. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Andrew_Patterson Andrew_Patterson
3/16/2011 10:34 AM

*COUGH* Specialized Demo 8 2011 *COUGH*

CG83 CG83
3/16/2011 10:51 AM

Who needs engineers for suspension and frame design anyways?

There are quite a few variables that these bushings effect in the geometry and handling department. In my opinion, it is a little too broad stroked of a design to be implemented for all bikes.

Surfwax Surfwax
3/16/2011 11:01 AM

From the Dirt link...

"The bushes are made of 6082 T6 alu. This means it’s a hard surface and the type of alu is very stiff with no flex."

If the bushing material is harder/stiffer than your frame material you'll ovalize the shock mounts on your frame instead of the bushing. Bushings are meant to be sacrificial, that's the whole reason they exist. In addition, the offset of the bore decreases the amount of material between the shock pin and the frame which only helps to transmit more of the impacts your bike sees to the frame instead of the bushing absorbing the forces. On top of all that the bushing will probably rotate (read more wear and tear) through the travel as the shock tries to achieve the most neutral position.

"They are drilled and reamed to exactly 8 and 6mm holes so it gives the best possible fit on the bolt (less knocking)"

If your rear shock hardware knocks that generally means it's loose or it's time to replace it. Either that or your frame is cooked.

The thin insert that rides between the shock body eyelet and the bushings isn't designed to mitigate the damage your frame might see. The insert is designed to compensate for misalignment in the frame members and/or linkages. The added stress from stiffer bushings will make these wear out that much quicker.

BUT! maybe if you're at a level where decreasing your shock eye to eye length by 6mm makes enough of a difference in your riding to warrant the use of the custom bushings you are destroying bikes at a rate where none of the above is even relevant.

Surfwax Surfwax
3/16/2011 11:05 AM

The specalized setup is a little different. Notice how they fully capture the adjustment end inside the yoke.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2011-specialized-demo-8.html

Nagaredama Nagaredama
3/16/2011 11:10 AM

I did this on my 2006 Devinci Wilson 3 years ago. Funny Dirt considers this to be an innovation.

VWilliams VWilliams
3/16/2011 11:37 AM

We've tried these on a few different bikes at Go-Ride. You have to make certain there is clearance, as the point where the bike bottoms out can change quite a bit. A much easier, and cheaper way to play with geometry, than an adjustable headset, or a custom shock. Honestly surprised we haven't seen more of these with everyones differing opinions on what geometry numbers work the best.

Job - Go-Ride.com
Bike - SuperCo Charger

MTB R&D MTB R&D
3/16/2011 12:11 PM

That's pretty cool, but we win on the easiest geo change. tongue wink

Lance

Erik_Hansen Erik_Hansen
3/16/2011 12:13 PM

Pretty old idea actually. Seen a few posts on people doing it 2-3 years ago. We had a local shop custom machine stuff for us. It slackened my wife's SX trail out a half degree or so

You would have to be careful though. especially with the tire contacting the seatpost which can already be a problem with some DH bikes.

spankthewan spankthewan
3/16/2011 1:27 PM

Either some of you guys are a lot more observant than I am, or you just like to nitpick. I think that with changes this small, you will just tell yourself it feels better, because you WANT to believe it does. The ideal setup may vary on every 10 feet of trail. Keep playing mind games with yourselves, and you'll never be satisfied with your bikes.

Ass Ass Ass

rkf_13 rkf_13
3/16/2011 1:56 PM

This is essentially the exact same thing as what is on the Yeti 303RDH that allows you to adjust the head angle and bb height.

joss joss
3/16/2011 9:07 PM

The bushings we tested were proto (as in prototype: rough, scragly, unfinished), but those things look prodo (as in production: clean). Like VW, I'm surprised no one has gone prodo with these earlier, as they really made a nice difference on a number of bikes. Someone could make hundreds of dollars selling those things.

@ Erik: you can't expect everyone to be quite as cutting-edge as we are in Utah. BTW: nice 'stache!

@ Spank: We gotta stay ahead of main-stream production. After all, it's the riders who give production all their good ideas...just like Towlie from South Park.

el capitan el capitan
3/17/2011 1:13 PM
spankthewan wrote:

Either some of you guys ...more

Bike w/super-low leverage ratios, yeah you won't see that big of a difference.. But bikes on the higher side will see a greater change(IE -6mm on the eye2eye of 3:1 leverage ratio bike will turn into -18mm difference at the wheel/axle)

laketown laketown
3/17/2011 2:41 PM
Erik_Hansen wrote:

Pretty old idea actually. ...more

Pretty sure Erik got the reducer bushings at Lake Town Bicycles

Erik_Hansen Erik_Hansen
3/17/2011 2:49 PM
Erik_Hansen wrote:

Pretty old idea actually. ...more

laketown wrote:

Pretty sure Erik got the ...more

yep, sure did. Thanks guys. Now we just need to get sara out to test them

sspomer sspomer
3/22/2011 11:35 AM
Sam_Halton Sam_Halton
4/6/2011 1:44 PM

ive had these on my bottlerocket for over two years. the do exactly what theyre supposed to! makes it a sick mini dh bike when i have the coil on it.

kidwoo kidwoo
4/14/2011 3:41 PM

Can you buy these things in the states anywhere?

Jeron Jeron
2/18/2013 3:29 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys - but you can buy them if you are in the states or anywhere in the world.

www.offsetbushings.com ship internationally!

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry