Street 180...

Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 4:09am
Hi, so recently i bought a ns holy 2009 from a guy who wanted to ride downhill. Im having a really hard time learning the 180, its pissing the heck out of me. I can do it nearly perfect on a bmx, but on my bike its just pain in the ass. Ive been trying it for nearly a month now and i get like 120 degrees and im kinda afraid to do it with more speed. I sometimes get the rotation, but then i end up going forward, not backwards. Any help please? My hop is pretty decent btw. Smile
|
Big Bird
6/19/2012 9:32am
It's been a while, But it's all in the feet. Pop your rotation and as your passing 90 degrees, concentrate on tucking your feet up and in the direction of rotation. This helps tighten your center of gravity like an ice skater spinning and keeps your rear wheel higher so that it doesn't hit the ground early and stop the rotation. Any other suggestions out there?
Big Bird
6/21/2012 7:19pm
I tried one today just to make sure that I wasn't full of crap. Yup, it's all in the pop and the feet.
6/22/2012 1:50pm
okay dude thanks to your post now i get 4 out of 5, but the problem is that i land dead, not going into fakie at all.
Big Bird
6/23/2012 9:00am
Just get comfortable doing the rotation and gradually add speed. Then make sure you land off the brakes and concentrate on pedaling backwards just a bit faster than the hub needs to go.
cjflorider
7/20/2012 3:34pm
speed is a important part of it. the faster u go the more easy it i to fakie, it sounds crazy but if u use your rotation it whips u out faster. also u have to find out where to stop pedaling and to stomp ur cranks forward. 180,s are one of my favs once u get the pedal thing u can launch or just jump off stuff, but it took me a more than a few times to learnSmile
8/14/2012 12:04pm
ok its been almost 2 months and i still cant fakie... Idk whats wrong with my 180s. A friend of mine told me that i carve too much so i tried to carve less but i still cant. I think my speed is good for rolling backwards... any suggestions?
Big Bird
8/14/2012 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2012 7:28pm
Your friend might be on to something. Check out some of the recent videos of freeriders on big bikes 360ing off things. Or on a hardtail off of a boner log. They start spinning from almost straight. The carve is stylish and feels really good, but it's less efficient. It also gives you more trouble on the landing to fakie. If you pop the 180 from a carve, you land it in a carve and have to correct. It can be done and looks great. Check out Jim Tharp for evidence of that. But if you pop it more vertically, some say "Off the front wheel.", you don't have to correct as much and can get about backpedaling right away. By the way, I'm a carver too. Sometimes the harder way is better and just takes a bit more practice.
8/17/2012 2:08pm
Ok so i started trying it without carving and today i landed my very first flat 180 and my friend told me it was pretty clean for a first one so thank you guys Smile
9/5/2012 3:43pm
spinning to fakie is all about using your momentum and being light on the pedals. Once youve got the transfer of your weight from the center of your bike to behind, you will find that you can under rotate the spin if needed and still make up for it with body location. Like they stated above more speed is good... plus it will cause you to commit (:

Post a reply to: Street 180...

The Latest