I need a new sprocket? Suggestions Plz

Big Bird
5/27/2013 8:33am
I don't have a Spec. catalog here, but I'm pretty sure that those bikes have standard BMX cranks and sprockets. So any sprocket from your local bike shop or Dan's Comp should work. Just choose a size and color and go for it. If you go to a bigger front though, remember that you'll probably need a longer chain, depending on where your axle sits in the dropouts. If there's room to use the same chain go for it because a short rear end is best. I wouldn't go too much bigger in one step in terms of size. It can get hard to pedal pretty quick. Another option that can be a little more tricky would be to go smaller in the rear. A friend of mine figured out that by swapping out the bearings and loosing a spacer, you can fit an Odessey BMX one piece 9 tooth driver on the stock single speed hub. No promises, but it worked on his Woodman and my Novara, which look to have been made by the same factory in Taiwan as the Spec.
MTB_Jacob
5/27/2013 8:38am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2013 8:38am
Big Bird wrote:
I don't have a Spec. catalog here, but I'm pretty sure that those bikes have standard BMX cranks and sprockets. So any sprocket from your local...
I don't have a Spec. catalog here, but I'm pretty sure that those bikes have standard BMX cranks and sprockets. So any sprocket from your local bike shop or Dan's Comp should work. Just choose a size and color and go for it. If you go to a bigger front though, remember that you'll probably need a longer chain, depending on where your axle sits in the dropouts. If there's room to use the same chain go for it because a short rear end is best. I wouldn't go too much bigger in one step in terms of size. It can get hard to pedal pretty quick. Another option that can be a little more tricky would be to go smaller in the rear. A friend of mine figured out that by swapping out the bearings and loosing a spacer, you can fit an Odessey BMX one piece 9 tooth driver on the stock single speed hub. No promises, but it worked on his Woodman and my Novara, which look to have been made by the same factory in Taiwan as the Spec.
Thx i think i get a new chain and a sprocket any suggestions on a chain
erikthefatty
5/27/2013 5:04pm
I'm using a KMC 710 SL. No complaints.
If you need to figure out what you're running in terms of gear inches, it's sprocket divided by cog multiplied by wheel size.
55 gear inches is the median.
My bike is at 58.6, and it works well for me. I wouldn't go much higher than that, but that's just my personal preference.
cpad
5/27/2013 7:07pm
i just put a hoffman dinky sprocket from danscomp on my djmtb. it was only $9.99 and it looks rad. looks like they still have those in stock in some sizes.

Post a reply to: I need a new sprocket? Suggestions Plz

The Latest